horrible looking drained oil

scre103

finnaly got around to changing some fluids: 1st gear box oil change since the gearbox mandatory rebuild revealed oil that was very grey with a metallic scheen to the oil when viewed in the drain pan, the rear trans oil was very milky like water was in the oil, is this possible? or does this oil always appear this way. could i have a seal problem back there. anyways i replaced with amsoil severe gear 75/90 synthetic oil in both. also i located two grease zerks on the shaft in the rear but can't locate the front one as illustrated in the owners manual. where is it. how do you get to the tilted zerk in the shaft joint, looks very tight, do i need a special grease gun. thanks scre :luigi:

Take a look at the magnetic tip on the oil drain plug. If there are metal flakes, then worry- otherwise, it could be water like what's in your tranny.

The transmission is prone to picking up water through the breather; a couple of threads were written up on this issue. Not sure what to tell you to prevent it. This assumes you get the bike up to operating temperature, etc.

To get to the front grease fitting, you need a swivel head grease tip and some patience (the first time). It's easiest if you raise the rear of the bike so the wheel hangs down as far as possible, it's easier to get to. Also, some people have ground the end of the tip down.

Take a look at the magnetic tip on the oil drain plug.  If there are metal flakes, then worry- otherwise, it could be water like what's in your tranny. 

55429[/snapback]

JR – when I had the side cover off, a number of times, the oil always looked metallic.

4box-oil.jpg

There was a metalic paste in bottom of the box.

2spgears.jpg

Maybe it's like this only during running-in, or maybe it's always like this?

It's not flakes though, just fine 'filings'.

On the other issue:

Following the practice of others here, I have put a plastic pipe onto the breather and fed it up into the underseat area. If the problem actually is water being splashed into the breather, this extension will stop it.

Take a look at the magnetic tip on the oil drain plug.  If there are metal flakes, then worry- otherwise, it could be water like what's in your tranny. 

The transmission is prone to picking up water through the breather; a couple of threads were written up on this issue.  Not sure what to tell you to prevent it.  This assumes you get the bike up to operating temperature, etc. 

To get to the front grease fitting, you need a swivel head grease tip and some patience (the first time).  It's easiest if you raise the rear of the bike so the wheel hangs down as far as possible, it's easier to get to.  Also, some people have ground the end of the tip down.

55429[/snapback]

there was some metallic dust stuck to the magnet, but i see a small amount of this stuff even on my harley oil changes! about the milky rear end oil, do i have a seal problem? scre

Usually milky oil would suggest emulsification caused by the oil not geting hot enough, but from what I've read in the forum, the moly additive causes the same effect.

There was a thread a while ago that suggested the gear oil level actually rose due to water getting in the vent. I think the solution was put a hose on the breather or fix the rear fender so that it actually works.

I think the pulverized metal is normal. Flakes would not be.

I recommend putting in some cheap gear oil, go for a hundred mile ride, drain it, and put in some good oil.

I was thinking of epoxy-ing a powerful magnet to the bottom exterior of the gear box, to help keep the crud out of the gears. Assuming aluminum will not shield the magnetism.

Plus it may help trigger green lights :cheese:

I was thinking of epoxy-ing a powerful magnet to the bottom exterior of the gear box,

55528[/snapback]

Hmmm. What happens when you drive over man-hole covers? <_>

The metallic-flecked gear oil sounds a lot like what was found in my 2000 Sport when it went in for the recall work - it appeared that the inside of the gearbox cases had been painted silver (presumably at the factory :huh2: ), and this had begun to flake off and work its way through the gearbox into bearings etc. The mechanic doing the recall work removed the rest of the paint before rebuilding the box with new bearings.

The mechanic doing the recall work removed the rest of the paint before rebuilding the box with new bearings.

55562[/snapback]

Drat! Now you tell me! I just sealed up my gearbox a few hours ago....The interior paint job was gorgeous until I used gasket remover on it. :homer:

Maybe if I sell my Manhole Covers on eBay, I can get enough money to pay for someone to overhaul the gearbox properly :D

Counteracts ...

55597[/snapback]

The essentials of the yin-yang school are as follows: the universe is run by a single selector spring, the Tao, or Great Ultimate Spring.

This cyclical nature of yin (or moto) and yang (or guzzi), the opposing forces of change in the universe, mean several things. First, that all phenomena change into their opposites in an eternal motorcycle of reversal. Second, since the blah, blah...

so, the upshot is, be careful when you mess with magnetism

Guest aironepony
so, the upshot is, be careful when you mess with magnetism

55609[/snapback]

EU directive 56289/e//Mag (2005) is based on the SERN agreement and aimed at the limitation of unlicensed use of magnetism.

Recent SERN magnetic field surveys have found that the earth's field is diminishing at a rate of 6% per annum. This is attributed to the increased production of permanent magnets for use in industry.

Every magnet that is created removes a commensurate amount of magnetism from the earth's natural magnetic field. If losses continue at the present rate the ionising effect produced in the upper atmosphere will decline to a level that will allow either the earth's field to "flip" and/or the ingress of life threatening solar radiations.

So be sure that you have an EU licence for any magnet that you intend to use after the effective date of the new legislation.

So far the US has declined to ratify the protocol.................. :thumbsup:

....So be sure that you have an EU licence for any magnet that you intend to use ...

This is a worrying development - Will Scalextric products have corporate cover or will I have to obtain individual user licences for myself & my family? Will there be a general licence to cover all personal magnet use? Most worrying of all, how will personal magnetism be policed? Many thanks.

KB :sun:

The essentials of the yin-yang school are as follows: the universe is run by a single selector spring

55609[/snapback]

Belfast, make up your mind- first it was string theory, now it's spring theory. What's next? Bling theory? Ring theory? Ming (vase) theory? Evolution?