Crossover needs shortened for Guzzi Ti pipes?

belfastguzzi

There have been comments about the poor/difficult/uneven fit of Guzzi's own Ti. silencer system.

The footrest hangers aren't purpose made and the whole thing doesn't line-up terribly well. A bracket that would be somewhere in between the length of the stock V.11 ones and the kit-supplied (Daytona?) ones would seem a better size. Another problem for me is that the new pipe-end position is exactly where the indicators are on the new tail-bracket that is meant to be a V.11 fit. After spending time making up an extension for the footrest hanger to give a slightly lower mount for the silencer band, I'm now thinking that the best solution would be to cut the crossover outlet pipes shorter. I think that this would let the whole silencer line-up much better. The bottom end would not be kicked out so much and the silencer assembly would come further forward. This would also make everything less wobbly (ref recent wobbly cans posts).

This is a Stucchi x-over, but the outlet pipes position/length are the same as the standard crossover. What is different is that, while the stock silencer pipes will fully fit onto the x-over, the connection pipes that Guzzi makes for their Ti kit don't fully fit! :huh2: Why have they done this? They only go half way on.

So I am going to cut 3.5 cm off the crossover pipes. I don't remember reading about this being done before – if anyone has ideas or knowledge about this I would be grateful for a quick reply, before I do something irreversible.

Guest ratchethack

Belfast, if your Stucchi crossover is the same as mine, shortening it up won't help you if you're trying to get your mufflers farther onto the crossover. My crossover has expanded sections at both front and back (front is external fit, rear is internal fit) that limit insertion of either the header pipe or muffler farther onto the crossover. I had to shorten up my right-side header pipe by (as I recall) 15 mm to accept the Stucchi (among many other modifications) and to allow everything to fit. I had a post here on this.

This brings back memories of what became a bit of an "extended re-engineering" project. <_< Keep in mind that if you find a way to get the mufflers farther onto the crossover, you'll be encroaching on the swingarm, and you've got to allow for it's full range of motion.

One thought is that you might consider relocating your turn-signals.

Good luck!

Keep in mind that if you find a way to get the mufflers farther onto the crossover, you'll be encroaching on the swingarm, and you've got to allow for it's full range of motion.

One thought is that you might consider relocating your turn-signals.

Good luck!

50263[/snapback]

You're quite right. I was working on the left, brake, side where there is more clearance. Now that I'm on the other side I have remembered about the swingarm being wider – that's why there's extra length on the x-over pipes.

What a dumbo! :homer: I've already cut the x-over and put it back on. The left side is much better, but the right will be too close. Cutting one side shorter would let the pipes lie in a better postion, but then one would be further back than the other. Looks like there is no easy solution. As for me, looks like I'm going to have to take the whole lot off again and the pipe will have to be welded back. :homer::homer::homer:

I didn't want to relocate the signals because I thought that the pipes would be better a little bit lower anyway. Now I'm going to have to reconsider.

I should have waited a while, to get a reply on here. :doh:

BFG, why wont the ti pipes go on? Is there an internal collar or a bend stopping them?

50276[/snapback]

Yes, there's an indentation and a bend. They only go on half the distance of the standard pipes.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, bet it's the last thing you need.Can the pipe be expanded or stretched to get it on? A lot of tool shops have pipe expanders you can slip inside [like a segmented socket].You can also borrow my big hammer if you like.

This is true of a lot of the aftermarket pipes too. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just clamp them down tightly, and maybe use some exhaust high-temp silicone sealant if you are worrying about leaks.

Also, you can work on the brackets/straps with some washers/spacers to get them to fit just so, and you can get them relatively tight.

al

Thanks BJ, Al. This is what comes of taking a day's holiday!

The problem that you're refering to isn't a problem. The joints are shorter than the standard pipes, but that's ok, they tighten up fine. The problem is: I saw that the 'stop' on the x-over outlet pipe was twice as far down the pipe as the length of the connector pipe overlap. :nopic:

ok, here we go Pipe_length.jpg

At the top is the x-over outlet and the stop ring.

At the bottom is the Guzzi Ti Kit s.s. connector pipe – as you can see, it will only fit on to half the length.

The length of the outlet pipe also makes the bottom of the silencer stick out and then the line of the silencer pulls back in at the end of the bike. So I put both things together and thought that the x-over pipe was too long. Cutting its length by half so that the connector pipe fitted up to the stop seemed to make sense.

Too late, I realised that the extra length was to allow for the width of the swing-arm on the right side. It's a pity that Guzzi didn't take the opportunity, when producing it's own aftermarket pipes, to make different shapes/lengths of connectors to suit either side. Instead we are left with a lop-sided fitment.

I think I'll push the swing-arm can out more by extending out the hanger. That might be the best solution, still keeping the overall look a bit neater thanks to the shorter cut pipes. (It's a pity that the hangers are such a dog's dinner too...)

That looks like the hanger supplied with the kit. It's an old part with an adapter bracket supplied, so it's not an ideal fit.

I have lowered my can position, for now anyway.

Can_hanger.jpg

Here is the standard hanger set over the top. If I had a spare pair I would cut the bottom off above the footbeg bracket and this would then be almost perfect for where my cans are at the moment.

hanger.jpg

Has anyone got a spare pair of standard hangers that they don't want?

• 3 weeks later...

:homer::homer::homer: ....see what you mean..

just fitting stucchi xover to Ti kitted bike - left side exit kicks silencer way out :homer: ....

gonna read voluminous threads on this but ...

i would have thought the best solution would be to put more of a bend into the connector pipe (pipe between xover & can) or less of a kick out in the left xover exit.

KB :sun:

Guess I'm just lucky. The Stucchi I purchased from MPH a few weeks ago went on with absolutely no problems, using the Guzzi Ti's and stock (longer) hangers. (Also worked with the shorter hangers supplied with the Ti's but I elected to stay with the longer hangers to accomodate soft luggage.)

The pipes aren't PERFECTLY aligned as you view them from the rear but they look well enough.

Joe

:homer:  :homer:  :homer: ....see what you mean..

i would have thought the best solution would be to put more of a bend into the connector pipe (pipe between xover & can) or less of a kick out in the left xover exit.

KB :sun:

52246[/snapback]

Yes definitely. That's what I meant about it beiong a pity that Guzzi don't make handed pipes.

There's not much that we can do about bending that stuff, (I don't think?).

Get the hacksaw out :P

That looks like the hanger supplied with the kit. It's an old part with an adapter bracket supplied, so it's not an ideal fit.

I have lowered my can position, for now anyway.

Can_hanger.jpg

Here is the standard hanger set over the top. If I had a spare pair I would cut the bottom off above the footbeg bracket and this would then be almost perfect for where my cans are at the moment.

hanger.jpg

Has anyone got a spare pair of standard hangers that they don't want?

50430[/snapback]

Any good for you BFG?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7976317085&rd=1