Wilbers shock

beauchemin

I'm placing an order for a Wilbers shock (for '03 V11S), but I'm not sure what length to specify. The Sachs is 276mm and the Ohlins is 286mm (thanks to dlaing for his great work in this topic http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...topic=5488&hl=). I'm considering getting the length adjustment, but I would rather just specify the "ideal" length and then stick with it.

I considered Ohlins, but what has sold me on the Wilbers is the high and low speed compression damping.

As long as you can get 70mm of travel, I would go with the Ohlins 286 length.

You can always increase the sag to a lower ride height.

Let us know how it works out!

The extra adjuster and lower price on the Wilber are very appealing.

To get the same sort of adjusters on a Penske, you are looking at big bucks.

With the Ohlins, it may not even be possible to get the high speed compression adjuster for our bikes. But I was considering looking in to that.

Have you picked out a spring weight?

I am a little over 210lbs, and went with a 475# spring, that gave me sag of about 5mm bike only and 30mm bike and rider.

I still have not decided if this is ideal.

Since the Wilber can reduce the high speed compression, a higher spring rate, may be better.

I backed my Sachs compression off 33 turns from closed, since the bottoming appears to no longer be a problem.

It will still need more tuning.

The Wilbers (with remote hydraulic preload) is not cheaper -- $975 from Guzzitech. The Ohlins is $900 but lacks the high-speed compression adjustment.

I haven't specified a spring rate - the factory will decide. I have specified my weight in full gear, my riding style, and desired ride. I'm 205 lbs in full gear.

The more I think about it, the length adjustor might be a good idea. Maybe the thing to do is specify a length of 281mm, with +/- 5mm adjustment -- that way I can try both ways.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh yah, I forgot about the remote pre-load option.

For me, the remote pre-load is just more clutter.

It would be nice for two up riding but, I don't do very much two up riding, and when I do, I don't mind the springs sagging a bit.

If you go with the height adjuster, keep in mind that you can't adust the travel, so, 281plus or minus five, could probably have no more than 60mm travel....yah you might be able to squeeze some in, but not much without risking the swing arm hitting the frame.

Ohlins did a good job maximizing the dimensions.

I think the Ohlins 286/70 diimensions are still better.

But yes, I would pick the WP 280/64 dimensions over the Sachs 276/60.

Remember, that unless the spring is too long or too heavy, you will be able to reduce the pre-load to adjust the ride height. Of course that is at the expense of travel, but you will be gaining travel with the larger dimensioned shocks to a degree equal to the change in ride height. So you have got nothing to risk by going with the Ohlins dimensions....assuming Wilbers can do it. It could be that their shock body is too long to maximize travel.

For me the longer the shock the better (within limits of shaft/uj angles etc), get more weight onto front. I have Scura w/Ohlins, they work but dunno if you could go longer (Scura Ohlins probably only that length cos Aprilia had a bunch around!)? Would like still more weight forward. See Guzzi have redesigned Breva to put alt up between V so's they can mount motor further up forward.

KB :sun:

I am terrible at measuring, but from the measurements I took with my shock off, Ohlins has pretty much maximized how much travel one can get in both directions.

If you go with adjustable height models, you may take some exact measurements, otherwise you may end up damaging your swing arm in the compression direction and U-joint in the extended direction if the lengths vary too much.

It's going to have to be a fixed length. I just did some digging at the Wilbers website and it states that the ride height adjuster is not available for the V11. I'm still waiting to hear what length/stroke Wilbers specifies.

BAldini,

You don't need the alternator on the engine to make a shorther bike. Your scura has an extended frame in the front, I did the opposite and took an inch or so out behind the steering head, and 2 degree steeper angle. Still no wheel touching the alternator. So at a scura you can even takeout more. This gives more weight over the front. O, and my fork legs are 35mm shorther than the scura ohlins.

OK, so in the interest of being prepared to finalize the order as soon as I hear from Wilbers...  I assume that I just go with a specified length of 216mm + the stroke?  (Up to a maximum of 286mm, of course.)

56782[/snapback]

You got it!

....... don't need the alternator on the engine to make a shorther bike.... took an inch or so out behind the steering head, and 2 degree steeper angle.... ...

Yeh, but Breva keeps similar wheelbase to my Scura, just shunts wt forward, & uses long s/a. I like long wheelbase - i like stability, life is precarious enough!

KB :sun:

The standard Wilbers spec is a length of 285mm, with an effective stroke of 58mm. I'm going to go with the standard length, since its consistent with the Ohlins length.

I wonder if the Ohlins 70mm stroke is the theoretical stroke (without bumper) or the effective stroke (with compressed bumper). Does anyone know?

On the WP, the total stroke is 64mm, with an effective stroke of 56mm.

I guess Mike Stewart hasn't checked into the board in a while, otherwise I am sure he would have responded to these threads.

He did a lot of work with Penske to get a shock that fit the V11 properly, and switched back and forth between the Penske and the Ohlins. In the end he had a lot of data with regard to the types of questions you are asking.

I'd do a search on Penske in the forum and check out his threads and/or drop him an email.

al