Siemens Relays

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I have now done 4000 miles on my V11, it has 6000 in total. Bought at 3 years old with 2000 miles on late last June, so is a red frame 2000 model. Obviously the bike wasn't much used by the previous 2 owners as the tyres were unworn and only 2K miles in 3 years!

I still have all the Siemens relays and my bike is reliable so far.

When are these relays going to let go then? (Or is the deathwish of the Siemens relay somewhat exaggerated).

Point: I never start the bike with the lights switched on, so the lighting relay doesn't have to break at full current.

Guest Nogbad
My '02 LeMans has 22,000 miles on it with the original relays. My '96 California has 67,000 miles on it and I've replaced one relay.

46180[/snapback]

Ha. The truth will out! Trouble with sites like this is you end up a bikochondriac..... :D

Guest Nogbad
So you like to play Russian Roulette, eh?

shotgun.jpg

46185[/snapback]

No mate; German Relette actually.

You don't scare me, except with the pictures of your girlfriends playing catch!

Anyway, I look forward to receiving some good "mean time before failure" data for these Siemens relays in the V11. Otherwise I'll just carry on and play the game!

Real world data, the relay for the starter went out at 2500 miles, the one for the ECU at 7500. The same relays are in my Dodge p/u the one for the trans went out at 90,000.

The ones in the bike had moisture inside, the one in the p/u came apart, probably due to the rough roads out here in the woods. I no longer have Siemans relays in anything I own. I can send you my old ones post if you would like ,otherwise I'll leave 'em in the toolbox. :2c:

Guest Nogbad
Real world data, the relay for the starter went out at 2500 miles, the one for the ECU at 7500. The same relays are in my Dodge p/u the one for the trans went out at 90,000.

The ones in the bike had moisture inside, the one in the p/u came apart, probably due to the rough roads out here in the woods. I no longer have Siemans relays in anything I own. I can send you my old ones post if you would like ,otherwise I'll leave 'em in the toolbox.  :2c:

46190[/snapback]

Thanks for the offer, but I think they better stay living in the toolbox. Maybe they don't like vibration. I guess I should swap them out for alternatives to be on the safe side. Have you data on compatibles? Ones that plug straight into the existing sockets.

If on the other hand the sockets are bad too, there are some Tyco automotive relays with high current (40A) contacts that would probably do fine with a homemade metal bracket and minor connector mods.

I got the Bosch ones from Todd at MPH, dlaing is using some other kind of relay :huh2:

http://www.guzzitech.com/Relays.html

When I was doing a search, I came across this quote from John O'sullivan

" When I checked my '02 Scura relays, I found two (2) of the old bad Siemens relays and have replaced all with Tyco relays which were sourced locally."

Unfortunatley he didn't say what part #

I am using one GEI relay for the starter relay and the rest are Bosch.

The Bosch have failed when used as a starter relay.

The Siemmens failed me but, I believe it has more to do with the wiring layout.

On the 1999/2000/2001 bikes, too much electricity flows through the starter relay to the lighting when one either uses the horn or the flasher while the high beam is on.

If you seldom use the horn or the flasher, you will not be as likely to have problems with your starter relay.

But the relays are still subject to a lot of vibration and may otherwise fail...as TX' did.

Later bikes, 2002???/2003/2004 have improved wiring and a better relay mounting point.

My GEI relay has worked flawlessly, despite my deliberately driving around with the flasher button held down.

Even after the change from Siemmens, I will not go anywhere without a spare as some of my Bosch have been flakey, too.

But it too, probably has more to do with wiring problems than bad relay manufacturing.

Also, Siemmens does make many excellent products and Guzzi probably just got hold of some that were mildly defective.

So, yours are obviously fine, and probably just as well made as the Bosch, so stick with them, but do carry a spare.

FWIW, since I eliminated the kickstand/neutral safety switch, I no longer need one of the relays. So that one acts as a spare. Yah, it gets some wear and tear, as it is activated when the bike goes into neutral, but little current flows through it as half the current flows through a different path, where the kickstand switch was. I suppose I could disconnect the wires, but why bother.

I ordered Bosch relays p/n 0 332 207 307 from Waytech Inc. this am for very reasonable price. Don't know if I really need to replace the Seimans but after reading all the bad stories I'm doing it before a problem develops.

dlaing, would you share your source and p/n for the GEI relay?

My '99 V11 has Omron G8H-1C4-TR-12DC automotive relays fitted - no problems in 42,000 miles :) .

These relays are available from RS Components, part number 349-2121 @ £4.49 + vat each. Their web site is http://rswww.com and they have trade counters all over the UK.

Hope this helps :mg: