BTW,

55697[/snapback]

BMW

– oh look at the time – gotta go and get the video recorder ready :thumbsup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BFG Were you a spectator at the races '74 or '75? Saw my first race in '76 at Knockhill in Scotland and I'm still knocked out by it. Seeing them old bikes again fair takes me back, Kangol leathers, Premier helmets and all that stuff- magic.

Well I set up the coaxial cable to the wifes PC in its temporary position whilst the building work takes place, and sat with finger poised. Started to record only to get a trailer for another programe so stopped the recording and restarted.

Having watched the programme went to check the recording only to find had stopped after 7 minutes. Where I restarted the recording the program had defaulted to its auto stop time of the next hour. :doh:

So sorry I messed up recording yet again.

BFG Were you a spectator at the races '74 or '75?

55703[/snapback]

No, saw the NW200 prior to that time, but not those races (I was too busy out manning the barricades in '74 :not: . I was fascinated tonight to see the (long gone) bike shop in Holywood where I used to get parts for the old XL250. On the programme, the guy showed the new-fangled 400 four. I had a ride on a yellow one from the shop and I remember a friend there counted up what it would cost to assemble one by buying the parts. Of course it came to a shockingly high amount.

Re your picture:

belfastguzzi Posted

Its that porridge thing again. What way do your cylinders really point? You're clearly a BM boy at heart and, ipso facto, not deserving.

"BM"  ??

bimota?  big macho?  brainy n' manly?  buncha mustard? 

BTW, I'm a single cylinder kind o' guy.  A thumper, you might say.  And you have two, eh?  Doesn't sound good.

55697[/snapback]

So sorry JR, got you confused there. It was actually Guzzirider who was the beardy porridge eating BMW fancier, not your good self

This link to other thread

Re your picture:

It was actually Guzzirider who was the beardy porridge eating BMW fancier, not your good self

This link to other thread

55773[/snapback]

1/ I am too young to grow a beard.

2/ I have not ever ridden a BMW, do not wear leather shorts and do not enjoy watching grown men wrestling.

3/ I have no idea what the BMW "drop off" riding formation entails.

4/ I prefer ladies to men.

5/ Don't eat porridge- thats for men in skirts painted in wode.

As a broad minded adult, I have no objection at all to others (such as Antonio) partaking and enjoying such activities but its not my cup of tea.

Guy :helmet:

Hope this clears things up

Hope this clears things up

55774[/snapback]

I don't think it does at all. Methinks you protest too much.

There was a BMW rally passing through at the Erin, last month, and I'm sure that it was you that these young gentlemen were asking after. Well, it was either you, or John O'Sullivan. Or was it that J.O'S was asking after them. Oh, now I'm all confused again.

must-khaki-st.jpg

Bob and Norman, from the Danish BMW Kruisers Klub.

• 1 month later...
  BBC1 NI is showing a 4 part series of 1970's road-racing film footage...Last week was excellent intro to NI road-racing developmentand the start of the legendary 'Armoy Armada' and 'Dromara Destroyers'. This week – Wednesday 10.45 – will be picking up from that, with Joey coming to the fore. The battles of Mervyn Robinson, Tony Rutter, Joey Dunlop and Ray McCullough...

The Charge of the Bike Brigade...never before broadcast film of the glory days of Ulster's motorcycling superstars.

The series was shot by brothers Colin and Alwyn James and starts tomorrow night. It features coverage of the sport by turning the clock back three decades, with action showing the Armada, led by a young Joey Dunlop, going handlebar to handlebar with the Destroyers, led by Ray McCullough.

The poignancy of the racing world will not be lost on the viewers, as the Destroyers are all still alive, whereas none of the legends from the Armada remain...

55548[/snapback]

I see this is being re-shown on BBC2 on Sunday nights, so presumably it's available to the rest of the Great British United Kingdoms. Tonight was part 2. I think parts 1 & 2 were probably the most interesting but it's still worth catching the next two programmes – and next week has the first on-bike film-camera race action.

Also for satellite watchers, the recent Ulster Grand Prix, Europe's fastest road circuit, is on BBC1 NI on Monday night (Digital Channel 943). Edit –––––––>That's now TONIGHT folks.

Thanks for the tip BFG! Will be watching UGP tonight!

58312[/snapback]

Hope you're watching Guy – it's on now and it's very good. I shouldn't really say so here, but it's so much better seeing it all on tv than it was watching the real thing, where you only get a few short seconds' blast past your eyeballs. 180 on those bendy wee country roads :rolleyes: blink, gone.

Yes, it's.

8-)

58322[/snapback]

Gosh, how did that happen? JRT must have thrown me / stressed me out: of course it's it's. Unless, perhaps, it was a deliberate mistake as it was referring to another thread where JRT let himself down most shamefully. It was all a long time ago.

Hope you're watching Guy – it's on now and it's very good. I shouldn't really say so here, but it's so much better seeing it all on tv than it was watching the real thing, where you only get a few short seconds' blast past your eyeballs. 180 on those bendy wee country roads  :rolleyes: blink, gone.

58356[/snapback]

Well that was ace- I particularly enjoyed the final superbike tussle between Guy Martin and Ian Lougher- touching wheels at 150mph in the wet!!

I also like the way they back off to 180mph on the straight because the roads were soaking.

These guys are true heroes racing on that road- all those trees and posts to crash into- ouch! It annoys me that complete ponces like David Beckham get paid millions to kick a bag of wind around a field while these guys go largely unrecognised for literally putting life and limb on the line just to entertain and if lucky win a few hundred quid.

I raise my glass to them! :drink::bier: