Tech questions

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I had the V11 up on a stand and jack today so I could check forks, wheel bearings etc.

The "Bitubo" steering damper seems singularly ineffective with significant resistance only at the top of the range, like last 4 clicks, but most worrying, there is a "dead" band where there is no resistance for about 1 cm of piston travel when changing from left lock to right lock, but not the opposite way.

I assume the damper is knackered. I fail to see how it could damp a beginning slapper with this dead band.

Can I get the Bitubo repaired? If not, what damper should I fit?

What oil consumption should I expect? Roughly it seems to be using half a dipstick's worth in 600 miles. Is this high? I have been thrashing it with long motorway trips.

Can I get the Bitubo repaired? If not, what damper should I fit?

What oil consumption should I expect? Roughly it seems to be using half a dipstick's worth in 600 miles. Is this high? I have been thrashing it with long motorway trips.

Actually I had a problem with the bitubo on my Sport 1100 last summer as it was leaking oil, the problem was that there were not any available gaskets in the market for this model, so one has to do his own research and find the suitable ones. I desided to change the damper and got a new one from WP which has an extra gas tank and 32 settings and definitelly is better than the Bitubo , in the box there are these codes.1508 S90 R/STD. Dunno if it fits on your bike but why shouldn't it?

You can also see as an alternative (if you cant fix the bitubo)the Ohlins that it is used on other V11's

There are also some ebay offer sometimes in new Bitubos>. ...and Ohlins as well

That's all I know

Motorcycle oil consumption is what you're talking about , right?

In my Sport there's barelly any oil consumption . Maybe 100-150cl avery 4000Km

Edited by Alex-Corsa

Guest Nogbad
Yes. Is it leaking it or burning it?

KB :sun:

47735[/snapback]

I am by no means sure how much I'm using as its difficult to read the dipstick unless you level the bike on stands as I did this Sunday. I have topped it up just to the top mark and intend to ride 1K miles then check again the same way.

The engine feels good and does not smoke. Also, my riding is engine friendly with only long runs and at most 2 starts a day. It does not leak at all so if the oil is being used it must be burning it.

I think I'll whip the plugs out and check for heavy deposits of ash.

...its difficult to read the dipstick unless you level the bike on stands...

you could mark the dipstick so's it could be read on sidestand? I just hold bike upright. I know the std plastic dipstick's a pain, better ones are available & search for threads on here about sanding it etc to ease reading.

KB :sun:

When I changed my oil I measured in 3500ml including the oil filter fill. Now when I check the oil level, I do it before I start the bike. I unscrew the dipstick with the bike still on the sidestand and check the level against what it was after it's oilchange. The bike is always parked in the same spot so the only thing that can change is the oil level which hasn't for the last 1000 miles. My oil sits about 10mm above the high mark but checking the oil level the correct way after having run it for a while and the bike vertical it is on the high mark. It doesn't matter to me what method is used, as long as it's done the same way, same place every time so the only variation if any, is the amount of oil in your sump.

Rob