rear axle removal/lube

Guest ckamin

Another thing about bearings. While it is commonly thought that "sealed bearings" are sealed, they can and should be opened up to re-introduce fresh oil into them. The rubber end seal does come off undamaged if you are carefull with a slotted screwdriver. I've done it for years, even on new bearings. You would be surprised at the lack of grease in a new bearing.

Last Saturday I had a new tire installed onto my V11 wheel, and after I got it back, I made sure to repack the front bearings before installing the wheel back on the bike.

Ciao, Steve G.

Another thing about bearings. While it is commonly thought that "sealed bearings" are sealed, they can and should be opened up to re-introduce fresh oil into them. The rubber end seal does come off undamaged if you are carefull with a slotted screwdriver. I've done it for years, even on new bearings. You would be surprised at the lack of grease in a new bearing.

58612[/snapback]

Hi Steve,

I agree about the lack of lube.

But I have had trouble lifting the seal without damaging it.

Do you use the screw driver on the inner circumference or the outer circumference of the seal?

Damaging the inner is more critical, but the outer seems more difficult to get at.

A parts guy at my local auto-parts place recommended a grease needle to slide under the seal, but I found that damaged the seal and when I injected, it was quick to ooze back out, which meant I had to move it around the bearing damaging the seal more.

Also, when you mentioned both oil and grease. What do you use?

I found that the bearings seem to come with what appears to be a thick oil :huh2:

But I have just used thick lithium bearing grease.

I suppose it is all good, but it better to stick with one type of lube.