Siemens Relays

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Thanks, I saw these but I had got the impression that people were replacing their 10A relays with 16A or more units.

Probably what I would like to do is replace most of the Siemens with these, and if necessary swap out the one with the high current load (lighting?) for a larger rating, even if it means removing one of the sockets and modifying the wiring slightly.

Unless of course there really is no problem with a 10A relay.... I never operate the horn and the headlight flasher simultaneously, hell I lack the co-ordination to do that!

So, someone tell me which relays are under-rated at 10A!

Guest Nogbad
You needn't have any worries - I can assure you that the Omron relay is perfect for this application  :thumbsup::luigi:.

46269[/snapback]

Thanks. I'll order up a complete set and keep the Siemens ones as spares. Although from what you say they will probably stay in my toolbox for good.

Thanks, I saw these but I had got the impression that people were replacing their 10A relays with 16A or more units.

Probably what I would like to do is replace most of the Siemens with these, and if necessary swap out the one with the high current load (lighting?) for a larger rating, even if it means removing one of the sockets and modifying the wiring slightly.

Unless of course there really is no problem with a 10A relay.... I never operate the horn and the headlight flasher simultaneously, hell I lack the co-ordination to do that!

So, someone tell me which relays are under-rated at 10A!

46268[/snapback]

If you add it all up the 'relay' is very close to under-rated, but it is the relay that is closest to being under-rated of the set.

If you turn on the low beam, flash the high beam and hit the brake you have 50w +65w +21w

= 136w which is pretty close to 10 amps, and maybe a little more.

However most people do not hit the flasher while braking, but they might hit the horn and brake.

I have no idea how many amps the horn pulls.

Of course if you have the low beam on, hit the horn, the brake and the flasher, you are well over 10amps.

And if you never simultaneously hit the brake and flasher, or brake and horn , or horn and flasher, you should be fine. But the starter solenoid draws about 17amps, which is kind of close to the 20amp rating...

According to http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tec...light-bulbs.htm

brakelights vary from the OE 21/5 at 1.86amps to a 2397 at 2.23amps.

I run an 1157 which uses 2.1 amps

If you replace the brake light with an LED you could probably extend your relay life.

You could also do the headlight relay modification and be done with the overload on the starter relay. And or you get the GEI relay which is an easy fix.

I don't know if Dan will ship to Europe, but I suspect it is worth a try as the package is very small.

From Dan's FAQ:

Why do you no longer carry the Bosch 0-332-207-307 relays?

Some newer Guzzi's run the lights (headlight, tail light, dash lighting) through the Normally Closed starter relay contacts (Terminal 87a) rather than through a separate headlight relay. While the lighting load is less than the 10 amp rating of the Bosch, it is uncomfortably close. Further, the Valeo starter solenoid draws about 17 amps, which again is uncomfortably close to the 20 amp rating on the Bosch Normally Open contacts.

So why do you now carry the Greenwich Electronics relay?

Because it is rated for a greater load than the Bosch. The NO terminals (30 & 87) are rated at 25 amps on the GEI vs. 20 amps on the Bosch. The NC terminal (87a) is rated at 20 amps on the GEI, but only 10 amps on the Bosch.

Guest Nogbad

I suppose in an ideal world I would try to get GEI relays, but given the fact that Dan wants a personal check and I don't know if an English one can be written in dollars, and the fact that these Omron relays seem to work I think I'll go with the Omron solution. After all, the old style Siemens "73" series units are still working.

I wonder if the European bikes have a different wiring diagram.

I have heard people say they have a switch to turn the headlights off, but the North American models don't have that.

It could make a difference, and explain why the Siemmens are still working.

Well the safety Nazis have taken over the European spec V11s as well, and we also have no on / off switches for our headlights.

Nice of them to think of our welfare and ensure our lights are on whether we like it or not!

Guy :helmet:

Well the safety Nazis have taken over the European spec V11s as well, and we also have no on / off switches for our headlights.

Nice of them to think of our welfare and ensure our lights are on whether we like it or not!

Guy  :helmet:

46289[/snapback]

What do you mean? Your headlight is on all the time? :huh2:

Yes the fuggin thing is on all the time whether I like it or not! Just like a bloody Volvo!!

I think they decided to do it from 2003 onwards.

46295[/snapback]

That's contributing to global warming, that is. :sun:

Guest Nogbad
I wonder if the European bikes have a different wiring diagram.

I have heard people say they have a switch to turn the headlights off, but the North American models don't have that.

It could make a difference, and explain why the Siemmens are still working.

46285[/snapback]

Yes, my V11 has a switch on the left bar that allows you to ride with the lights off if you so choose. Quite right too. Futhermore, if I ever buy a new one that doesn't, I shall fit the old type left switchgear and revise the wiring.

Who the f**k do these bureaucrats think they are anyway.

I should retrofit one of these switches. Maybe when I put in the dedicated headlight relays :sun:

There have been a few times when my bike has sat for weeks and I want to make sure it gets a good charge, so I just disconnect the headlight and ride...piece of cake on a sport, but not on a lemans. But if there is a cop, I can't just quickly turn it back on...but it might be too late by then anyway... :glare:

Yes the fuggin thing is on all the time whether I like it or not! Just like a bloody Volvo!!

I think they decided to do it from 2003 onwards.

46295[/snapback]

Stateside, from 1978 onwards... You're only 15 years behind the times!

;)

(Lucky you!)

:bike:

I thought the same way too. But one morning I fired up the bike and rode to work and while on the back roads in the dark, the headlamp went out. I pulled to the side of the road and turned the bike off then restared it and the lights came back on. So now I am a believer of throwing the Siemens relays away.

Humm, My Jackal still has the Siemens relays and they work great. :homer:

Mike

My '02 LeMans has 22,000 miles on it with the original relays. My '96 California has 67,000 miles on it and I've replaced one relay.

46180[/snapback]