Pratt Lay Shield Hugger

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

I was thinking of replacing the stock hugger with the PL version. Looks like it will clean up the rear a bit and also add protection where the stock one does not.

I was wondering if anyone has one installed on a V11, comments and a picture or two would be appreciated. I have seen their website and the pictures could stand to be updated.

Mike

Guest MikeC
I put it on the daytona rs with the 5.5 rear pvm wheel

Could take few pict if you want.

56943[/snapback]

I would very much appreciate the pictures.

What do you think of it?

Mike

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of replacing the stock hugger with the PL version. Looks like it will clean up the rear a bit and also add protection where the stock one does not.

I was wondering if anyone has one installed on a V11, comments and a picture or two would be appreciated. I have seen their website and the pictures could stand to be updated.

Mike

I also am thinking of replacing my rear hugger after finding a link to the Pratt Lay site: http://www.prattlay.co.uk/fasteners.

I am also hoping Edge will supply me with his sealing kit as well, to make the back of my V11 really well protected.

Has anyone had any experience with the Pratt Lay Hugger on a V11 ?

Is it a worthwhile product, seems cheap enough ?

The main things that worried me was that it did not seem to extend back & over as far as the standard item and is held on with plastic clips instead of bolting to the swing arm.

Any comments from current users would be appreciated.

Mike

I have on my sport1100i , worth every penny, easy to instal and remove, offers respectable protection against dirt and so on.

Can't tell the difference between it and the V11' factory shield hugger though.But I think it offers the gerabox side protection.

And yes these clips are really tight ,and enough to hold the hugger well on to the swing arm (at least th 2 years I have it on there wasn't any single problem with it)

:2c: I recommend this product.

Further more I am surprized of the steel used (A2) on other applications he sells.It is one of the high quality steels (and more expencive than i.e. 420 series or 440A stainles for instance) with excellent hardness and corrosion resistance as well as very good tollerance to vibrations and so on.

By coincedence I have just ordered one after seeing the advert in this month's Gambalunga magazine.

Guy :helmet:

Guy,

If you could let me know how it goes that would be appreciated !

• 2 weeks later...

The Pratt and Lay shield hugger arrived last week and I have just fitted it which took about 10 minutes- it attaches to various parts of the frame using tough pop on fasteners and 2 cable ties.

Looks much smarter and smaller than the standard plastic monstrosity. The shield is made of tough rubber, rather like a mudflap for a car.

I guess the really the important factor is does it work? I'll let you know after a ride in the rain.

If it does work ok, then pretty good value for just under £40.

NYC012.jpg

NYC014.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Pratt and Lay shield hugger arrived last week and I have just fitted it which took about 10 minutes- it attaches to various parts of the frame using tough pop on fasteners and 2 cable ties.

Looks much smarter and smaller than the standard plastic monstrosity. The shield is made of tough rubber, rather like a mudflap for a car.

I guess the really the important factor is does it work? I'll let you know after a ride in the rain.

If it does work ok, then pretty good value for just under £40.

Well Guy, have you tried it in the rain yet :whistle: , would you recomend it :huh2: . I want to get rid of the standard hugger and will fit this one or a carbon fibre one (if there is such a thing).

Gary

Yes I've tested it in the rain now and my shock was identically dirty as the other 2 V11s I was riding with over the last few weeks.

So in summary, it looks much better but probably does not make much difference either way in terms of protection compared to standard.

Ewan- not sure about the edge guard affecting it- maybe my photos will tell you the answer- if not I can take some more.