Throttle locks ?

Guest bshpilot

I'm a slow learner- I've had several throttle rockers of various styles. I dislike them all. They make the throttle sensitive to bumps (as mentioned above), don't let you take your hand off the bar (as mentioned above), but mainly their problem is that between town and highway riding, they are always in the wrong place. I prefer the vista cruise which really does lock the throttle. It can be disengaged in a fraction of a second, so it's not unsafe.

I have some carpal issues and ulnar nerve issues, so I was worried when I flew to Sacramento to pick up the Tenni. I couldn't afford the Throttlemeister, so I bought a rocker and went with that. It worked pretty well, but I had to learn how to go about setting it in the right place without hitting the kill switch, and mine also came off in my hand while going through some sweepers on I-5 at night.

I think I will still add a lock at some point, as my wrist are getting worse and I don't feel like I can grab the brake well enough with that numb club at the end of my arm that my hand becomes after an hour.

Then again, I meet with the doctor on Friday to discuss alternatives... like surgery. After that, I may not need anything at all.

FWIW, I also used two good sized o-rings (maybe 1/8th" thick?) in between the grip and throttle cable housing to add friction to the throttle. While it won't hold speed for long periods of time, it definitely adds enough that I can leave it alone and stretch out, get into the tank bag, etc. Between that and the rocker, it's a good compromise, but I'm with jrt on the fact that it's always in the wrong spot. Hence the in-flight adjustments that led to the damn thing falling off. I think I'm going to end up with a vista cruise type setup sooner than later.

I rely heavily on my throttle rocker. Not unsafe at all nor does it make for overly sensitive throttle input when you use it correctly and get some miles in using it. On my FJR I have done a few IBA LD rides and the rocker saved me from certain hospitalisation.

If you are worried about grip real estate, try the "Throttle Boss" from Kuryakin. It's the smallest of it's kind. I have found you don't need a big rest platform, just a little nubbin is often plenty enough to get some rest and it will not get in your way. You can take it off quickly with one hand when you reach the twisties.

A throttle lock can be very useful if you, like me, ride on highways that go 400-500 miles straight as a string (Hiway 50 in Nevada, I-70 across Kansas, to name a few). Set the lock and take the strain off your wrist and hands. I currently don't have a lock because I really hate the build quality on the Vista, and others. There is a vendor of EXTREMELY high quality throttle locks ... a bit pricier, but appear to be just the ticket. No first hand experience with it though. Have a look for yourself. I particularly like the "Cock and Lock", but the "Cam Sport" looks interesting.

Clicky