hello, old friends

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

Hi gang!

The gentleman who bought my LeMans is having an issue with it, quite similar to what happened to me on my Canada trip with Brian R.

When Moto International replaced my temp sensor, my bike ran perfectly well until the day I sold it. But now...she's being odd again.

The guy who bought the bike is Kevin. His email is: actor@d-web.com

He's in Central California, so if any of ya'll down there could help him, I would be very, very grateful. Here's the email he sent me:

To: Dave Gross <dkgross@mac.com>

Date: Mon Jul 25, 2005 04:55:49 PM PDT

Subject: Le Mans

Hi Dave,

Haven't heard from you in a while. How's life treating you up there is the Great White North?

It's currently 104 degrees outside so I imagine you're temps must sound better than this.

Wanted to give you an update on the Le Mans and all the fun I've been having tying to trouble shoot the misfiring problems. Monroe motors has looked at the bike twice now. They've checked the temp sensors which both fall within spec. I've checked the throttle position sensor which also falls within spec.

I've called the Guzzi factory techs and emailed the Guzzi owners club and received several suggestions as to what could be wrong. It's truly amazing how much more complicated they have made these bikes just to meet emission standards. Temp sensors(2), throttle position sensors, bike level sensors which shut off the fuel if the bike is tipped over, and barometric pressure sensors to help the ICM modify fuel flow to the fuel injection system, Ignition timing sensor............

Seeing as how the problems appear related to lack of adequate fuel flow it was decided to remove the Racing ICM and replace it with a stock unit as the ICM has a built in barometric pressure sensor. We also replaced the stock fuel filter just to cover all bases. Doing these two things has resolved 98% of the misfiring problems.

The biggest culprit appears to be the barometric pressure sensor as the bike only runs badly once it gains altitude. The big question now is....can one buy just the replacement Racing ICM without having to buy the entire exhaust system. The sad thing is the Guzzi rep. didn't even know the answer to this question. He said he would have to do some research and get back to me in a couple of days.

Meanwhile I'm out about an extra $400.00 on troubleshooting time and parts. Another interesting problem which cropped up was that the low oil pressure light came on. Monroe tried replacing the pressure sensor but the problem remained. They finally discovered that whomever did the last oil change didn't tighten the filter correctly and it had backed off enough to let oil flow by thus lowering the oil pressure to the point where the warning indicator lit. I had Monroe change out the oil and filter and the problem resolved itself. So back to the original problem.

I'm back to trying to locate a replacement Racing ICM for the Le Mans. If you know of someone who has a spare let me know...soon! Also, do you know the whereabouts of the original factory ICM for the Le Mans? It's not with any of the parts I brought with me. Additionally if you have a bill of sale or remember about when you purchased the Titanium pipes that might be helpful as well as there might be some sort of warranty Guzzi might be willing to honor...yea right!

So, that life with the Le Mans in a nut shell. Hope you're having better luck with the Yamaha.

Regards,

Doc

Did you hear anything.... I didn't :P

.... ignore him, he's a traitor <_>

:lol:

Heh, how are things going Dave? It's been a long time. Have you taken any good trips on the FJR?

So howabout that infamous "FJR Forum Scism" :huh:

Anyway, your friend has some interesting problems for sure, although I'm not sure that changing out the ECU is going to be the issue. As he may already know, there is no difference between the "racing ECU" and the standard ECU, other than its map.

It seems like this problem is cropping up for him in high temps, and that leads to a lot of assumptions.... but I don't want to speculate yet.

If I were you, I'd direct him to this forum, and this thread explicitly. It would serve him better, and offer less confusion than emails from myriad sources. That way we can pool our collective "wisdom" :rolleyes: in one thread instead of individual speculation.

al

Guest dkgross

:blush:

awwww..ya still luv me :)

I've sent Kevin a link to this forum and told him to get his butt in here. You guys are the best, and I know ya'll can help sort it all out for him.

I was wondering about the race ECU that comes with the TiCans as well....Just a different map, and isn't there something else more adjustable about it (a timing thing???)

anyway..I'm sure ya'll will sort it out.

Took the FJR to Rick Mayers for a new seat in May, and mostly tool around the mountains here. I'd love to go back up to Canada again...Maybe early September. I've actually been working most of the summer..

did you guys move???

We sold the house Saturday. Although we waited a whopping WEEK to take offers :rolleyes: .... the darned thing actually sold in about 2 days because the gal that bought the house already was "chomping at the bit" to make her offer within days of its being listed :sun:

We listed it for $589k, and it sold for $636k.... you gotta love the crazy SF Bay area home market(which is why we are leaving) :doh:

.... and BTW, although a cute house, keep in mind that this insane price was for 2BR/1BA, built in 1942(which I think is an advantage), and only ~960 sqft. Nuts.

So, we'll be renting a house in NC in the coming week or so, and getting the movers in.

The buyers want to close in 21 days, but gave us an additional 14 days "rent back" for free in case we get delayed.

al

Guest dkgross

man oh man..sounds like our area as well...though, I can't QUITE get that much for mine :)

But yeah..most house go for OVER the asking price by 20-30k, and don't last more than a week or so.

what part of NC??

Guest Dave Pott

Hey Dave, have you heard the "Tick of Death" yet from the FJR??

Lest y'all think only Guzzi's have problems.....Clicky

Just part of motorcycle ownership I suppose <_<

man oh man..sounds like our area as well...though, I can't QUITE get that much for mine :)

But yeah..most house go for OVER the asking price by 20-30k, and don't last more than a week or so.

what part of NC??

56835[/snapback]

Heading to the RTP(Raleigh) area. Same job, just new location.... and MUCH lower cost of living :grin:

Guest dkgross
Hey Dave, have you heard the "Tick of Death" yet from the FJR??

Lest y'all think only Guzzi's have problems.....Clicky

Just part of motorcycle ownership I suppose <_<

56836[/snapback]

so far..no Ticky O'Death from the FJR. Only the sound of me screaming whilst trying to hold on.

:)

About the only thing that costs more in NC compared to CA is food. 

56849[/snapback]

And air conditioning :sun:

But then again, Enron and the like, may not have damaged the south-east the the way they did the West coast.

hmmm, my company just opened up a campus in Florida. :grin:

Guest dkgross
And air conditioning  :sun:

But then again, Enron and the like, may not have damaged the south-east the the way they did the West coast.

hmmm, my company just opened up a campus in Florida. :grin:

56877[/snapback]

depending on WHERE in FL..it might be fun. I lived in Orlando for 30 years...Love it there.

Guest dkgross
I lived in Winter Park(in Orlando area) from 1981 to 1983... one of my favorite places  :wub:

56969[/snapback]

ahhh...Bubaloo's BBQ...PR's Mexican.....The Why Not Lounge...the Cheek to Cheek nightclub...ahhhh...

:)

ahhh...Bubaloo's BBQ...PR's Mexican.....The Why Not Lounge...the Cheek to Cheek nightclub...ahhhh...

^^ Who is this guy ? I thought that if a person didn't have Guzzi , they would at least have to own a Solex to post here :huh2:

Jaap leaves town & people start selling & wrecking their Guzzi's & then some guy on a Yamaha shows up :wacko:

This is disgusting :vomit: I sure hope the Administrator :thing: puts a stop to this :2c:

Guest dkgross
^^ Who is this guy ? I thought that if a person didn't have Guzzi , they would at least have to own a Solex to post here  :huh2:

Jaap leaves town & people start selling & wrecking their Guzzi's & then some guy on a Yamaha shows up  :wacko:

This is disgusting  :vomit:  I sure hope the Administrator :thing:  puts a stop to this  :2c:

57069[/snapback]

:bier:

I still have the cool jacket tho..