clip ons

Guest burke

Guest burke

I want to lower the forks in their triple clamps to make the bike a bit more stable. I like the current bar height but the clip ons are on top of the triple clamp. If I lower them under the top that will allow me to lower the forks but cause a lower bar height.

I saw a picture of an earlier v11 sport that had the clip ons underneath the triple clamp but had taller mounts for the bars. Does anyone know where I can find a set of these older clip ons?

My 01 V11 Sport had the clip ons mounted beneath the upper 3clamp, but the rise (about 1.5 inches as I recall) placed the bars at about the same height as on a V11 LeMans w/ shorter rise clip-ons mounted above the upper 3clamp.

But you might wanna look at these from MG Cycle as they offer adjustable rise. Go to www.mgcycle.com and look under V11 Products and click on handlebars.

BTW Ive added a set of very nice CycleCat clip-ons to my V11 Sport which I was able to do because I had one inch of fork tube above the 3clamp. If youre going to lower your front end just a little this might be an option for you.

Joe :rasta:

I want to lower the forks in their triple clamps to make the bike a bit more stable.  I like the current bar height but the clip ons are on top of the triple clamp.  If I lower them under the top that will allow me to lower the forks but cause a lower bar height. 

I saw a picture of an earlier v11 sport that had the clip ons underneath the triple clamp but had taller mounts for the bars.  Does anyone know where I can find a set of these older clip ons?

48508[/snapback]

...just call around to some shops, or someone here may have a set. There should be quite a few "take offs" running around from folks that have fitted different bars. You should also check eBay.

But just as an aside, I've heard of folks wanting to "slow down" the steering of the 00-01 series bikes that had the shorter frame, but even those weren't considered unstable per se. And as of 2002 with the longer frames, a lot of folks thought the bikes were not only now "rock solid stable" but almost too slow to turn in comparison.

Are you sure you don't have another suspension, tire, etc... issue before fitting new bars and raising your triples?

al

That is strange indeed. The 2003 version is pretty solid on the road. Are you sure there is nothing wrong? Maybe check the front engine mount frame, especialy the bolts connecting it to the spine frame. Or a too tight adjusted steering damper?

Guest burke
That is strange indeed. The 2003 version is pretty solid on the road. Are you sure there is nothing wrong? Maybe check the front engine mount frame, especialy the bolts connecting it to the spine frame. Or a too tight adjusted steering damper?

48535[/snapback]

It could be the damper. It could also be that I am coming off of a Mille which felt more stable at speed. Another factor could be flex, my Mille felt much stiffer and more predictable. Maybe the bike is flexing more and I am attributing that to the front wheel instead of the frame. I'll be playing with it to find out but wanted to know where I could get the clip ons just in case it came down to that.

I usually run with the clamps up as high as I could get them (even on the mille) so I was assuming that that might be necessary on the Guzzi as well.

I have been looking at the Magni fairing which comes with clip ons so maybe it is a mute point.