Problem [character foible] # 26

Steve G.

This Saturday I enjoyed a great spin on the V11, around 275kms. Riding out in the valley on a road devoid of everything, running along at I guess 120kms[75mph] when the speedo guage plops to 0kms/hr. I pull over, and check the usual culprit, the speedo bevel drive connecting the speedo cable to the actual gearbox. It seems the cap has come loose [imagine that!] and the worm gear has slid out of the housing. I spend 15 minutes looking through the grass along the side of the road. The bloody thing is gone.

So do you guys know if one has to by a new bevel drive complete, or can one get parts?

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest ratchethack

Steve, the same thing happened to me a year or so back (at 12K miles or so). The disk that retains the worm gear is evidently very "delicately" retained by an interference fit. As I recall, while examining it to discover what was going on, I was fiddling around with the cable, and the cable slid out. <_< Of course I checked all around and you have to buy an entire new drive, cable, and housing. I put a dab of JB Weld on the disk on the new bevel drive to prevent a repeat performance. :thumbsup: May I recommend funneling a tbsp. of trans lube (I use RedLine Heavy Shockproof) into the new cable at the speedo head. The excess eventually goes where it's welcome. :luigi:

EDIT: Mike's post reminded me the way it really happened (Sorry. Old-timers, aka dain bramage). :blush: The reason I had to get a new cable was that the original had followed the worm gear out somewhere on the road. I don't think I had to wait too long for my order to come in, 'cause I woulda remembered the irritation. <_<

This Saturday I enjoyed a great spin on the V11, around 275kms. Riding out in the valley on a road devoid of everything, running along at I guess 120kms[75mph] when the speedo guage plops to 0kms/hr. I pull over, and check the usual culprit, the speedo bevel drive connecting the speedo cable to the actual gearbox. It seems the cap has come loose [imagine that!] and the worm gear has slid out of the housing. I spend 15 minutes looking through the grass along the side of the road. The bloody thing is gone.

So do you guys know if one has to by a new bevel drive complete, or can one get parts?

Ciao, Steve G.

50877[/snapback]

Steve,

Time for a new bevel drive. The older ones had the problem of the end cap coming off and spitting out the gear. I think the newer ones have the cap staked in better. I had to wait for months for a new bevel drive two years ago and after the drive was replaced, the speedo went out :homer: . Try MPH for a replacement drive, I bet they have them in stock.

Mike