Summer is here...

Guest Nogbad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... have to disagree with some of you fine gentlemen. ....My bike has a truly awful detonation problem. It shouldn't be this way....

Not saying there's not a problem - but it's a problem that can be solved one way or another. It's the general slagging off of Guzzi I don't like. If he doesn't like it, doesn't want to sort it, then get rid & move on.

KB :sun:

Not saying there's not a problem - but it's a problem that can be solved one way or another. It's the general slagging off of Guzzi I don't like. If he doesn't like it, doesn't want to sort it, then get rid & move on.

55051[/snapback]

I must say that I didn't read Nog's posting as "slagging off" - in fact I rather sympathise with him - I've owned and ridden nothing other than Guzzis for the past 13 years - 8 of them. At the peak of ownership I had six Guzzis in my garage, and on more than one occasion they were all unserviceable at the same time. The status could go from all serviceable to all unserviceable in a single day - puncture, dropped valve, harsh riding, alternator failure, dead battery - to name but a few of the causes. The latest disappointment is to have oil leaks from my MGS01 - and spares are not yet available.

Such experiences are bound to make us bounce into print - what's missing on these forums (fora?) is the personal touch that can only be discerned from face-to-face communication - what reads in a posting as a whinge might actually be a dry comment with no complaint intended.

I read Nog's posting as one from a committed Guzzist who has been slightly frustrated by the character of his Guzzi, but has decided to share his frustration in the hope of support, commiseration (not sure if that's spelt krectly!) and advice.

Take heart Nog - my Scura is pinking like mad at the moment, despite extensive upper cylinder work - I've found that the best solution is ear plugs!!!

Robin

Guest slowpoke

Hear, hear Guzzbun! True to form Guzzi's are not for everyone. Sure I've had the pinging. Sure I've had the glitchy fuel injection. But both my Guzzi's have not let me down. And for sure a lot of us like other bikes out there. A matter of fact I like to say that every motorcycle has some kind of endearing quality about them. After all, variety is the spice of life!

Guest Nogbad

Don't get me wrong here, I love the bike to ride, otherwise it wouldn't have so many miles on it now.

My problem is one of being worried about reliability, given it's my only bike. I'm not worried if I have to ride it in the powerband to avoid pinking so long as it doesn't let me down. I certainly wouldn't let it ping - the noise is truly awful and it is easy to imagine how this would break a piston in the end if you shut your ears and let it go.

I always use high octane which is painful at nearly £1 a litre

The latest problem is that a slight delay has developed between pressing the starter, and the starter turning. Still starts as enthusiastically as ever and turns over at the same speed though.

Do you think this pause is imminent Siemens relay failure? I should get round to replacing the relays.

...My problem is one of being worried about reliability, given it's my only bike....

Nogbad,

I'm lucky - I have the Tonti, & a car. If the Scura was my only transport I wouldn't be so relaxed.

I only very occasionally get pinking (the other day was very hot, stuck behind slow traffic) but I don't run it in traffic etc. most times.

I've always understood pinking is caused by weak mixture &/or over advanced ignition & that heat will exacerbate it. I don't know much about the FI & haven't touched mine. But Baldrick at Corsa did & I was very surprised how much better he got it to run over what I thought was pretty good from new. How is your FI set up?

I now have filter/exhaust mods & hence a PC111. The PC111/dyno really does work. I imagine it could benefit a stock bike too, every bike's different, & subject to settings, tune & wear - how else can you tune the fuelling across the rev range for any given bike?

What are your valve settings?

I did run Tontis for years as my only transport. I put some time into them & they've never let me down. It's too early to say if the Scura will be so good to me. You say you shouldn't have to modify the bike to sort it. Maybe you're right but for me Guzzis have always been thus & it's part of their attraction, you have to put the effort in...to make it yours. That said, if you don't have the time, money or inclination, you're relying on the bike for transport, & want total reliability, maybe you should be looking elsewhere...not sure if Buell is the promised land tho.... :huh:

You want ultimate reliability for short trips to work and whatnot? Get a honda 4 stroke 250cc enduro. Cheap, indestructable, fun and cheap. And fun.

The Guzzi shouldn't leave you walking if it's properly set up. 18K miles this one and it's doing fine (touch wood).

And your bike is fine, Nogbad. Ride it till it breaks down, then fix it. You'll be riding awhile.

J

Guest MikeC
Don't get me wrong here, I love the bike to ride, otherwise it wouldn't have so many miles on it now.

My problem is one of being worried about reliability, given it's my only bike. I'm not worried if I have to ride it in the powerband to avoid pinking so long as it doesn't let me down. I certainly wouldn't let it ping - the noise is truly awful and it is easy to imagine how this would break a piston in the end if you shut your ears and let it go.

I always use high octane which is painful at nearly £1 a litre

The latest problem is that a slight delay has developed between pressing the starter, and the starter turning. Still starts as enthusiastically as ever and turns over at the same speed though.

Do you think this pause is imminent Siemens relay failure? I should get round to replacing the relays.

55125[/snapback]

I replaced all my relays with the heavy duty Chinese made units. No worries.

Guest Nogbad

I have a car as well, so if the V11 is kind enough to pack up before a journey, no problem. I don't fancy being stuck in the middle of the M25 though!

Where can you get these heavy duty relays (GEI) in the uk?

55125[/snapback]

I asked a mate of mine who's an electrician and a motorcyclist, too (a Honda rider, though but he's ok, anyway :P )

He told me that there's no difference between Siemens and Bosch relays as they are produced by the same factory! In other words it's just a matter of which label they put on them.

If anybody has other info please let me know so I can slag him a bit!

TIA

Søren

Guest MikeC
I asked a mate of mine who's an electrician and a motorcyclist, too (a Honda rider, though but he's ok, anyway  :P )

He told me that there's no difference between Siemens and Bosch relays as they are produced by the same factory! In other words it's just a matter of which label they put on them.

If anybody has other info please let me know so I can slag him a bit!

TIA

Søren

55229[/snapback]

If you have one of each, compare the amperage ratings for the contacts. That is where I believe the problem is. The GEI relays have the highest rating. The other two are right at the upper limit or just below what the actual draw is when the starter button is pressed.