Strange helicopter noise

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So I turn the Guz off today, and I hear this weird, winding down whirring noise.

Just checked the oil level (TINY bit low), topped it off. The noise seemed a little quieter. Is my oil pump failing?

This bike is my only transportation, so I am a little worried about riding it tomorrow!

Has anyone had this happen, or know of a possible cause?

TIA!!! - Robb

So I turn the Guz off today, and I hear this weird, winding down whirring noise.

Just checked the oil level (TINY bit low), topped it off. The noise seemed a little quieter. Is my oil pump failing?

This bike is my only transportation, so I am a little worried about riding it tomorrow!

Has anyone had this happen, or know of a possible cause?

TIA!!! - Robb

48487[/snapback]

I have the same problem sometimes....

... you know, I've never really had any interest in fixed wing flying, but have always wanted to learn to fly choppers. It looks like a blast.

So, back on topic.... hrmmm, not sure.

The oil pump is mechanical, so you shouldn't hear anything from it after the engine is shut off. Similarly the fuel pump gets killed as soon as you turn off the ignition or run/stop switch.

Dunno. Where is the sound coming from?

al

... you know, I've never really had any interest in fixed wing flying, but have always wanted to learn to fly choppers.  It looks like a blast.

al

48520[/snapback]

Yeah, I was that way once too. Until I learned that helicopters fall out of the sky, regularly. If you're a govt. or a big corporation, paying for all the maintenance hours needed per 1hr flying time is easy. Otherwise, they're not so attractive...

;)

Until I learned that helicopters fall out of the sky, regularly.

48567[/snapback]

I hope you are referring to the fact that for everytime they take off they have to land. Otherwise I'll have to contact the Transportation Safety Board and get a copy of the report that shows helicopter logging the second safest type of aviation after the airlines (and a very close second at that!).

I am still thinking about your whine Robb! Try opening the gas cap to see if there is a pressure buildup that is perhaps bleeding off the vent in a way that produces the sound. A long shot I'm sure but it is all in the process of elimination.

The oil pump is mechanical- can't be that.

The fuel pump isn't receiving power after you turn the bike off- can't be that (unless you have a gremlin :thing:

You don't have a flat tire now, I hope?

I just can't think of anything *moving* on the bike after it's shut off. Must be gas escaping from somewhere- either fuel out of the recovery system (tipover valve???) or something out of the sump.

I'm stumped.

J

/had to thow a helicopter logging joke in there...

Betcha it's a broken clutch plate. I just realized this post is the same bike I just answered this on on WildGuzzi. At least a spine frame is a whole bunch easier to get to the clutch on than a California. Same clutch though.

EWww hoo hoo hoo, sucks to be you a broken clutch is neither easy nor cheap to replace prolly more $$$ than time tho. I'll have to lay off the wheelies and keep mine going awhile.  :bike:

48592[/snapback]

..... man, if you didn't just jinx yourself there, I don't know what will :unsure:

;)

EWww hoo hoo hoo, sucks to be you a broken clutch is neither easy nor cheap to replace prolly more $$$ than time tho. I'll have to lay off the wheelies and keep mine going awhile.  :bike:

48592[/snapback]

Okay DeBenGuzzi, I note your vast compassion for fellow Guzzisti.

Robbrugg. If the bike is still rolling, it's one clutch plate which is unfortunately, at MGNA's incredibly over-inflated prices, about $200. It's not a lot of fun to change out, but I would guess that I could do a V11 Sport in one very long day. If I add beer, one very long weekend. My spare plate (used) is in storage along with about half of my household goods in Oklahoma or I'd offer to send it to you. Go talk to the gents at Renaissance Cycles, they're good folks.

Guest robbrugg

Luckily my bike is still under warrantee.

DeBenGuzzi: next time you're in town, give me a call and let's go out for a few beers! WooHoo!