Chassis rod torque

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

Mike, mine popped pretty well coming apart like yours and Txrider's, but I 'spose that was due to a little corrosion. It went back together "surgically" clean. With stuff like this I typically clean threads on a wire wheel, then scrub 'em with lacquer thinner before applying Loctite Blue. Now torquing it over 20 ft./lbs. just seems to stretch the rod. I'm thinking about reaming the trans bosses, 'chops, and gussetted cross-bits to fit a close-tolerance, hardened, high-tensile strength, slightly larger-diameter rod. I figure this couldn't hurt as far as chassis stiffness goes in this area. Any thoughts?

Mike, mine popped pretty well coming apart like yours and Txrider's, but I 'spose that was due to a little corrosion.  It went back together "surgically" clean.  With stuff like this I typically clean threads on a wire wheel, then scrub 'em with lacquer thinner before applying Loctite Blue.  Now torquing it over 20 ft./lbs. just seems to stretch the rod.  I'm thinking about reaming the trans bosses, 'chops, and gussetted cross-bits to fit a close-tolerance, hardened, high-tensile strength, slightly larger-diameter rod.  I figure this couldn't hurt as far as chassis stiffness goes in this area.  Any thoughts?

54558[/snapback]

Ratchet,

I think the ticket would be to run a 1/2 reemer throught the whole works to make everything perfectly straight and this would also make a perfect 1/2 hole (.500 "). We are only talking 1 mm. larger than the original bolt. You could then have a precision machined (ground) rod and have theads rolled into them ( I would go with a fine thread for more threads per inch). This should cure your problem of bolt stretch and make things very rigid in the frame/trans area.

If you would like to have my virgin bolt (well just used once), send me a PM and I will ship it out to you.

Just a thought,

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Mike, that's exactly what I had in mind. I wouldn't go larger than this for fear of weakening the trans casting bosses. Is it possible that no one else has done this? The potential benefits seem pretty obvious to me, but then (like you!) I like Metzeler tires - so of course I must be balmy too. :wacko: But realistically, if nobody's done it before in the entire Guzzi Universe, maybe there isn't much advantage to be gained...? Thanks for the offer of the virgin rod. If I wind up snapping mine, I might take you up on it if the "bigger rod" idea doesn't pan out.

Thanks, Jason.  No prob - I realize almost no one but maybe myself and Dave actually read posts that're longer than a paragraph.  Huh, Dave? -_-  :thumbsup:

Personally I like pictures.

Checkout these Porkchops!

162sizzling_pork_chop.jpg

Sometimes I miss eating mammals... :P:

Dave, I replied to your PM but it doesn't show up in my "sent" file.  Did you get it?

54577[/snapback]

You betcha!

With patience, we will both get our suspensions sorted out.

I have to reseal my tranny soon, so I shall be taking the rear shock off, and the Porkchops as well.

I am also interested in adding the missing bracket from frame to gearbox:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=transmission

Thanks for your feedback. :bier:

You betcha!

With patience, we will both get our suspensions sorted out.

I have to reseal my tranny soon, so I shall be taking the rear shock off, and the Porkchops as well.

Thanks for your feedback.  :bier:

54624[/snapback]

David,

After seeing this unused attachment point on my spine frame, I would think just by adding the brace would stiffen up the whole works. It would be added support for the transmission and also help the spine from flexing (twisting) in hard cornering.

I would go for it! :luigi:

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Thanks for your feedback.  :bier:

54624[/snapback]

Dave, I found when crabbing the frame to get the trans out, you only need to take out the left porkchop. Leaving the rear subframe suspended on the right 'chop will minimize your effort by saving you many extra steps because of all the stuff you have to take off otherwise.

FWIW, exactly one year ago next week, I posted on my experience installing the "missing" bracket you're referring to, labeled somewhere in a manual as a "piastra colleg" (connector plate). As you probably know, and Jason noted, only the 2000 Sports (I think) have the requisite attachment tang on the frame. See post #43 at the link you provided for my caveats at that time on fabrication, fit & installation. I strongly suggest installing it while everything is apart as your trans is going back in, 'cause otherwise it's what Roper would no doubt refer to as "a right frontbottom". Don't ask how I know this. :luigi::grin: