Gps, which one, and where did you mount it?

Guest aj howard

Guest aj howard

Hi all.

I want to add GPS to the Rosso, and was wondering what units you all are using, and where you mounted them.

I was looking at the cool color screen Garman,, but where the heck can I put it.. is the fairing big enough for one???

Pictures would be nice

Hi all.

I want to add GPS to the Rosso, and was wondering what units you all are using, and where you mounted them.

I was looking at the cool color screen Garman,, but where the heck can I put it.. is the fairing big enough for one???

Pictures would be nice

55346[/snapback]

I have a Rosso Corsa too and have mounted a RAM bracket for my Garmin Quest on the left hand clip on- here is a pic. The unit powers itself at the moment with a 20 hour battery but I will soon be converting it to run from the bike's battery as soon as the lead is available from RAM.

I have found the Garmin a real asset for navigating big city ring roads and it got us around the roadworks nightmare of Antwerp last week but it is not infallible so you need to keep your wits about you still.

Guy

I take one [Garmin 76S] when I'm touring on my V11. Put it in my tank bag, where the map would usually be.

Ciao, Steve G.

I did that with my Magellan Meridian, but it gathered so much heat from the sun that it shut down and dumped my memory (really p.o.'d about that as I had some 100 deer hunting spots plotted and lost them). Have you had a problem with yours gathering heat? k

heat from the sun ... it shut down and dumped my memory

really p.o.'d about that as I had some 100 deer hunting spots plotted and lost them

55426[/snapback]

Nature fights back, Stormy :sun:

Now that you mention it, I have had a problem with it, not heat related, but I think vibration related. Originally I thought it was having issues with the hard wired power off the bike. It will work until I start the bike [any of them] then just shut off. I have to remove all power, including batteries before I can restart the thing. Then I tried it with just batteries and it did the same thing. It works ok if I just carry it.

Probem is, to get it repaired requires I send the thing to bloody Quebec, where Garmin sends stuff in Canada. Minimum charge 125$ plus taxes. As I am literally heading out the door to Moto GP, the good old CAA/AAA map in the tank bag is doing what it does best, work!

Ciao, Steve G.

GPS? You've got a good tongue in your head, if you're lost,use it. Meet the locals and have a wee adventure. Personally, I'd prefer never to have to rely on "technology".

I'm not relying on it now, since it's lost all memory...LOL. Another couple of weeks required walking in the woods to reset all the points...sigh, could be worse, it could be raining. :D k

Guest aj howard

Hi,

Thanks for the photo,

Is that a RAM mount? and where did you attach it?

I was thinking I could use the unused bolt hole for the mirrors on a naked V-11

thanks

I use a RAM mount for my Garmin V on both my bikes and have never had a problem with it. RAM makes what they call a mirror mount. The ball is mounted on a flat plate. 38mm to the right is a 11mm hole to which the mirror stalk passes through. I found a M10 fine thread screw at a local screw specialty shop. I believe McMaster Carr also sells the screws.

Guest burke
Hi all.

Pictures would be nice

55346[/snapback]

I'll have to show you pictures later but I mounted my Garmin 5+ on the top triple clamp. I made an aluminum bracket that bolts where the top handlebar clamp bolts to the triple clamp. This provides me with a 3/8 inch bar to mount a "touractech" mount for my garmin. I think Cycoactive sells these. They are rubber mounted to reduce vibration and have a holder for the power cable so all you have to do is click it in and go. It puts the GPS right were it is easy to see but is still out of the way when you are looking down the road. It's trick.

Burke

Guest Nogbad

I would be worried about vibration with any of them, except the BMW one which is sold as a bike GPS, so if that one went wrong you would be OK for warranty. I can imagine the handheld folks refusing to service it, telling you the bike mounted environment was too harsh for the unit.

I would be worried about vibration with any of them, except the BMW one which is sold as a bike GPS, so if that one went wrong you would be OK for warranty. I can imagine the handheld folks refusing to service it, telling you the bike mounted environment was too harsh for the unit.

55628[/snapback]

The Garmin Quest is designed for motorcycle use and is fully waterproof. Mine has taken one hell of a bashing this year being carried around Europe camping, and getting drowned this weekend in Mid Wales and has been completely reliable.

I used to be a doubter but am now fully converted after actually using Sat Nav- more time riding and less time getting lost in city centres!

Guy :helmet:

• 1 month later...

Update- RAM now make a lead to power the Garmin Quest directly from the bike battery and includes a socket to allow you to connect up your intercom so you can hear strange voices in your head!

I have just bought one and will fit it to my bike next week.

Guy :helmet: