Oil Leak

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

It seems as soon as the V11 realises she has recaptured my affections, I am betrayed.

There is oil leaking from what looks to be behind the alternator.

Is this a big job, and does it need any special tools?

Thanks folks!

behind the alternator.

58642[/snapback]

Do you mean coming out from the alternator cover, or from the case behind the cover? If the latter, it's not that pesky timing case gasket leak, is it?

Guest Nogbad
Do you mean coming out from the alternator cover, or from the case behind the cover? If the latter, it's not that pesky timing case gasket leak, is it?

58643[/snapback]

Behind the alternator itself. Looks like the timing chest front crankshaft seal.

By the way, Nogbad the Bad, talking of DVDs (as I did in another thread), I can't wait to get to get within hailing distance of a BBC shop, now that the 'Noggin the Nog' has been liberated from the archives. Marvelous...'original title'

"In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale..." mmmm...yum

Guest Nogbad
By the way, Nogbad the Bad, talking of DVDs (as I did in another thread), I can't wait to get to get within hailing distance of a BBC shop, now that the 'Noggin the Nog' has been liberated from the archives. Marvelous...'original title'

"In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale..." mmmm...yum

58658[/snapback]

That's all very well, but do I need anything special to liberate the alternator rotor and change this bleeding seal? 10200 miles and the friggin' engine is behaving like an old Brit.

That's all very well, but do I need anything special to liberate the alternator rotor and change this bleeding seal? 10200 miles and the friggin' engine is behaving like an old Brit.

58659[/snapback]

Do you have the Workshop Manual or Guzziology?

The Workshop Manual shows the special tool for holding the flywheel while undoing the rotor nut – though it does show it with the engine stripped and flywheel exposed. It doesn't mention the seal. Dave Richardson does mention the seal and talks about the technique for removing Saprisa or Bosch alternators. He doesn't go into any detail about removing the Ducati alternator, so maybe it is straightforward, as long as you can stop the crank from turning.

Guest Nogbad
Do you have the Workshop Manual or Guzziology?

The Workshop Manual shows the special tool for holding the flywheel while undoing the rotor nut – though it does show it with the engine stripped and flywheel exposed. It doesn't mention the seal. Dave Richardson does mention the seal and talks about the technique for removing Saprisa or Bosch alternators. He doesn't go into any detail about removing the Ducati alternator, so maybe it is straightforward, as long as you can stop the crank from turning.

58663[/snapback]

No, and no. Sounds complicated. I guess I'm gonna squirt it with Jizer, pressure wash the mess off and trade it in tomorrow for that Buell. Hell, for F**Ks sake, the bike is only 5 years old with 10K on the clock. The oil seals should last longer than that.

Why does an oil seal fail: 1. The finish on the shaft is crap. 2. It's a crap Chinese seal. 3. The shaft and seal housing are not concentric. 4. The seal was damaged on installation.

If it's 1 or 3, I may as well part ex the bike as any new seal will let go too.

If its 2 or 4, the rest of the bike has been put together badly with bad parts and I may as well part ex the bike.

Period. Decision made. That'll teach it.

Just leave it in gear- that holds the engine locked. Or put a wood brace through the rear wheel crossways and leave it in gear. No need for fancy lorry levers or spangled hammers.

Two lorry tyre levers and a sledgehammer. Gets anything off.

58665[/snapback]

Certainly does, used when removing my clutch basket from my Yamaha XJ550. Unfortuneatly I had to get a new one to put on afterwards. :(

I now have a clutch basket holding tool thingy. Which I got to remove the basket so I could get to the FJ's gearbox selector to reseat the spring on the quadrant.

That wasn't my most succesful bodge unlike ..... come to think of it I don't thing there has been any :D

It seems as soon as the V11 realises she has recaptured my affections, I am betrayed.

There is oil leaking from what looks to be behind the alternator.

Is this a big job, and does it need any special tools?

Thanks folks!

58642[/snapback]

I had that same seal go tits up on a rosso mandello I used to have at only 800 miles, the dealer replaced it in 20 minutes while I waited, removed the round cover in front, removed the nut with the bike in gear, the alternator/ rotor thingie popped right off, the seal was pried out with a hook tool, then the new one pressed right in with a little sealer around the edges, I was back on the road with a smile on my face again. I think one could replace that little seal themselves as long as you are careful not to scratch the shaft. Good luck, Rick.

Guest Nogbad
I had that same seal go tits up on a rosso mandello I used to have at only 800 miles, the dealer replaced it in 20 minutes while I waited, removed the round cover in front, removed the nut with the bike in gear, the alternator/ rotor thingie popped right off, the seal was pried out with a hook tool, then the new one pressed right in with a little sealer around the edges, I was back on the road  with a smile on my face again. I think one could replace that little seal themselves as long as you are careful not to scratch the shaft.  Good luck, Rick.

58686[/snapback]

Hmmm sounds like that could be worth a go then. I'll pick up a seal next week or order one from Motomecca.

Now I have to go pull the alternator cover off my Rosso Mandello :D I'm going to have the cover powder coated this fall anyway. That cover sure seems to catch all the pebbles & road grime. I have 7300 miles on mine now & its pretty nasty... Its lost most of the original paint. I can get it powder coated at work for free though. I can get any color I want too, as long as I want grey.