baseline dyno run

Guest aj howard

Guest aj howard

Well I took the Guzzi to the shop to get a baseline dyno run done before I start to add all the usual bits and pieces. I figured the best thing to do would be to shell out a few $$ and know where the starting point is for the bike.

Drumroll please

Dynorun 2. Max power 80.1

Dynorun 3 Max Torque 64.7

Not bad for a bog stock LeMans...

:bier:

I get to put all the fun stuff on this weekend and bring it back on Wed of next week for the dynotune..

Guest philbo
Well I took the Guzzi to the shop to get a baseline dyno run done before I start to add all the usual bits and pieces. I figured the best thing to do would be to shell out a few $$ and know where the starting point is for the bike.

Drumroll please

I get to put all the fun stuff on this weekend and bring it back on Wed of next week for the dynotune..

52203[/snapback]

Way to go. It's hard to shell out the money for a run before doing the mods but it will be interesting to see what the difference is. Which 'usual' bits and pieces do you have in mind?

A good result there AJ, interesting to see all 3 runs only took a couple of minutes to complete. Not as much pain for the bike as I imagined. Can't wait to see your next results.

Rob

Guest aj howard

the bits are

Staintunes

FBF crossover (their new design)

K&N

open airbox lit

Powercommander III

Guest philbo
the bits are

Staintunes

FBF crossover (their new design)

K&N

open airbox lit

Powercommander III

52210[/snapback]

That should be interesting - exactly the same as mine except that I went for the Stucchi rather than the FBF crossovers. I'll post my dyno inf. tomorrow as soon as I can - I'd also be interested in how long it takes you to get the exhaust installed. I spent around 8 hours total doing it and re-doing it and I still look at it from the back and see the left pipe is around 1/2 lower than the right. If you don't have this problem and the dyno looks similar, I might have to switch to the FBF cross over.

Cheers

Phil

aj,

I hate to be a buzz kill but your dyno sheet is junk. By definition HP and torque curves must cross at a bit over 5000 RPM (HP = ((torque) (RPM)) / 5250) and the lines on this sheet cross at nearly 7K RPM. I would be very concerned to be dealing with an "expert" who gave you this useless crap. Have a long talk with these people before you spend any more money. :angry:

Lex

I hate to be a buzz kill but your dyno sheet is junk. By definition HP and torque curves must cross at a bit over 5000 RPM (HP =  ((torque) (RPM)) / 5250) and the lines on this sheet cross at nearly 7K RPM

Lex... only when the units (numbers) are the same on the left and right, which on his they are not. Easy there. ;)

Todd

aj,

I hate to be a buzz kill but your dyno sheet is junk. By definition HP and torque curves must cross at a bit over 5000 RPM (HP =  ((torque) (RPM)) / 5250) and the lines on this sheet cross at nearly 7K RPM. I would be very concerned to be dealing with an "expert" who gave you this useless crap. Have a long talk with these people before you spend any more money.  :angry:

Lex

52309[/snapback]

Actally it is 5454 RPM for Tq and Hp or something like that but whatever!

P.S. You wait to see the numbers for the MGS! Awesome!

Lex... only when the units (numbers) are the same on the left and right, which on his they are not. Easy there. ;)

Todd

52311[/snapback]

Nonsense: the "left & right" columns will *never* be the same units, since they're measuring HP & ft-lbs of torque, respectively! The rpm runs across the bottom of the page, and it is the same axis for both graphs (supposedly.)

Lex is right, they're not running the dyno correctly since the torque & hp curve don't cross at all!, let alone at the proper 5252 rpm location...

I appreciate you don't want to pillory the shop running the dyno unnecessarily, but there definitely would seem to be a problem with the quoted numbers. I'd advise the OP to go back to the shop & point out this flaw, asking for another initial run to correctly establish his baseline [which is likely will not be as hopeful as his original run... :( ]

In the shop's defense, it may come down to something as simple as recalibration/zeroing of the inputs on the printer, and the same #s will result. We can only hope that this is the case!

:bike:

Guest philbo

Drumroll please

52203[/snapback]

I got mine done this morning and it maxed out at 78.13 with a max torque of 66.26 crossing pretty much right on 5200. I'm extremely happy with it. It was 77.27 / 65.43 before the custom map. Give or take the fact that it was fairly rich down low, I was surprised that the Stucchi, Staintune, FBF Airbox kit & PCIII with a stock map combination was so close. I'll scan the sheet and upload it as soon as I can.

Have fun.

Phil

Todd

52311[/snapback]

Todd is correct, I am not. My ancient eyes have betrayed me again. I saved the file, blew it up and now I can see the torque and HP sides are not to the same scale. While I question why someone would do this it doesn't change the fact that the curves would cross at the same correct point if the scales were the same. I guess another sign of old age is not understanding why people replace a simple convention, used for many years, with a complex solution that makes it virtually impossible to see the relationship between HP, torque and RPM for no gain that I can see.

In any case, my error, sorry. I'm afraid I'd just watched two episodes of Penn and Teller's B*llshit! and was over ready to discover fakes and charlatans. :blush:

Helicopter Jim,

The conventional formula is to divide by 5250, see HP info for more info. Is the 5454 number used in some other formula? Since 5250 is a constant replacing a complex series of calculations I can see how there could be another number but I can't figure out how it would result in the same HP figure unless there is a correction someplace else.

Lex