new speedo cable

Guest burke

Guest burke

My bike has the bevel gear style speedo cable but when I sent in for warranty replacement they gave me the straight in type. I have read here that it should fit but will be real tight. Any helpful hints on routing or any other assembly aids (pitfalls) I need to know about?

By the way, straight in seems to be a relative term since one side has an angle to it.

They sent you the wrong one, and it will not work.... at least from what I have heard/read :huh2:

I have read that the gearing in the transmission on 03+ bikes that have the "bent tube" style of cable have different internal speedo drive gearing/interface than that used on the 00-02(03 V11 Naked) "bevel drive" speedo cables, so even if you can get it installed, your speedo will be "off" significantly.

al

Interesting, so MG is now replacing the bevel drive models with a "bent tube" version also?

Well, if so, make sure they sent you the right one, as again... the gearing is different.

Even if you have an 03 bike, if it is an 03 V11 Naked(has the fuzzy black paint, tank pad, white gauges)... it is really an 02 spec bike, and you'll need the cable for the 00-02 bikes, not for 03+

al

Guest burke
Interesting, so MG is now replacing the bevel drive models with a "bent tube" version also?

Well, if so, make sure they sent you the right one, as again... the gearing is different.

Even if you have an 03 bike, if it is an 03 V11 Naked(has the fuzzy black paint, tank pad, white gauges)... it is really an 02 spec bike, and you'll need the cable for the 00-02 bikes, not for 03+

al

51524[/snapback]

Turns out they sent me the wrong cable :huh2: I got fed up so while I am waiting for the right one to order I hooked up my GPS just in case I need to know my speed.

Burke