Stuck Starter Button

John O'Sullivan

I have just completed 7,500 kms trouble free biking and I blame myself for this problem as I overtightened the start/kill switch when I changed my clip-ons.

The starter button stuck on the ("in") contact position which does not come to mind immediatly when the symptoms of the problem become audable!

On taking off from stopped, I heard this unbelivable GRATING NOISE. I stopped immediatly, left the engine running and when I pulled in the clutch I got the noise again....I had a clutch problem or so I assumed. I continued home to find that when I went to start the bike that the starter button was stuck. Every time I engaged the clutch I was engaging the starter also.

Cleaned and adjuster the starter switch and button, took down the starter for inspection, lubed the gearshift pivot bolt as it was easy to get at with the starter out. Greased the kickstand pivot as I was greased up. Time 2 hours.

Result of starter motor inspection.....a few marks on the starter engagment gear but nothing serious.

Mind how you go! :stupid: