03 scura 498

davidmcm

David - there you go! it's a simply matter of perspective....but ....no....you know what they say about sarcasm. :bbblll: How much did you pay for the Scura?... Really. The difference is the price to sort it - then you'll have an £8k motorcycle.....that you wouldn't get much over 4 for in a private sale........so best you hang on to it.....they're really not that bad...well I dunno - have you heard about the chocolate valve stems, the exploding clutches, dodgy pawl arms, springs, flaking paint & suspect gearbox internals?...still....you'll be here to give me some more tips on sorting the Tonti. Life can be cruel.

best, Keith :sun:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Belfast Guzzi, I dont know why the others have taken such a critical path, perhaps its self projection on how they see things.

The value for me in your question is that if your 497 scura was built at virtually the same time as mine then it may be closest in spec and therefore useful in comparison, hence the reason I submitted the number.

It came from ON YER BIKE, in England. Does yours display the appalling lack of quality of mine?

regards

David

55505[/snapback]

Ah ha! Were there a choice of two when you got yours? Obviously you chose the best and left the pup for me to buy, sight unseen.

Belfast Guzzi, I dont know why the others have taken such a critical path, perhaps its self projection on how they see things.

The value for me in your question is that if your 497 scura was built at virtually the same time as mine then it may be closest in spec and therefore useful in comparison, hence the reason I submitted the number.

It came from ON YER BIKE, in England. Does yours display the appalling lack of quality of mine?

regards

David

55505[/snapback]

I've reread this thread,and can find no criticism anywhere. As far as I can see, you have had nothing but offers of help and well meaning advice. A little gentle leg pulling is not criticism.

Guest SCURA275

:bbblll:TRY TO THINK A LITTLE BIT THIS IS NOT A JAP BIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THIS BEFORE YOU BOUGHT I LOVE MY BABY BUT IT TOOK SOME HARD WORK TO MAKE IT RUN THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE FROM THE FACTORIE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER JUST LISTEN

David, I am sorry about your experience with the bike...

I have no problems to report about my MG, but at the time of the purchase I was very well warned since I was already reading the Mg internet discussion groups :bier: .

At that time (early 2004) I pass on few nice bikes 'priced to go' a zero miles 2 years old red VFR, a real cheap zero miles Bandit 1200, a Kawa 1200, a SV 650 that fitted like a glove, and kept looking for a good deal from MG...

Why?

Well, I actually felt in love with an 850 Le Mans (20 years ago). But is not only that... I had before a Honda 360t and then a 550 four... Those were great bikes, but they aged real bad, they run perfect, but at about 35.000 kilometers something happen and every week I had to learn something about mechanics and part numbers... Not only that, but I remember the small rust lines showing up as if a self destruction clock came attached to every aspect of my Honda 360 and then again on the 550... Those are great bikes, and part of the problem may have been my student's budget, :2c: but why everything on the bike? -name it and I needed I new one! :homer: (the only reliable part of my 360t was a rear German tire)

With MG I was expecting -and willing to- to sort all problems at first with the help of the new bike's warranty then MG seems to age slow and sweet with long period of enjoyment after the 10.000 miles...

The fact is that the MG engine was settling into pleasure a bit pass the 500 miles, now at 4000 miles, I can only complain about being sunburn at the saddle wile riding it, and the full face helmet feels like wearing a hot basin every red-light... besides that MG has been a very pleasant surprise :mg:

The way is supposed to be is my experience with the Honda, run it while new, sell it at the second year and forget it. It will go to the Junk yard on someone else’s pocket… MG just would not run the same avenue. :mg:

Anthro

Ye Gods David, I nearly bought that bike off you. I suppose that seeing you had all that Guzzi experience made me a little nervous and I'm sure if you could not sort it then I would have had no chance. However my expectations would be somewhat lower than yours.

As consolation I would say that my V11 rosso corse seems well sorted and as it is similarly equipped yours must be able to be made to work. Lastly these Guzzis are just not making any money and for me a sorted one must be the bargain of a lifetime.

regards

• 1 month later...
Disappointedly I am selling my Scura, but before I do, I am determined to get the better of it and look to you all for help and assistance.

1: It vibrates like a cheap motel bed, how do you get rid of this? (the carbs are balanced to within a trillionth of their lives)

2: It wobbles like a birthday jelly, how do you overcome this? (I have fiddled with the settings with the meticulousness of a surgeon)

3: It has a spot flatter than a pancake at 5000rpm, can this be eradicated? (I can't bring myself to spend another washer on this outrageous thing)

4: Bridgestone exert much more pressure on their tyres than the lily-livered Guzzi manual, which is right? (I have tried both obviously, but what do you do)

Is it just me or do you all have rose tinted glasses on?

If this is the best Guzzi can do after 3500years of recorded civilised thinking then I am a carrot.

David

1.You should try a Sport 1100i Corsa. It vibrates lively (lovely :D ) as a girl having orgasm,

2.It is as perscise in riding and razor percise in turning as cutting with my Cold Steel's Tai Pan

3.When in scratch lean angles is as comfy and stable as traveling on a train

4.Tourge with my dynotec chip is as fat as an Elephants belly.

5.Makes every Japan bike that comes next to it really look like a carrot.. and sound like farting trompet....INDEED ...LOL

And that's the privilage and joy of riding a bike like a 1100Sport corsa. :grin:

OK the list is endles...and taste is taste.So if a bike doesn't come close to criteria like above it's better to be sold

:bier::drink:

:helmet: