Oil which?

wambiker

Guest slowpoke

I use Amsoil 20/50 full synthetic and have been very pleased with the results. The quality of the oil is superb, long lasting and relatively inexpensive although I change it out every 2500-3000 miles and will change to a new Amsoil filter-much better than the paper filters-on the next oil change.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Is the oil for the V11?

What's the deal with synthetic oil for diesel and V11? Is this a good match?

57862[/snapback]

Theoretically it is a good match because (Most) diesels don't have catalytic convertors or wet clutches, so they should contain the optimal additives for machines without wet clutches or catalytic convertors.

Automobile oils add lower than ideal quantities of Phosphorus and Zinc.

Motorcycle oils are expensive, and are not as slippery as diesel and automotive oils because of concerns that the wet clutch will slip.

If you have a catalytic convertor, forget I ever mentioned it.

The problem I have seen so far is that I have not seen diesel in xW50, usually it is 10W40 or lighter or it is a straight weight.

Sorry, when I asked for synthetic diesel oil, I should have asked for synthetic diesel 20W50 to 5W50.

I just read somewhere that Amsoil is not API certiified because it has too much Phosphorus or Zinc, so it is an excellent choice....but expensive.

I am not sure what the difference between Amsoil for motorcycle and Amsoil for car is????

Mobil One V-Twin has a pretty good amount of phosphorus and zinc, as do many of the motorcycle synthetics.

Pete wrote Friction Modifiers cause glazing, so that may be a good argument to stay away from automotive and diesel oils. Pitty since they are less expensive.

Good thing oil is not going up in price as fast as Petrol!

I don't make any compromise with my oil for my baby 1100i Sport Corsa.

There is only AGIP 20-50 RACING -full synthetic.

OR the MOTUL 300V Competition FULL SYNTHETIC 15-50, to run inside her engine.

DO NOT comprimise with Oil , it is the food of the motor, would you like eating

bad quality food or food substitutes??

:bier:

Hi all, I'm sure this must have been covered in the past but can't find it in technical topics anywhere. What type of oil is best for V11s. I have semi-synthetic in at the moment and have done 2500 miles in the 1st 5 weeks that I've had it  :bier: so will be looking at changing it soon. Also what mileage is normal for oil changes. I intend to drop the pan to clean the screen as well as change filter. I have always thought oil and filters to a damn site cheaper than engine rebuilds. My bike is a 2000 V11 in glorious Green, and I'm having a ball with it. :bike: Sorry if this is old ground but you guys seem to be the best source of genuine advice and wisdom.

Cheers Gary :helmet:

57477[/snapback]

For starting an oil thread you shall be tryed under rule 303

You will be Judged buy rule 303

You will be shot by rule 303.

Those who have seen the Breaker Morant movie will understand

Guest Nogbad
For starting an oil thread you shall be tryed under rule 303

You will be Judged buy rule 303

You will be shot by rule 303.

Those who have seen the Breaker Morant movie will understand

58474[/snapback]

And as you will also appreciate, that doesn't make it right!

Thanks for all those options and views I'll go for synthetic and have just discovered that the bike had a speedo change at 4800 miles so has now done 13000 rather than the 8500 I thought it had :homer: I will consider myself rule 303'd and go and find out what it is.

Cheers Gary.

• 1 month later...

Somewhere I read that synthetic oil eats the bearing cages in Moto Guzzi engines. But according to this thread many of you use synthetic oils. Has anyone experienced this problem, or is it BS?