Bearing Steering

antonio carroccio

The easiest thing to do is put the bike on a center stand, disconnect the damper, lift the front wheel and slowly turn the forks left and right. Feel for notchy or 'crunchy' bearings, particluarly at 0 degrees.

If you want to do a more involved R&R, then you have to drop everything (instrument cluster, pull out the clipons, drop off the wheel) removing anything that might drag on the bearings. If they feel smooth, why mess with them?

If you want to go farther- the top plate comes off very easily- remove the center cover, there's a hex nut underneather that adjusts the compression on the bearings. Remove it. Use a wedge to open up the clamp-points on the tubes (carefully!!!) and lift up the top clamp. Then drop the fork tubes. I haven't taken off the lower clamp, but I imagine all you have to do is push it out.

edit- i do check the bearings regularly- by the first method I mentioned because it is easy. Handling is good, the bearings feel good, there is grease in them, so I don't worry too much about it.

Guest Brian Robson

On my bike the steps are a little different in that you remove the centre cover, loosen the bar clamps and the upper yoke bolts. You can then pull off the upper yoke with the bars and the instruments attached. The hex nut is then revealed, and once off you can see the bearings. :bier:

Good call on the instruments- I removed mine, but I bet it's not really necessary. I'll have to look again- I really thought that the allen-head bolt on top tightened the steering head...(walking off scratching head).