Matt Black Engines

GuzzBun

Apologies if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has!

After 22,000 miles my Scura engine paint has become a dull grey colour. No problems with flaking (although I could live to regret saying that!!!), but the original matt black finish has gone, and now the paint is a blotchy dark grey colour. I've tried washing with soapy water and a brush, even sprayed it with WD40 (the universal panacea) but can't get it to look black again - any ideas?

Apologies if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has!

After 22,000 miles my Scura engine paint has become a dull grey colour. No problems with flaking (although I could live to regret saying that!!!), but the original matt black finish has gone, and now the paint is a blotchy dark grey colour. I've tried washing with soapy water and a brush, even sprayed it with WD40 (the universal panacea) but can't get it to look black again - any ideas?

49822[/snapback]

...the very picture that I have torn out of MCN and happen to have sitting on the floor beside me – very nice.

How's the insurance quest going?

Have you no peeling paint at all? Not even on the bevel box?

I have used various high temperature matt black paints for spotting in, including barbecue paint. Seems to be ok but I haven't painted large areas, such as the whole engine.

in answer to belfastguzzi...

Insurance on the Corsa is fixed - through Carole Nash - not sure that they know what they've insured, but they gave me a good quote (they said it sounded like an MV Agusta for replacement cost) Who am I to argue - I have the policy, and I'm set to ride!!! Replated as GU51GAL (matches my Scura which has GU51GUY)

No peeling paint at all - perhaps due to the fact that the engine has barely been allowed to cool down since I bought the bike! I have never used a pressure washer, and I don't clean the bike very often - only when it REALLY needs it!

I don't need to re-finish the paint, only need to clean it sufficiently to restore the blackness.

Hi guzzibun,

I understand that you are the one from the UK who got the mgs01 licensed on the road? Can you short discribe what was needed for that? You don't have emission laws in the UK?

Picture of the bike in street trim? And let us know how it is on the road.

The paint problem, I don't think there is a way to realy solve it, I had such an engine, with only 2500 miles, It looked so bad, the readrive was grey, not black. I just took all paint of. That is easy.

Guest goldgooz

I've been using a product made by S-100 called Engine Brightener. Works great! My '02 Lemans' engine cases still look good at 13000 miles( knock on wood :D ). I think it was developed for Harleys. John B

Guest rrbasso

Go to a HD dealer and get a product called Pig Spit, not joking it works great it makes all black look new especially blk rinkel paint. its in a arosel can just spray it on last for a good cupple of monthes :2c: