Options on front Cardan joint? Alt suppliers?

Guest bmonnig

Guest bmonnig

Guys,

I continue to go through the inspection of my (recently acquired) '97 Sporti. Several concerns have went away, but some new ones are popping up. Specifically, the front Cardan joint / u-joint.

As I was inspecting the driveline, I noticed that the zerk fitting on the front (closest to the engine) u-joint is gone! There's a threaded hole into the joint, but no zerk fitting. This makes me wonder how many miles the bike travelled in this condition, and the condition of the Cardan joint. I'm guessing the lube can fling out of this hole?

I've done some searching for replacement Guzzi u-joints, and the price is quite staggering...$250-$300 is what I'm finding.

Granted, I don't yet know that I need a new joint, or how large of an issue this will be. But I'm curious...are there no other providers for this item out there? Does this joint have to be a Guzzi part, or are there other supplier options? I'm just curious. I've searched the archives, but I've not had much success in finding anything (which I assume is a bad sign ;)

Thanks,

I think best is to take the joints off, if you have them in your hand, you can feel if they are moving without play. And not heavy. IF that feels ok, you can fit a zerk fitting and add grease. The small neddle bearings inside can be replaced, available at a beairing shop. Or seach for a company that does if for you. These things are also used in an industrial environment.

Guest bmonnig
I think best is to take the joints off, if you have them in your hand, you can feel if they are moving without play. And not heavy. IF that feels ok, you can fit a zerk fitting and add grease. The small neddle bearings inside can be replaced, available at a beairing shop. Or seach for a company that does if for you. These things are also used in an industrial environment.

50223[/snapback]

Paul,

Thanks for the note! As long as the bearing races / caps are in good shape (not scored), I should be able to simply replace the needle bearings? I'm just curious. Even if the joint is fine (it probably is), this is information that I'd like to know for 'future reference'. LOL.

Thanks,

Brandon

There's a fellow that advertises on the MGNOC news and I've seen him post to the loopframe list- John Chicoine- that might do a rebuild on it. I have read many good testimonials about his loopframe cardan joint rebuilds. He sells rebuilds for about 1/2 the cost of new.

Jason