Craftsman jack to lift V11

bigbikerrick

I want to lift my v 11 to check the rear end ,splines ,etc for lubrication. I dont have an ABBA jack, but I DO have a Craftsman motorcycle /atv lift that I have used for years on my japanese cruisers, has anyone been able to use such a lift succesfully on the V11? any modifications or rigging up that might help hold the Guzzi safely? Thanks :cheese:

I use a couple of split 2x4s (one and half by one and three quarters)between the oil pan edge and the lift.

I have to be careful not to put pressure on the oil line coming out of the pan.

A metal frame to fit the pan would be more ideal, but the two pieces of wood work nicely because I can slide the lift under when the bike is on the kickstand, put one piece of wood on the lift, lean the bike against it, put the other piece on, and balance the bike between them while jacking it up.

It is a little precarious and I could use a better solution.

I then use a couple of jack stands to lift it at the pork chops, but they are not very stable.

What I want is a wheel chock embedded in my garage floor so I can tie down the front wheel. It could be good for security too.

....pending wife's approval.

I use a couple of split 2x4s (one and half by one and three quarters)between the oil pan edge and the lift.

I have to be careful not to put pressure on the oil line coming out of the pan.

A metal frame to fit the pan would be more ideal, but the two pieces of wood work nicely because I can slide the lift under when the bike is on the kickstand, put one piece of wood on the lift, lean the bike against it, put the other piece on, and balance the bike between them while jacking it up.

It is a little precarious and I could use a better solution.

I then use a  couple of jack stands to lift it at the pork chops, but they are not very stable.

What I want is a wheel chock embedded in my garage floor so I can tie down the front wheel. It could be good for security too.

....pending wife's approval.

58814[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply, after you lift the bike with the 2x4's and put the jackstands under the pork chops, do you remove the hydraulic lift, or leave it in place? by "under the porkchops" ,you mean the bolts sticking out from the chops, or the bottom edge of the chops themselves? Thanks a bunch! :D

I DO have a Craftsman motorcycle /atv lift that I have used for years on my japanese cruisers, has anyone been able to use such a lift succesfully on the V11? any modifications or rigging up that might help hold the Guzzi safely?

You can get the v11 bracket from these people. It works on the Craftsman lift. You have to drill 1 hole or elongate the original hole depending on where you mount it.

http://www.dunwelllifts.com/Pricing_Accessories.html

Guest ckamin

Ok, since I already have the Craftsman lift for my Harley, I went to the Dunwell lift webpage and saw the attachment/lift accessory for the V11. How does this work?

Thanks!

-Carl

You can get the v11 bracket from these people. It works on the Craftsman lift. You have to drill 1 hole or elongate the original hole depending on where you mount it.

http://www.dunwelllifts.com/Pricing_Accessories.html

58819[/snapback]

Thanks for the link, Tex. I guess those lifting points hold the bolts on the pork chop, looks like a neat accessory $60 bux is a bargain too !

It works like this:

V11SportStand.gif

The one for a California looks like this:

CaliforniaStand.gif

If you'd like a different approach, try a pair of Pitbull stands:

PitBullStand.gif

The Dunwell V11 Sport adaptor is the only one that I've been able to use successfully to remove the sideplates without major surgery on the bike.

Thanks for the reply, after you lift the bike with the 2x4's and put the jackstands under the pork chops, do you remove the hydraulic lift, or leave it in place? by "under the porkchops"  ,you mean the bolts sticking out from the chops, or the bottom edge of the chops themselves? Thanks a bunch! :D

58816[/snapback]

I never got it stable enough on the porkchops to remove the lift.

One thing to be careful of is losing hydraulic pressure. ie. put bike on lift, go to lunch, come back and see shattered dreams on the floor.

PS thanx guys for the informative Dunwell bracket posts!

David, the Craftsman lift has several slots that allow you to lower the jack & lock it in place & release the pressure on the ram .

58845[/snapback]

So far, all of these ATV type hydraulic lifts that I've seen have a bail that is used to engage some dogs in the lower lift frame allowing the lift to be locked at various heights. This is so much of a safety issue with hydraulic lifts that I doubt they're even sold without that safety bail. I've literally had bikes up on these lifts for months. Allthough I've tied the bikes down for really intensive operations I don't generally secure the bike for everyday use. I move the bikes around quite easily on the lifts and as long as I don't make sudden and strong motions there is little likelyhood that a bike will topple.

Plus, there are no earthquakes in Oklahoma. :rasta:

It works like this:

V11SportStand.gif

The one for a California looks like this:

CaliforniaStand.gif

If you'd like a different approach, try a pair of Pitbull stands:

PitBullStand.gif

The Dunwell V11 Sport adaptor is the only one that I've been able to use successfully to remove the sideplates without major surgery on the bike.

58834[/snapback]

Thanks Carl, very informative pictures you posted, I appreciate it.Rick..

David, the Craftsman lift has several slots that allow you to lower the jack & lock it in place & release the pressure on the ram .

58845[/snapback]

I have an off brand name one that looks identical to Carl's Red Unit.

It has a kind of spring loaded ratchet that I do not trust, although it did save my bike. :doh:

I suppose I should lower it into the ratcheted position. :D

Callison,

I much admire the road rash on the centre stand on your California. Very well done, it's good to see men getting their monies worth out of the tires.

Ciao, Steve G.

58875[/snapback]

:bike: My wife and I went along for a ride up into the Sierras two years ago with a group out of a local BMW shop. Her first long ride. We made a really good pace up Hwy 49 to Maricopa, California. The Guzzi surprised the BMW and sport riders quite a bit as we never dropped below middle of the pack. The centerstand would grind along for most of a sharp curve (I wouldn't back off). When we got to Maricopa, my wife asked if that dragging was normal. "Why certainly my dear - perfectly normal". Two years later I told her the truth. I had an ulterior motive though. I told her the California was not a sufficient two-up bike and that it should be replaced by a Breva 1100. :mg:

Ok, since I already have the Craftsman lift for my Harley, I went to the Dunwell lift webpage and saw the attachment/lift accessory for the V11. How does this work?

Thanks!

-Carl

58822[/snapback]

Works like a charm.