Fork It

txrider

The last part of my going through this new/used 2004 LM is pulling the forks for an oil change and general cleanup inside and out. All was pretty straightforward on disassembly except the fork internals are different from the late model V11 LM/Sport shop manual I purchased with the bike (surprise). Totally different cap/spring/spacer arrangement than the manual shows. But the most noticeable thing is the spring comes out first, then the preload spacer. At first I thought this was a screwup in assembly but the cap is machined with a recess the spring seats in. Unusual.

The manual also shows 400cc of 10wt oil for refill and that's the quantity that drained out but someone posted some time ago that 440cc was correct for the 43mm fork. Can anyone confirm this?

A tip for anyone considering doing this- make a temporary spring retainer by slotting a piece of 1"steel strap or similar to fit the damper rod. Compressing the spring by hand and fitting this hold down under the damper nut makes disassembly a bit easier.

Yes, the "standard"(non Ohlins) forks on the 03+ bikes were completely changed. They are still Marz, but are a different diameter(43mm, up from 40mm if I recall), and have preload and compression damping in both legs, but not rebound.

The old 00-02 forks had compression damping in one leg, and rebound damping in the other, and no preload adjustment.

al

Guest Nogbad

The old 00-02 forks had compression damping in one leg, and rebound damping in the other, and no preload adjustment.

al

51838[/snapback]

The lack of preload adjustment is to say the least fucking frustrating.

Guest Nogbad
....which is why I don't have those forks anymore  ;)

51844[/snapback]

Yeah, but I hate modifying my bikes. It always works out expensive and the insurance bastards penalise you for it. I think I'll put up with the shortcomings, ride a bit slower and wait till I replace the bike with another one.

I'd just like to replace mine with a set of Ohlins form a bike that maybe got backed over or stolen stripped and they found a bunch of parts or the engine blew I'll look for a set of used ones and only consider it that way, My Forks work fine I don't know any better For my previous bikes were all worse even the ones I've test ridden. They are Good forks that they come with just newer ones have more Adjustability. :huh2:

txrider

just to confirm, the 43mm Marzocchi forks use 435cc of 10wt oil in each leg.

Its a job I need to do soon to my bike...can't wait :grin:

Mal :helmet:

Guest philbo
for small money you can get the right springs for your weight in the bike. Don't wait until you get another one.

51856[/snapback]

I'm actually considering just that but I'm at a bit of a loss on where to start. I have an 04 LM and I weigh give or take 220 lb (100K) with jacket, boots etc. Is there ome way to figure out a ball park figure to start with or does it require getting custom fitted at a suspension shop?

I've gone through all the setup stuff and they are definately to light for my weight.

Thanks

Phil

I'm actually considering just that but I'm at a bit of a loss on where to start. I have an 04 LM and I weigh give or take 220 lb (100K) with jacket, boots etc. Is there ome way to figure out a ball park figure to start with or does it require getting custom fitted at a suspension shop?

I've gone through all the setup stuff and they are definately to light for my weight.

Thanks

Phil

51977[/snapback]

Phil, here is a chart from Traxxion Dynamics that might help.

http://www.traxxion.com/technical.springrate.shtml

txrider

just to confirm, the 43mm Marzocchi forks use 435cc of 10wt oil in each leg.

Its a job I need to do soon to my bike...can't wait :grin:

Mal  :helmet:

51974[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, Mal. Mind if I ask what your info source was?

I have an 04 LM and I weigh give or take 220 lb (100K) with jacket, boots etc. Is there ome way to figure out a ball park figure to start (snip)?

Lex and Mike Stewart weigh about the same as you and they posted their figures somewhere on this forum.

I think Mike was at 500 lbs rear and 1.0 KG front.

And Lex was something like 550 lbs rear and 1.05 or 1.1 KG front.

This is from distant memory so do a search for the right figures before you shell out money.

Personally I would go with Mike's lower numbers because it is still a huge improvement over stock...and it will not be too stiff.

Lex and Mike Stewart weigh about the same as you and they posted their figures somewhere on this forum.

I think Mike was at 500 lbs rear and 1.0 KG front.

And Lex was something like 550 lbs rear and 1.05 or 1.1 KG front.

This is from distant memory so do a search for the right figures before you shell out money.

Personally I would go with Mike's lower numbers because it is still a huge improvement over stock...and it will not be too stiff.

51993[/snapback]

I'm 220 lb in street clothes, and I installed the 1.10kg fork springs. This produced the appropriate sag numbers for my 2000 Sport.

txrider

Like you I have the original manual, I bought it from a Guzzi dealer (not cheap and very heavy but generally useful) not long after I bought the bike but it didn't have the updates which came with the 02/03 bikes (such as the 43mm forks).

I tried to get hold of an updated version (probably easier to get hold of now) but at the time I didn't have much luck, however a friend came to my rescue, he managed to get me a copy of a Guzzi CD (from E-bay if I remember rightly) which not only has the original manual but also has a section on udates, this has the info on the forks along with a few other useful bits of data.

Mal :helmet: