Sachs-Boge Question

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I decided to fiddle with my suspension at the weekend in an attempt to get better comfort and address the skipping and standing up in rough corners.

So - I backed the forks off 2 clicks on both legs and the rear off 2 clicks on both comp and rebound.

Result - much better. I then decided to see where the adjustment actually was in the range. My manual gives the ranges as 20 clicks from fully closed on the rebound and 7 clicks from fully closed on the compression.

So, I counted the number of clicks till the rebound collar stopped going clockwise - 12. Ok, thats 2 clicks softer than mid position, and I return the ring 12 clicks anticlockwise. So far so good.

Now I come to the compression and start to screw the knob clockwise ->+ expecting it to stop after 4 or 5 clicks, but it didn't. In fact it didn't stop after 10. So I continued to 15, still going. At this point I decided to back it off 4 and leave it.

Has the previous owner fiddled it right off?

Is the shock broken?

What should I do now that I have no fuggin' idea what compression damping is set?

My static sag seems ok though and I haven't noticed it bottoming.

oh oh. I have some very bad news for you Nog.

I did exactly the same thing with mine a while back. Turned it all the way to the end to see where the limits of adjustment were. Then the thing would just unscrew itself.

If it is still clicking, you might have a different problem. Mine would click a couple of times and then unscrew itself. Completely unadjustable.

Bad news is that it wasn't repairable. My dealer got me another one on warranty.

This is the rear shock we are talking about, right?

Ryan

Guest Nogbad
oh oh.  I have some very bad news for you Nog.

I did exactly the same thing with mine a while back.  Turned it all the way to the end to see where the limits of adjustment were.  Then the thing would just unscrew itself.

If it is still clicking, you might have a different problem.  Mine would click a couple of times and then unscrew itself.  Completely unadjustable.

Bad news is that it wasn't repairable.  My dealer got me another one on warranty.

This is the rear shock we are talking about, right?

Ryan

58370[/snapback]

Yeah, rear shock, thumbwheel on the remote reservoir thingy. I didn't ever unscrew it, I attempted to screw it up to the end in the ->+ direction, but didn't find the end after 15 clicks. As it's only meant to have 7, I backed it off 4 and gave up.

However, I really need less compression damping its harsh harsh harsh.

If the shock is banjaxed, the bike will have to go. No way am I spending £500 on a new one.

However, I really need less compression damping its harsh harsh harsh.

58395[/snapback]

Even if your compression damping wheel was working, you would probably find that the shock has too much compression damping. That has been my experience, as well as others. Sadly, for improved rear-wheel control, the only solution is to replace it.

I set mine to 39 clicks out....and counted 40 clicks of adjustability.

So if you went in 15 clicks, just back it out till it stops, and then go in as many clicks as you want.

The owners manual recommend ten clicks out, which would be 30 clicks in.

I say 30 clicks out and ten clicks in is softer and better. I am pretty happy one click in and 39 out as I want as non-jarring a ride as I can get out of it.

Just because my dealer couldn't fix it (or at least thought it was easier as under warranty) doesn't mean it can't be fixed. I haven't taken one apart, but it seems though something is just stuck in the adjuster. I wouldn't know who to ask but there must be someone who services these things. It isn't as if the thing is wore out...

cheers,

Ryan

Guest Nogbad
I set mine to 39 clicks out....and counted 40 clicks of adjustability.

So if you went in 15 clicks, just back it out till it stops, and then go in as many clicks as you want.

The owners manual recommend ten clicks out, which would be 30 clicks in.

I say 30 clicks out and ten clicks in is softer and better. I am pretty happy one click in and 39 out as I want as non-jarring a ride as I can get out of it.

58404[/snapback]

But dl, the "Little Red Book" of the V11 he say the compression knob only have 10 clicks! Unless the book is just totally confusing. The rebound collar seems to have a range of 20 clicks. Mine is set 12 clicks out from fully clockwise.

Sigh. I'm going to have a another fiddle and just wind the bugger out till it stops or falls off. :luigi::unsure::huh2:

Guest Nogbad
I believe the "little red book of no knowledge"  is talking about the White Power shock that was installed earlier on.  the book just didn't get updated.  The Sachs shock does indeed have many more clicks.  I thought I remembered 20 but it might be 40...

Rj

58416[/snapback]

I am mighty relieved. After going 29 clicks out the thing stopped dead. I am now going 10 clicks in.

Hurrah! I can keep it a bit longer!