Fuel Tank Removal

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

Did a search but didn't find anything significant.

Is it a pull up the rear and slide off job or something different. I plan to swap out the electric petcock for a manual one. Also want to replace the large breather hose and just give everything a good look see for now.

Oh yea, what is the device on the right side of the tank with the large hose coming out of it. Any worry of fuel once the hose is disconnected? It has a nipple on the bottom coming out 90 degrees for a small hose to slip over I guess.

Thinking of installing the FBF air filter kit. I have it installed on my California and love it. Need to raise the cash for a PC111 first.

Mike

Just had mine off this weekend and my re-learned tips are; Make sure you have a jar or bottle to catch fuel as you remove the main fuel line on the left side and the fuel return line on the right side. You'll need to hold the tank up while you slip off the two small lines at the saddle point of the tank (overfill collector and the breather line) also the electrical connector on left side.

My biggest lesson re-learned is; do not turn the ignition on while the fuel return line is off unless your ready to catch what the electric fuel pump has to offer! :doh:

The doodad on the right side of the tank is the fuel pressure regulator. The small hose connector is meant to simply sample atomospheric pressure to compare it to fuel pressure.

When you remove the hoses, they should be full of gasoline.

I recommend safety goggles, as the first time I removed the tank, a hose that I was removing, flingged fuel in my face. :ninja:

It may be a good time to replace the fuel filter and hoses...

Try doing it with tank pretty much empty if you can.

First time I did it I flooded the shed with fuel - twice. But I have the manual petcock & it wasn't turning completely shut - unknown to me. Next time I did it I was dreading the job but turned out very simple. Have some rags handy to mop up the fuel that will inevitably spill out of the hoses. Make sure you nip up the hose clamps tight when you're done - see Belfastguzzi's recent adventure.....

KB :sun:

Make sure you nip up the hose clamps tight when you're done - see Belfastguzzi's recent adventure.....

53143[/snapback]

Yes indeed: I was going to say, make sure that hose clips are done up tight when you reconnect!

I've also said here before, a simple thing: when you pull out the securing bolt and lift the back of the tank, watch out for the big washer dropping off the rubber, as you lift the tank away, and rolling off to get lost...

And make sure the heat reflective material is well stuck on the bottom before you replace the tank...it can really affect the breathing of your engine if you have an open air filter box. k

...And make sure the heat reflective material is well stuck on the bottom ....

Don't think mine's got any of that - is it US only? I remember there was a bit of old tape that was hanging off in the overspray but it didn't look like anything much.... :unsure:

Don't think mine's got any of that - is it US only?

53217[/snapback]

Yep. They wrapped all the turkeys in baking foil and sent them to America. The good bikes were kept for Europe. Pretty sure I read about in Performance Bikes.

Don't think mine's got any of that - is it US only? I remember there was a bit of old tape that was hanging off in the overspray but it didn't look like anything much.... :unsure:

53217[/snapback]

Yeah, well don't worry about it 'cause it don't do nothin' but fall off.

Oh, and 2X4 scrap piece (6" or so) works well to elevate the back of the tank so you reach up underneath it.

J

• 1 year later...

Try doing it with tank pretty much empty if you can.

First time I did it I flooded the shed with fuel - twice. But I have the manual petcock & it wasn't turning completely shut - unknown to me. Next time I did it I was dreading the job but turned out very simple. Have some rags handy to mop up the fuel that will inevitably spill out of the hoses. Make sure you nip up the hose clamps tight when you're done - see Belfastguzzi's recent adventure.....

Had the same bother taking off the tank on Helen's V11 Sport this afternoon- even though the petcock was turned as far as it went clockwise the fuel kept coming out- ended up draining the tank as it was easier.

She does now have a nice new Ohlins rear shock fitted though :)

Guy :helmet:

Guest oldtoolie

And while the tank is off, clean all of the electrical connectors under the tank especially the 2 bullet connectors. I had the tank off to replace the spark plug wires. Afterwards it started once and then nothing. Tank off again and cleaning the contacts brought relief and is why I have time to write this note. Thanks to this forum I knew this. :D