Rear Frame Sub-section

Guest dopiata

Guest dopiata

Does anyone know what type of material the rear sub-frame is made of.

Chrom-moly 4160?

Or some type of steel.

I am considering building a whole rear under-tail exhaust system.

And need to re-build the rear tail sub-frame.

Thanks

Does anyone know what type of material the rear sub-frame is made of.

Chrom-moly 4160?

Or some type of steel.

I am considering building a whole rear under-tail exhaust system.

And need to re-build the rear tail sub-frame.

Thanks

49741[/snapback]

Well, I doubt very much that it's any type of hardenable [medium or high carbon] steel, so it's unlikely to be even 4140, let alone 4160 cro-mo.

Does a magnet stick to the subframe? [sorry, don't have a magnet or a V11 handy] If so, it's probably 1030, the [steel equivalent] jack of all trades. If not, then Moto Guzzi may have resorted to aluminum [which I also find unlikely, since more weight is tied up in the spine frame, so if the factory was going to convert anything from steel to aluminum fabrication, it would be that first because of the better cost/benefit ratio...]

Guzzis aren't racers; the only chance of a high cost substance like 4140 being used in a subframe would be in an MGS or some other limited run "special."

I think it's ordinary constuction steel. If it was better quality, then it could have been lighter:-). Now it's stong enough to put 400 kg on.

The problem with these seat exhaust thing in the default tail, is that you don't have so much hight to put them away. .

Guest dopiata

Paul.

I was wondering why you did not change the top triple tree on your bike to use a Scotts dampener or for that matter a Ducati mount onto the top triple tree.

I want to re-think the whole top triple tree as well, since I hate the steering dampener now.

I used to have a Scotts on my Honda 954R, and loved it.

I would need to mount a center catch onto the spline frame, and figure out how to bolt on the Scott to the triple tree.

The Ducati setup is ok as well ... but you still need to weld a mount onto the spline frame and mount something onto the triple tree.

As for the relocation of the exhaust ... I want something that is more cleaner. I have looked into a set of used Agusta exhaust sections, and modifying them to the V11. Something about those 4 Arrow tips and the clean sound moved me to this. I have bidded on a used set a while back on eBay, but they got well over $500 ... and I bailed out. In short, this is a winter project.

These are my current plans.

1. Fix the fuel pump issues I am having with Vapor Lock ...

2. Add on the Deep Sump, and re-mount plumb the oil return line. My concern is that the deep sump has no oil cooler ... and the oil needs to be in the 180-190's F - temp. I could weld on a supply line into the deep sump on the front side near the filter ... and use an external pump to the push oil up to the existing cooler, but I have not done this yet.

3. Rebuild the front headlight setup to look like a Furio ... but use a HID system. I am in the process of designing a light bracket in AutoCad ... and outsourcing it.

4. Re-plumb the exhaust to an under-tail design. Either using a Ducati or Agusta exhaust, and weld in the stainless pipes. I weld stainless using an Oxy-Acetelyne with a HENROB 2000. You can see it here --> http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

5. Design a rear tail section to cover the new exhaust.

6. Head work, pistons, rods, cam ... to be outsourced to Mike Rich in NY. I would have done this earlier, but he moved and currently his shop is in disarray.

Right now I am working on #1 and #2.

Again, nice work on the triple tree. :luigi:

Thanks

Paul.

I was wondering why you did not change the top triple tree on your bike to use a Scotts dampener or for that matter a Ducati mount onto the top triple tree.

I want to re-think the whole top triple tree as well, since I hate the steering dampener now.

I used to have a Scotts on my Honda 954R, and loved it.

I would need to mount a center catch onto the spline frame, and figure out how to bolt on the Scott to the triple tree.

The Ducati setup is ok as well ... but you still need to weld a mount onto the spline frame and mount something onto the triple tree.

As for the relocation of the exhaust ... I want something that is more cleaner.  I have looked into a set of used Agusta exhaust sections, and modifying them to the V11.  Something about those 4 Arrow tips and the clean sound moved me to this.  I have bidded on a used set a while back on eBay, but they got well over $500 ... and I bailed out.  In short, this is a winter project.

These are my current plans.

1. Fix the fuel pump issues I am having with Vapor Lock ...

2. Add on the Deep Sump, and re-mount plumb the oil return line. My concern is that the deep sump has no oil cooler ... and the oil needs to be in the 180-190's F - temp. I could weld on a supply line into the deep sump on the front side near the filter ... and use an external pump to the push oil up to the existing cooler, but I have not done this yet.

3. Rebuild the front headlight setup to look like a Furio ... but use a HID system. I am in the process of designing a light bracket in AutoCad ... and outsourcing it.

4. Re-plumb the exhaust to an under-tail design. Either using a Ducati or Agusta exhaust, and weld in the stainless pipes. I weld stainless using an Oxy-Acetelyne with a HENROB 2000. You can see it here --> http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

5. Design a rear tail section to cover the new exhaust.

6. Head work, pistons, rods, cam ... to be outsourced to Mike Rich in NY. I would have done this earlier, but he moved and currently his shop is in disarray.

Right now I am working on #1 and #2.

Again, nice work on the triple tree.  :luigi:

Thanks

49940[/snapback]

Before going to those lengths on a stock V11, I think a Ghezzi Brian would be a better starting point. That's just me though. I'm sure we're all looking forward to pictures of the finished project. Someday I may even finish mine...

Guest dopiata

Ghezzi go for about 18k or so ... new.

Although the components are great, the engine and transmission are old.

When Ghezzi got the original contract for the motor from MotoGuzzi ... he was only licensed to buy one specific engine and transmission.

In short, the front end is amazing ...

And the frame is as well.

But that old motor and transmission just does not sit well with me.

And it is a 5 speed at that.

:2c:

Well I don't feel the need to adjust the damper during riding. I'm happy with the Ohlins thing. BEfore I had light weels, I didn't use it at all. Now when running on the track, I had a slow headshake during flicking left right. I made 2 clicks with the ohlins, next round the headshake was complete gone. What do you need more? The only time i've seen a scotts, is on the G&B protwin. As I understood, it's an enduro device.

...the Scotts are pretty popular here in the States, but more for "bling" than anything else IMHO.

I'm sure they are effective, but I don't know that they are really any better than traditional dampers.

Further, around these parts.... if you leave your bike parked outside for any length of time with a Scotts damper, you'll probably have it stolen in no time. Happens all the time, as posted to the local forums :( The locking bolts are apparently a joke. For that reason alone, I'd avoid one.

Plus, even with the short-framed spine models of 00-01, most folks feel a damper is overkill most of the time. Good suspension tuning, and tire choice make a big difference.

al

Guest dopiata

I must admit, the dampener saves my :moon: all the time.

Here in New Jersey, the roads are so bad ... they have 2 foot deep holes all over the place.

I try to avoid them, but even on the highway ... the bumps can shake the front end a bit as well as rolling over a hole at 80+mph has its own characteristics.

See this is how it works.

Currently New Jersey is in a 5 billion USD hole, we have no money. So they do not fix the roads, and leave them in total disarray. After a while, the road is declared unusable unless it is re-built. This is called a new road, not a repaired road. So then the federal gov't will throw in money for a new road, but not to repair an existing road.

I am very careful where I ride and my distance from cars and what lane I run in.

I must admit, the dampener saves my  :moon: all the time.

Here in New Jersey, the roads are so bad ... they have 2 foot deep holes all over the place.

I try to avoid them, but even on the highway ... the bumps can shake the front end a bit as well as rolling over a hole at 80+mph has its own characteristics.

See this is how it works.

Currently New Jersey is in a 5 billion USD hole, we have no money. So they do not fix the roads, and leave them in total disarray. After a while, the road is declared unusable unless it is re-built. This is called a new road, not a repaired road. So then the federal gov't will throw in money for a new road, but not to repair an existing road.

I am very careful where I ride and my distance from cars and what lane I run in.

49986[/snapback]

We pay through the Nose in MN for our roads after hearing your little story I don't mind it so much, We have 2 seasons Winter and Road Construction But at least they wait 5 years before redoing a perfectly fine road. Maybe they should send a crew or two over to NJ to keep them busy. :huh2:

Guest dopiata

By the way ...

I never leave my bike out ...

It never touches water ... let alone someone scoping out a Scotts ...

Even on the 954R ... you still need to carry a 55mm or so ... (forget the size) socket to remove the locking nut ... and a 1/2 socket drive ...

I guess if you want something ... you will go to great lengths ...

By the way ...

I never leave my bike out ...

It never touches water ... let alone someone scoping out a Scotts ...

Even on the 954R ... you still need to carry a 55mm or so ... (forget the size) socket to remove the locking nut ... and a 1/2 socket drive ...

I guess if you want something ... you will go to great lengths ...

50013[/snapback]

....you never park it anywhere?? :rolleyes:

Seriously, all the Scotts dampers I've heard of being stolen out here were when the owner was at school, eating, shopping, etc... just for an hour or so, and came back to find no damper.

Not arguing, just clarifying. It apparently takes about 1 minute to remove one of these things if you know what you are doing :(

al