Fork It

txrider

txrider

Like you I have the original manual, I bought it from a Guzzi dealer (not cheap and very heavy but generally useful) not long after I bought the bike but it didn't have the updates which came with the 02/03 bikes (such as the 43mm forks).

I tried to get hold of an updated version (probably easier to get hold of now) but at the time I didn't have much luck, however a friend came to my rescue, he managed to get me a copy of a Guzzi CD (from E-bay if I remember rightly) which not only has the original manual but also has a section on udates, this has the info on the forks along with a few other useful bits of data.

Mal  :helmet:

51995[/snapback]

Thanks again, Mal, useful info and from a good source, apparently.

Followup on the fork maintenance-

Easy process to remove the forks, disassemble, change the oil and reassemble. As to the question of fork oil quantity I had differing info of "do what the manual says, use 400 cc", "use 440cc", "use 435cc" (thanks, again, Mal) so I decided to measure freeboard from surface of oil to top of fork after carefully draining the springs into the fork as they were removed. With forks fully compressed, spacer installed and damper rod down that measurement was 77mm airspace over the fork oil. Then, measuring carefully what was drained including pumping the damper rod numerous times and hanging the fork overnight that volume came to 828cc, both forks. Figuring about 5-6cc for surface adhesion each fork held close to 420cc's.

So, anyone doing this in the future on the 43mm forks there's two numbers to work with- freeboard measure and volume.

I have to say, I'm spoiled to BMW, Yamaha and even Aprilia shop manuals which give all this pertinant info and keep it up to date. I'd much rather torque and maintenance info was more universally available especially after spending for the MG service manual then finding it lacking.

Guest philbo
Lex and Mike Stewart weigh about the same as you and they posted their figures somewhere on this forum.

I think Mike was at 500 lbs rear and 1.0 KG front.

And Lex was something like 550 lbs rear and 1.05 or 1.1 KG front.

This is from distant memory so do a search for the right figures before you shell out money.

Personally I would go with Mike's lower numbers because it is still a huge improvement over stock...and it will not be too stiff.

51993[/snapback]

Thanks - to both you and Al. Now I have the air box mod, the Stucchi's, the Staintunes and an appointment with John T on Saturday morning for a new map. I need something else to focus on before I start talking to Mike Rich :) - "never let money stand in the way of a good time"

I'll post the dyno results over the weekend.

Cheers

Phil

Guest philbo
Thanks - to both you and Al. Now I have the air box mod, the Stucchi's, the Staintunes and an appointment with John T on Saturday morning for a new map. I need something else to focus on before I start talking to Mike Rich  :) - "never let money stand in the way of a good time"

I'll post the dyno results over the weekend.

Cheers

Phil

52200[/snapback]

Sorry - I forgot to thank TX as well - cheers.

Followup on the fork maintenance-

With forks fully compressed, spacer installed and damper rod down that measurement was 77mm airspace over the fork oil.  

52179[/snapback]

Wow.... When I did the same thing with my 2000 V-11 Sport's 41mm Marzocchi forks, adding the 400cc's of oil left 230mm of air space.