Rear Damper

big J

The new damper arrived today, fitted straight on, very nice quality piece.This is the rebound adjuster, moves the threaded rod with a 2.5mm allen key in the wee hole.

The main compression damping adjustment is performed by depressing a plunger in the hole and rotating the piston rod.

Low speed damping adjustment adjuster

The whole shebang.

Only been for a quick 20 mile spin, but I'm impressed enough to recommend one. Didn't even have to adjust or reset anything,worked great straight of the box. Cost me £480 +vat.

Happy?

Dog with two dicks.

Very nice piece of gear, but I'm not sure about that purple spring..... :)

For low-speed compression adjustment do you have to stick your fingers between the coils to grab and rotate the rod? How hard is it to get to with the shock installed?

Beauchemin, the low speed damping is altered using the remote adjuster, wich locates in the stock Sachs bracket. Main damping adjustment is done with the plunger in the damper body. I havent needed to alter it, but it looks pretty easy to do, just make a bent rod( welding rod?) to depress the plunger, remove the bolt holding the piston in the frame, rotate it a click and reassemble.

When the plunger is depressed,it engages the danping adjuster,and when released,the piston can move freely.

Put some more time on the bike today, and I have to say that there is a big difference over the Sachs unit. It's difficult to quantify, but the bike is more compliant over the bumpy roads here, more comfortable to ride yet doesn't stray in fast bends, stays right on line. The only trouble now is that overnight someone seems to have replaced my forks with broomhandles. Suppose thats what happens when you upgrade, other parts start to feel inferior, where previously I was quite happy.

• 11 months later...

The only trouble now is that overnight someone seems to have replaced my forks with broomhandles. Suppose thats what happens when you upgrade, other parts start to feel inferior, where previously I was quite happy.

Does Maxton make forks? I've only heard of the rear shock from Maxton. I wouldnt mind replacing my broomsticks someday & I dont want to pay through the nose for Ohlins & have to worry about the fork seals.

Does Maxton make forks?

I don't believe they make them but you can post them your old forks and they will transform them to a much better spec and to suit your weight / riding style.

I am considering taking the forks from the V11 Sport to them this winter depending upon the price.

Guy :helmet:

Dave,the travel looks to be around 60-65mm,but it's hard to measure with any accuracy without taking it off the bike.

Richard,if you send Maxton your forks,they rebuild them for you.I'm going from memory,but I believe that they dont bother with adjustable rebound damping on a road bike.Both fork legs are stripped and re-engineered with rebuildable shim stack damper units,new springs to suit your weight and have adjustable compression damping and spring preload.

I was going to have mine done last winter,but between one thing and another,it didn't happen.A couple of mates have had theirs done(Suzuki Bandit 1200 and 93 Fireblade)and they were well chuffed.I havent ridden an Ohlins equipped Guzzi,only a WP forked sporti which felt a lot better than my 'zocchis.Mine will definetly be getting the Maxton treatment this winter.I think the price was £240 plus vat,which shouldnt apply to the colonies.I dunno what postage would be,but it's got to be a hell of a lot cheaper than an Ohlins set up.

It would be interesting to be able to compare the two set-ups.Maybe someone with a Scura or RM would like to try both and report back?Keith,maybe next year at Anglesey would you be up for a test ride?BFG?Anybody?

Dave,the travel looks to be around 60-65mm,but it's hard to measure with any accuracy without taking it off the bike.

It appears like they were smart enough to make it match the Sachs.

I know Mike Stewart had to return his Penske Shock to get it to the right size and Chris Beauchemin's Wilbers shock rides a little high for my liking....so it is good to make sure they are getting the measurements right.

It looks like a top quality shock.

It is so difficult to chose.

Thanks for checking :bier: