Petcock problem

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

Hey guys -

Weird thing, something I wanted to shoot by you all before I pull out the multimeter.

Tonight, hopped on the Guz, wanted a night ride...and turning the key, did not hear the electric petcock firing up. Tried starting anyway, and no start - the starter motor is turning. I can hear the relay making a connection "click". Checked the fuses, unplugged and plugged the relays - same thing happens.

It seems that the petcock is not getting juice - any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks for any advice - Robb

Hey guys -

Weird thing, something I wanted to shoot by you all before I pull out the multimeter.

Tonight, hopped on the Guz, wanted a night ride...and turning the key, did not hear the electric petcock firing up. Tried starting anyway, and no start - the starter motor is turning. I can hear the relay making a connection "click". Checked the fuses, unplugged and plugged the relays - same thing happens.

It seems that the petcock is not getting juice - any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks for any advice - Robb

47465[/snapback]

You cannot discernably hear the petcock when it activates. Normally, what you hear for the first two seconds is the fuel pump pressurizing the system. Check to make sure that the electrical connector for the petcock is firmly seated. Did this occur after you had removed the tank for any purpose?

Guest robbrugg

I WAS cleaning up the bike a little - maybe I knocked something loose - no spraying with water though.

I actually removed the tank to check all the connectors. Everything looked good. I'm going to pop it back on while crossing my fingers!

Thanks for the info, I will let you know!

UPDATE: Hooked er back up and WHAMO - it started. I guess the pump was disconnected.

now that we're on the petcock subject. my doesn't petcock seal well when I shut it off to remove the tank. With the tank on a flat surface, the petcock will continue to drip fuel. is this common or does mine just need to be repaired/replaced? I don't use pliers to close it, just my fingers....though seem to turn it as far as it will go.

Having the same problem with my Scura, when the tank is on the bike and the petcock is turned on it's fine. As soon as I take the tank off with the petcock turned off it continually seeps fuel from the petcock area.

Auldy

I WAS cleaning up the bike a little - maybe I knocked something loose - no spraying with water though.

I actually removed the tank to check all the connectors. Everything looked good. I'm going to pop it back on while crossing my fingers!

Thanks for the info, I will let you know!

UPDATE: Hooked er back up and WHAMO - it started. I guess the pump was disconnected.

47471[/snapback]

Yanking the tank won't affect the wiring for the fuel pump. You probably just missed getting the fuel petcock connector completely connected is all. Don't you just love a simple fix?

Guest rrbasso

I took of my tank last night and guss what i realized that my pet cock drips when in the closed position, I am glade Im not alone :bier: