what can be done..?

Guest motogp71

Guest motogp71

im in the process of getting my first guzzi..ive loved them ever since i seen one about 6 years ago..anyways im probally going to be getting the cafe sport. my questions are...

i keep seeing on the internet about performance wise the four valves are the way to go ...obviously... but does anyone make a conversion?? like new heads or something..

also are theyre any good sites, shops that make alot of performance parts??

thanks

First thing to do is stop by Carl's house and offer to help him pack (good to build up karma points).

Second- there are NO 4V heads in production by Guzzi at this time. I think I read of a kit some Germans are making, but man, that's big bucks for not much return.

The 4V heads do produce more HP, but at a cost. The 2V head bikes are great- Guzzi has been making them for years, they have pleasant, consistent power delivery, and plenty of it for normal street riding. If you want insane power, you're looking for a Japanese 4 Cyl, not a Guzzi. Don't be suckered in by magazines and fools like us on the intarweb.

My :2c: , get it, ride it, leave it alone for 1000 miles. Then start to assess what you want- more top end? More bottom end? Fringe and tassles on the brake lever? You'll be in a better position to recognize the strenghts and weaknesses of the bike.

Also, there are not any sites that make 'a lot' of performance parts. This is too small a marque for that. You can get a K&N filter, a PCIII, some pipes, there's an excellent machinist that does head work. That's about it. If you really want to go fast, invest in some track days and some instruction.

J

PS- good on ya! :mg:

im in the process of getting my first guzzi..ive loved them ever since i seen one about 6 years ago..anyways im probally going to be getting the cafe sport. my questions are...

i keep seeing on the internet about performance wise the four valves are the way to go ...obviously... but does anyone make a conversion?? like new heads or something..

also are theyre any good sites, shops that make alot of performance parts??

thanks

50743[/snapback]

Hey motogp71, PM me and tell me who and where you are. We'll get Joe and a few others and get together!

Also....check out the other threads that ask similar questions to yours.

We should make a sticky for the 'should I buy a Goose' thread....

back to your regular scheduled programming....

Also....check out the other threads that ask similar questions to yours. 

We should make a sticky for the 'should I buy a Goose' thread....

back to your regular scheduled programming....

50757[/snapback]

...well, you ARE the moderator for this and the 24/7 forums, so ;)

I think that would be an excellent idea in 24/7, a single thread people can post/reply to to get that answer. Lots of similar boards have the "what bike should I start with" thread stickied for this very reason =P

We should have one, or maybe a FAQ(my job) for the major year model differences also.

al

also are there any good sites, shops that make alot of performance parts??

thanks

50743[/snapback]

How much performance are you thinking about or willing to invest. A 2 valve engine can reach a full 125bhp with big bore and other expert modifications i.e.Dynotecbut it will cost just about the value of the bike and perhaps a bit more.

A 4V engine can reach even more PS and sure Paul knows more about it.

Fast By ferracciOne of the many sites with Guzzi performance parts

IMHO Guzzi can be raised a bit on performance and that's all If you're looking for a high performance bike you can either hang on a Ducati or invest big$$$ on a Guzzi and then again is not the same thing.If you know what I mean ;)

THe cafe racer is a heck of a good quality Guzzi if you like it go for it

Like Jason says - run it for a few K miles then worry about more power. Personally, on any twisty road at reasonable speeds, V11 has adequate. Most times on the road it isn't more power that's needed it's more tyres, more brakes, more handling & more riding ability.

Maximum performance is max $$$ & ultimately the four valve will give a bit more. You can get Daytonas & Centauros at reasonable money, & if you can find a good Daytona RS or something that's had money in the motor already - that's the best deal.

KB :sun:

Yeah, the 4-valver is sexier -- and a little more powerful up top.

The two-valver is more manageable and easier to work on. Do as the sages of this site say -- run it in for a few k and THEN start fiddling.

Guest motogp71

thanks guys for all your advice..oh and check your pm's guys from modesto..

as far as performance...and all that looks... like mgs01 is worth the money!! hehe to bad there wernt more made id finance my soul to have one of those, just to have it sit in my garage... i went down to speed sports in livermore..and was talking to one of the guys about guzzi's i mentioned something about the mgs01..he said they had one but sold it.. any plans of making more next year??

also i heard a rumor that m.g. isnt going to send 06's to america any truth to this??

another thing i was going to ask was besides having a bike thats awesome looking with a cool history and u dont see one going down the road every five seconds...what are some advanges of owning a guzzi as opposed to a jap. bike??

and i do think it would be a good idea to make a sticky thread about this..before i finally registered i looked at another site and this one..nd ALOT of ppl are asking the same things...thanks

thanks guys for all your advice..oh and check your pm's guys from modesto..

as far as performance...and all that looks... like mgs01 is worth the money!! hehe to bad there wernt more made id finance my soul to have one of those, just to have it sit in my garage... i went down to speed sports in livermore..and was talking to one of the guys about guzzi's i mentioned something about the mgs01..he said they had one but sold it.. any plans of making more next year??

They'll be making and shipping some more of these this summer.

AFAIK 50 pieces,finnally they're going to be a bit more than planned out, according to Agostini's

So dig deep into your pockets.....Let me see what do I got here...e094.gifhmmm

another thing i was going to ask was besides having a bike thats awesome looking with a cool history and u dont see one going down the road every five seconds...what are some advanges of owning a guzzi as opposed to a jap. bike??

50773[/snapback]

For me, it is all down to the feel of the bike- you just get to love that V twin motor. If both you and the Guzzi hit it off, it will be the start of a long term relationship whereas many Jap bike owners tend to chop and change every year to upgrade to the next best thing. Whether you are just cruising, or thrashing the nuts off it, the motor feels alive.

Simplicity is another virtue- it will take you 5 minutes to change both spark plugs on a Guzzi- my neighbour has just done the same job on a GSXR600 and it takes ages to strip off all the bits before you can even get access to the plugs.

And as for performance? On paper the Jap missles are much faster, especially in a straight line but the reality is that a V11 is fast enough for road riding and the way it delivers it's torque (just over 70ft lbs on a good motor), means that Jap fours are shifting up and down the gearbox like crazy to try and hang on to your tail on twisty roads.

Oh- and and you won't be adjusting your chain every month- just change the drive box oil every 6000 miles.

Guy :helmet:

Yep, like they all say, ride it a while, be seduced by the fantastic Guzzi feel with a grin factor of 11 out of 10 , I've ridden many Jap bikes, and sure enough, after the initial thrill of mega power for the first half hour I'm bored, there is something missing that a Guzzi gives you.

As Guy says they are also simple in design and easy to work on, a big bonus for the long term owner, ok, I'll admit some do have initial niggles but once sorted they are IMHO fantastic bikes.

If after a while more power is a must then thats always possible with enough money but you may find that some simple mods (K&N, aftermarket pipes etc) will give you a level of riding pleasure unknown among most Jap bike riders.

My V11 Le Mans only has 79 rwhp, nowt compared to R1s etc but boy do I enjoy riding it, I wouldn't change it for any other bike, just got back from a 1000 mile trip to Scotland with almost every type of road and weather imaginable and loved it all (well, maybe the torrential rain bits on the way home were not loved so much but even that was nicer on a Guzzi than it would be on most bikes) there was one particular day on a ride back from Arran that made me grin so much my face ached :D .

Whatever, Guzzis are great fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Mal :helmet: