Thinking ahead!

Ballacraine

Yeah, TBH it is that single plate clutch that is nagging at the back of my mind.

BTW......I think you are developing a phobia about tachos.  ;)

Beer should help!  :bier:

51313[/snapback]

:bier: With tacos? :food:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad

I would just keep a good eye on the bike and fix things as and when they happen. You can't really predict failures and it would be very expensive to replace or rebuild everything that was ever reported on this forum, never mind all the other forums!

I would just keep a good eye on the bike and fix things as and when they happen. You can't really predict failures and it would be very expensive to replace or rebuild everything that was ever reported on this forum, never mind all the other forums!

51584[/snapback]

I do realise that what you say is true. :)

I just thought if I have it in bits to resolve the single plate clutch issue, I might as well hit everything that is a known weakness while I am in there. :luigi:

Then put it all back together with stainless fasteners and that would be a job well sorted.......for a while! ;)

Nige. B)

Guest Nogbad
I do realise that what you say is true.  :)

I just thought if I have it in bits to resolve the single plate clutch issue, I might as well hit everything that is a known weakness while I am in there.  :luigi:

Then put it all back together with stainless fasteners and that would be a job well sorted.......for a while!  ;)

Nige.  B)

51829[/snapback]

Like in women, weaknesses in your Guzzi can take many and varied forms. If you get a good one you will love it for life. Get a bad one and you can look forward to heartache and the loss of your bank balance. Pre-emptive cosmetic surgery is not the answer.

Pre-emptive cosmetic surgery is not the answer.

51843[/snapback]

I have never been a believer in that.

No point in papering over cracks.

Get to the root cause and eliminate it if possible.

That is what I am gunning for.

( Doesn't mean I am going to be 100% successfull! :blush: )

Nige. :luigi:

I just noticed a seventies throwback idiosyncrisy (sp. :doh: )

Not sure if it has always done it....I don't think so. The Veglia on my 750-S3 always did it.

The speedo bounces a lot at lower speeds...Seems OK once 50 is passed.

Is this still normal or should it be sorted?

Nige. :unsure:

Mine does that too. I think it means either 1) you need to lube the cable or 2) the cable is bent, and is binding a bit or 3) the friction driver in the speedo isn't gripping well, so it just bounces the needle at low speed.

Remember- its a feature, not a bug. :glare:

or

for the :nerd: out there... everything moving has a fundemental de Broglie wavelength (and hence, frequency) given by:

lambda = h/(mc)

Maybe the speedo is indicating frequency instead of speed :lol: "I'm going 4000 Hertz!"

sorry :rasta:

Mine does that too.  I think it means either 1) you need to lube the cable or 2) the cable is bent, and is binding a bit or 3) the friction driver in the speedo isn't gripping well, so it just bounces the needle at low speed. 

Remember- its a feature, not a bug. :glare:

or

for the  :nerd: out there... everything moving has a fundemental  de Broglie wavelength (and hence, frequency) given by:

lambda = h/(mc) 

Maybe the speedo is indicating frequency instead of speed :lol:  "I'm going 4000 Hertz!"

sorry :rasta:

52615[/snapback]

All of the above seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Thanks.

Nige. :huh::grin:

Guest ratchethack
I just noticed a seventies throwback idiosyncrisy (sp.  :doh:  )

The speedo bounces a lot at lower speeds...Seems OK once 50 is passed.

Is this still normal or should it be sorted?

Nige.  :unsure:

52597[/snapback]

Nige, my Pal LeMans Dan had this symptom a couple weeks back on his '03 LM, just after carefully fitting a new cable. We put a shot of trans lube down the speedo cable housing at the speedo head. Rationale for this was that the excess just lets gravity take it where it can still do some good. The evil jumpy needle spirit was thereby exorcised. Just to keep the EJNS at bay, I did the same with my Sport. BTW - in case I haven't mentioned it often enuff, we both agree that Redline Shockproof Heavy is the bee's knees! :race:

Guest Bruce

Unless you've got lots of time I'd go for the things most likely to cause a significant problem first. For example if your tach quits working its no big deal but a loose ground connection can wreak havoc, up to and including, killing your alternator. So I'd go through electrical connections first ( replacing relays counts as electrical connections ), then I'd go through things that should be greased, ie wheel bearings, shock mounts etc. Then I'd give it a basic tune up.

Also, the on-board tool kit contains stuff you probably won't need and is definetly missing stuff you might want like spare fuses and bulbs. So its worth thinking this through a bit. I carry zip ties, mechanic wire, and some tape in addition.