Throttle cable routing

Guest burke

Guest burke

I just purchased my first guzzi ( a v11 sport) and I noticed that it didn't seem to have very good response when I cracked the throttle. I figured it was running rich or some other air fuel mixture problem but when I started it up tonight it was idling at 3k and climbing. WTF? So I check the throttle cable and it was routed under the gas line. This allowed the gas line (when moved - say while poking around) to pull the cable flange out of its holding bracket (thus the bad off idle response due to cable slack). After I poked around in there earlier it moved the gas line onto the cable (because it was not in the bracket) putting pressure on it and thus the really high idle. I'm glad this didn't happen while I was riding.

So, I routed the cable over the gas line and this tends to hold the cable in place but I notice that there is no c clip or nut to guarantee the flange stays in place (its just a smooth barrel) so I had to zip tie it to the gas line (just in case).

Anyone else out there run into this problem? Why didn't guzzi put some sort of retention mechanism on this cable flange?

Ummm, welcome to the wonderful world of Guzzi Engineering?

Truly, they do put some things together in a fashion that looks like an afterthought. Other things are engineering masterworks in their simplicity and functionality. Until Luigi puts it together. :luigi:

Maybe the cable got incorrectly routed at the factory or during dealer prep- it's been known to happen. I'll have to look on my bike at the cable end, but I don't recall either it coming loose nor do I recall a fastener in there.

There is a spring on the idle advance mechanism (choke) that got mixed up with the seat retainer spring. Do a search on 'spring sprung' or maybe just 'spring'. That could also account for the increased idle.

Hey, and welcome here! :bier:

J