engine paint /warranty

bigbikerrick

My V 11 naked has the bubbling engine paint it still has a full year of factory warranty,which was transferred to me as I purchased it from the original owner. The original owner never got any warranty settlement from MG for the paint. My local dealer told me they think moto guzzi will only extend the settlement for the paint where they give you accessories or new cases to the original owner, Is that correct? or has anyone here that purchased a used Guzzi gotten the settlenent covered? I kind of got the feeling the dealer may be mistaken......... what do you guys think??

If the bike is still under warranty, I would think MG has to offer you new cases. But I'm no expert, so :2c:

I know that somewhere- buried in this forum- are the phone numbers for customer reps.

J

Guest bshpilot
My  V 11 naked has the bubbling engine paint it still has a full year of factory warranty,which was transferred to me as I purchased it from the original owner. The original owner never got any warranty settlement from MG for the paint. My local dealer told me they think moto guzzi will only extend the settlement for the paint where they give you accessories or new cases to the original owner, Is that correct? or has anyone here that purchased a used Guzzi gotten the settlenent covered? I kind of got the feeling the dealer may be mistaken......... what do you guys think??

58446[/snapback]

FILE YOUR CLAIM NOW ! and tell the dealer to do it.

I purchased my v11 2nd hand (425mi) w/ approx 18mo of warrenty

left...the warrenty transfered (thru no work of the previous owner OR

myself).

I filed my claim last august and the claim was almost immediately verified

and approved...its complicated but i got LUCKY and cases from another

claim became avail. to me...approx. 12months after my claim.

My local dealer opening admitted they were incapable of performing

the repair.

I hauled my bike to MPH in Houston & they performed a FLAWLESS

repair (even found other things wrong that the set-up dealer apparently

didnt "setup" properly)

the paint/case replacement / match is very very good & im glad i waited

for the parts and im completely happy w/ the work & communications

that MPH provided !

FILE YOUR CLAIM NOW ! and tell the dealer to do it.

I purchased my v11 2nd hand (425mi) w/ approx 18mo of warrenty

left...the warrenty transfered (thru no work of the previous owner OR

myself).

I filed my claim last august and the claim was almost immediately verified

and approved...its complicated but i got LUCKY and cases from another

claim became avail. to me...approx. 12months after my claim.

My local dealer opening admitted they were incapable of performing

the repair.

I hauled my bike to MPH in Houston & they performed a FLAWLESS

repair (even found other things wrong that the set-up dealer apparently

didnt "setup" properly)

the paint/case replacement / match is very very good & im glad i waited

for the parts and im completely happy w/ the work & communications

that MPH provided !

58480[/snapback]

Thank You sir that is good to know, my local dealer told me he thought the claim was only available to the original owner,obviously he is mistaken, Ive emailed Michelle at moto guzzi,and she said the claim could be submitted. she is a very helpful gal!

I've talked to a number of prople with bubbling issues and have heard some extreme opinions. Some have gotten their cases replaced and are happy while others say in retrospect they would have taken the trinkets simply because their bikes were down for a whole riding season.

I think it's a crapshoot. It would be nice if the swap could be scheduled 9 months in advance so it is done during the off season but we all know how well the Italians are at keeping schedules. I elected to do nothing. I started to put in a claim. I wanted another set of saddlebags. My bike already has the Hepco Becker mounts but HB bags was not one of the options I could pick for the LeMans. I would rather have nothing than those soft bags and that is what I got.

For what it's worth I did turn in two warranty claims on this bike, the shifter spring and the transmission gasket leak, and they were both handled very expediently but I was not going to put him through the grief of replacing the cases.

Guest bshpilot
I've talked to a number of prople with bubbling issues and have heard some extreme opinions. Some have gotten their cases replaced and are happy while others say in retrospect they would have taken the trinkets simply because their bikes were down for a whole riding season.

58524[/snapback]

I agree no one wants to be w/out...that said i was free to ride mine until

the parts came in & i suspect i could have scheduled the repair in

the "off season"...as it was my warrenty ran out in june or july & the

work wasnt performed until august.

I beleive once the warrenty claim is submitted & verified, it doesnt matter

when the work is performed (especially when you consider that it took

a YEAR to even recv' a replacement case).

MPH performed the work in about 4 or 6 days once i delivered the bike to

them.

I bought this bike new and expect my motorcycles to stay as close to new as possible within reason, excepting anything I might do to them either intentionally or not. The bubbling paint on the cases irritated me to no end, and there was no way I could let this otherwise beautiful bike look like that as long as I had other options, so I had the cases replaced under warranty. The dealer had my bike for a month, and fortunately I have a second bike to ride so I didn't miss it too much. The cases now look the way they're supposed to, and I (personally) can't imagine accepting any substitute. But that's just me.

• 2 months later...

Well...I find myself again contemplating the future of my engine cases. For anyone still waiting for their cases...keeping reading.

I've been in contact with Michelle at MGNA, as of today she says that MGNA has had zero luck in getting any status of new cases being produced. She was not confident what the future would hold for replacements. She presented me with a different option, MGNA will pay a dealer up to 12 hours labor to repaint your current cases but the customer will have to cover materials (ie..paint). Apparently 2 other V11 owners have had this done through MGNA.

Has anyone out there had any personal experience with repainting...either through the dealer or on your own? Since LA Yamaha is no longer a MG dealer.....I suppose I would go to Orange County...unfortunately can't use MG Classics....MGNA will only pay a current MG dealer. I wonder how a dealer would go about this repaint.....or what I should suggest to them....I don't think OC has a paint shop. I would hope they would remove the engine, sump, and strip (or bead blast) the old crap off. I'm guessing they would just tape up the jugs. Any suggestions for the prep and paint type so that this doesn't happen again in 2K miles? I know that the Harley engine paint is nice, but not sure if they can get it in anything but an aerosol if I get this out-sourced to a real paint shop.

I wouldn't care as much if my cases weren't pealing like crazy....it really looks like crap.

In my case it was indeed the last straw...oil leak from front cover, leaky steering damper,and last,Bubbonic plague hit my engine cases.... took the Guzzi offer for some bags ...to be installed on my new Guzzi I traded the LM in for , a 03 California EV... still miss that LM, though, and to remedy that, a Coppa Italia is in the works...hopefully the quality control has improved...Cheers

Well...I find myself again contemplating the future of my engine cases.  For anyone still waiting for their cases...keeping reading. 

I've been in contact with Michelle at MGNA, as of today she says that MGNA has had zero luck in getting any status of new cases being produced.  She was not confident what the future would hold for replacements.  She presented me with a different option, MGNA will pay a dealer up to 12 hours labor to repaint your current cases but the customer will have to cover materials (ie..paint).  Apparently 2 other V11 owners have had this done through MGNA. 

Has anyone out there had any personal experience with repainting...either through the dealer or on your own?  Since LA Yamaha is no longer a MG dealer.....I suppose I would go to Orange County...unfortunately can't use MG Classics....MGNA will only pay a current MG dealer.  I wonder how a dealer would go about this repaint.....or what I should suggest to them....I don't think OC has a paint shop.  I would hope they would remove the engine, sump, and strip (or bead blast) the old crap off.  I'm guessing they would just tape up the jugs.  Any suggestions for the prep and paint type so that this doesn't happen again in 2K miles?  I know that the Harley engine paint is nice, but not sure if they can get it in anything but an aerosol if I get this out-sourced to a real paint shop.

I wouldn't care as much if my cases weren't pealing like crazy....it really looks like crap.

65597[/snapback]

Hey My Friend, That sounds like a shitty offer on MGNA's part ,they will pay for a repaint, but YOU buy the paint! For chrissakes, its their piss poor paint that messed up! Why should you buy the paint? what I did on mine was take the settlement offer (carbon fiber kit) and remove the loose paint as it bubbles up with a small wire brush and touch it up with some satin black high heat engine paint. It doesnt look all that bad. Im sure mgna will have you sign a disclaimer as to the durability of the new paint YOU purchase, then their hands are washed clean of the whole mess... <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sleep.png" alt="-_-">

It's strange how MGNA reacts compared to how the warranty jobs were handled here in Denmark. When the engine paint on my Scura started to bubble I called my dealer here in Copenhagen who then got hold of the Scandinavian importer. They took immediate action and I had the engine cases blasted an repainted free of charge. (I had it done in the winter season when my wheels were hung up anyway)

I would never ever take, i.e. a pair of saddle bags or a tank bag as a freebie offer to shut up the customer. Luigi and his friends have FU'ed the engine paint and the company will have to correct this flaw. It's sad that they try to stall this process instead of taking corrective actions - as far as I remember nothing beats a happy customer but who am I to tell....

enough ranting, just got upset reading this thread.

Søren