Pawl Spring TSB

Mr. Bean

Was looking at the TSB topic going on right now.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4967

The TSB for the Pawl Spring is showing:

"Solution:

In case of breakage of the pawl spring (A) in vehicles with frame numbers before KT111435 - KS112350,

the pawl (B.) should be changed (when asking for the spare part, you automatically receive the pawl updated

version)."

Not sure about the frame numbers listed...My VIN is ZGUKTC0204M111226. Does this mean that if I cut it down it would be KT111226? And if so I guess the TSB applies?

I'll have to call Moto International and see if they can preemptively fix this I guess. Has anyone had this fix done prior to it breaking and if so was it covered by MG?

Randy

Mr Bean....my thoughts exactly. Let me know what MI says. I just had a spring replaced 2 weeks ago and I know they didn't change the pawl...doubt they were (or are) aware of the issue.

and the rest of the bulletin confirms what we worked out some time ago, and what MG weren't telling us at the time:

In case of breakage of the pawl spring in vehicles with frame numbers before KT111435 - KS112350, the pawl should be changed (when asking for the spare part, you automatically receive the pawl updated version). The change consists in the reduction of the diameter on which the spring rests from 16 mm to 15 mm.

Precisely.

I just spoke to my dealer about my recent spring failure that they fixed under warranty last month. Now that I knew about the bulletin, I was concerned that they unknowingly did not replace the pawl. So in my first call today, they stated that they weren't aware of any Pawl service bulletins. I then sent them an FYI fax (with a courteous note) of the bulletin. I received a call back from the service manager/GM, stating that he didn't know why I was going through this much trouble and of course he put these parts (ie..pawl and spring) into the bike and I shouldn't have assumed otherwise. To make thing more interesting, the work order shows only one replaced part number for the spring...no pawl. In any regards, I thanked him and said that I just wanted to make sure since I was heading out of town on a bike trip soon.

Can't say I'm completely comfortable that my bike has the new pawl nor the way the dealer just handled the situation....and I'm tempted to take it out and measure even if it is a bit on the anal side. ...I almost can't wait for the bike to run out of warranty so that I can just fix everything myself. Maybe a new dealer in my future down at GP in San Diego. :(

EDIT: Ok...so a little more research and a more light on the issue. The part number on my warranty invoice for the service was "04238300", which according to the below string (and awesome picture from andy york..thx) is the larger 19mm spring. It is starting to sound like the dealer put the larger "replacement" spring on the old 16mm boss/pawl and may or may not have known about MG's official bulletin. Has anyone had experience with this verison of the fix? Does it last?

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...opic=2778&st=30

If this is the case, it is unfortunate that the dealer did not elaborate further as to the fix after I inquired. But then again, he probably not used to V11lemans.com informed customers who care this much. I'll sleep a little better....but may still go to GP for my next issue just because I'm a bit ticked.