Blistering blue barnacles!

belfastguzzi

Excellent. Thanks to all.

Hopefully I will see some daylight at the weekend and will get a few photos. :pic:

In fact, there is a clear coat on the matt black tank. This is what is lifting off. Perhaps it is wearing thin and then moisture is getting under it? This is only going to get worse.

There are a few raised spots in the area. I wonder are these blisters forming?

I took some quick photos but haven't had time to closely examine this – I think that there may be a hole that actually goes deeper than the clear coat, into the black underneath.

This is different from your problem finish, Al?

tank4a.jpg

tank5a.jpg

tank6a.jpg

There are few different pics here > Scura tank pics

Yeah, this is different from the paint failure on my bike, and the RM I saw before. In my case(and RM), the color coat under the clear coat, actually cracked/failed first, then "erupted" through the clear coat. It was quite interesting to watch progress over a few months.

Yours looks like the clear coat on my 16 yr old Suburban.... which just started peeling off last year.

al

To me it doesn't look like a clear coat is peeling off, Instead it looks like

your bike has been repainted with very bad (and wrong)preperations,from somekind of amature, over the factory colour and now this(second) layer of paint is peeling off and I am about sertain for this..

I can see that white primer under the second layer over the "old" paint and then peeling all together with the "second" layer, whoever did this repaint ,was a complete moron :stupid:157.png

a043.gif .

I could bet on it if I was there to see it live , but for right now that's what I can say to you :2c:

Take it to a REALY good pro to rework on it because this thing will peel off more and more. -_- But this will be costy.

P.S. In your case I would consider getting this ebay offerScura Tank-ebay(previously posted here)

but then again who is sure that this is a good tank with a good paint on it,ect.ect.

I don't know that's your decision

belfastguzzi, was that tank kept wet for any extended time period like under a damp tarp or subjected to high pressure wash?

47098[/snapback]

It has been outside but under a good quality, lined bike cover. I don't put the cover on when the bike is wet, but wait for it to dry. I don't think that it was wet for an 'extended time'.

This is the original paint, definitely not a repaint. There is no white primer showing, just the black and the thin clear coat. When moisture gets between the layers it looks grey. It's difficult to get a really good photo, so it may look like white – it is in fact the 'lifted' aeas of the clear coat.

This is the original paint, definitely not a repaint. There is no white primer showing, just the black and the thin clear coat. When moisture gets between the layers it looks grey. It's difficult to get a really good photo, so it may look like white – it is in fact the 'lifted' aeas of the clear coat.

Dunno, photos may sometimes be misleading, but IF it is the clearcoat(I still have my doupts but that doesn't matter anyway), then I correct. Your tank must have been sprayied from a person like this: 162.png

Anyway my last advice for this situation would be to take it to a pro, this is a serious paint defect situation.

Hey AL, not to get too far off topic is there more you could tell me about "your" fender eliminator kit? any chance you could start fabricating them for the masses on the side? or did you buy it somewhere? :huh2:

:mg:

oh side note, how much modifications did they have to do to your corbin to make it fit? I've read up on it as much as I Can but I can't seem to find any specifics.

Check out the tail-light/fender-elim FAQ:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=460

.... about half-way down, see Kelly Baker :thumbsup:

I like the unit, but it was a bit complex, and it's not as clean as it could be. But I like it.

Here is the thread with all the info:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=kelly++baker

Here are some ancient photos:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/al_roethlisb...m/ph//my_photos

al

thanks for the help Al I swear you should look into PT work at a dealership you have better customer service skills than any dealer I've even talked to. I'm thinking of going for the FBF till I can save up for Paul tailpeice. And I hope you don't kill me I linked 2 of your photos to my little ebay ad for my corbin to prove the seat will fit a lemans/scura but told them all over and over if its not a pre 02' V11S I make no promises and some bodging is in order. Seems there are some very interested ppl out there for a corbin seat for the Lemans, I'll have to send as many of them as I can to Rich, My seat is "in the works" with him As we speak, I can't wait :P:

I'll be so gellin. :food:

thanks for the help Al I swear you should look into PT work at a dealership you have better customer service skills than any dealer I've even talked to. I'm thinking of going for the FBF till I can save up for Paul tailpeice. And I hope you don't kill me I linked 2 of your photos to my little ebay ad for my corbin to prove the seat will fit a lemans/scura but told them all over and over if its not a pre 02' V11S I make no promises and some bodging is in order. Seems there are some very interested ppl out there for a corbin seat for the Lemans, I'll have to send as many of them as I can to Rich, My seat is "in the works" with him  As we speak, I can't wait  :P:

I'll be so gellin.  :food:

47115[/snapback]

No problem.

BTW, my bike is a 2002 LeMans, so "technically" it should fit, but it is a "crap shoot". I think it is safe to say that any 2002+ bike is very hit or miss, LeMans, Sport, etc...

If someone has detailed questions, you might want to point them to our Corbin seat "advisory/FAQ".... although I don't know if that would help or hinder your sale :P

al

Belfast Guzzi,

A Scura fuel tank on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7962744110&rd=1

Regards

Guy

46947[/snapback]

Well thanks for the lead, once again, Guy. I was outbid by £1. I was out all of today when the auction finished so I couldn't do anything more about it. :doh:

The Scura tank being for sale sure was a coincidence.

Well thanks for the lead, once again, Guy. I was outbid by £1. I was out all of today when the auction finished so I couldn't do anything more about it.  :doh:

The Scura tank being for sale sure was a coincidence.

47136[/snapback]

Bad luck mate- as a serial EBAY scanner I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya!

Guy