Shifting woes

Ralph Werner

When getting off the interstate enroute to the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was having great trouble shifting. My first thought was the dreaded shifter spring and how I was going to get the bike to a dealer (plus miss riding the Blue Ridge). :bbblll:

As I was looking the shift linkage over, to my delight I saw that the nut on the front linkage pivot was missing and the bolt was barely hanging in there. A trip to the local auto parts store produced the right size metric bolt and locknut (on a Sunday afternoon no less). It's a real bear to replace because there is no room to work but 30 minutes later the problem was solved. :bier:

It's worth checking those bolts and nuts now rather than on the road. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

Mine loosened up the same way but I caught it in time to Locktite it back on. Hasn't given a bit of trouble since. :luigi:

Guest Bruce

Mine was loose too which prompted me to take the whole linkage apart, greasing things that should be greased and adjusted things that should be adjusted. Night and day difference. If you drop the starter motor there is alot of room to work in there.

Guest ratchethack

Roger that. It's not a bad idea to remove the shift lever pivot shaft and grease it with something like boat-trailer wheel bearing grease, as they come dry from the factory. :( Yep, this make a difference too. :luigi:

Guest aironepony

Had the same thing happen on a V11 Sport and a Rosso Corsa. I made some "half nuts" in the lathe to lock the thing together. No trouble since.......... :thumbsup:

Both mine and Carl Allison's have also "fallen off" mid-ride, leaving you stuck in the gear "du jour" :P

It's a good idea to check the linkage every so often as part of your "pre-flight" checklist, although as long as a NEW nylock nut has been used any time the nut was removed, along with loctite, it shouldn't normally fall off.

al