spring question

bigbikerrick

Well, as the originator of this idea, I have to say I prefer stiff key action to the idea of my seat popping off if I hit a pothole too hard!  :D

Since the factory seems to have an aversion to getting their hands greasy and scrimps on the grease/oil/whathaveyou elsewhere, what makes you think that a quick shot of dry lube in the lock and cable lube on the seat-latch release cable & a dab of grease on the latch mechanism itself won't cure the "stiff key" problem you're experiencing & lead to seat & fast-idle co-operative bliss?

:grin:

What can I say that other's have not already? YMMV; if you don't like it, switch it back. I, for one, cannot conceive of going back to needing both hands to move the fast idle lever, & having to hold it in position while the engine warms up...  :bbblll: [Oh yeah, & always warm up air-cooled engines before trying to blast off; they'll last longer if you do...]

Ride on! Funny you should mention it, thats exactly what I did this afternoon,I was going to replace the spring with a pen spring, but I tried the lube first and all is well! Im almost positive that seat cable was dry as a bone! :race:

:mg:

58811[/snapback]

– and not just lube. Have guys with the awkward seat latch tried adjusting the mechanism?

With slight adjustment and normal application of lube I find that the seat latch works just fine. The fast idle lever also works. :huh2:

I can't believe that the factory fits seat lock springs to the handlebar controls and vice versa. :luigi::grin:

I'll bow to more knowledgeable :drink: comments, but I've always thought that it was better to move off as soon as possible after starting up, not let the bike sit at raised revs?

Do / didn't BMW, for example, fit devilish combinations of switches to side-stands etc so that the bikes couldn't be started and left to run/'warm-up' – they are/were meant to be started and ridden-off straight away? (I might have made that up, but lots of BM owners out there can keep me right on that.)

Guest Nogbad

You should set off straight away. Better for the engine and better for the environment. Just ride gently till the engine is warm.