Considering Ballabio as 1st Ride

Guest Sofia

While it could be done I would secound a dual sport bike to begine with things like the verable DR650, KLR etc etc. The Guzzi is a pretty docile machine and the newer ones are a lot easier to ride than the older ones but there is definatly a technique to them and they a quiet capable of been shooved into a spot they can't quiet get out of.

Quite??? :huh:

It's heavy. Unless you're built like, & have latent riding skills same as those honed thru years of experience by, Martin 'Adonis' Barrett I think a lighter, more manageable & less quirky bike would be easier to learn on. Having said that the power characteristics of a Guzzi motor are great for a first timer. What about the Guzzi Breva (750 or 1100) - more manageable, or the first model Suzuki sv650 was a good looking V twin.

KB :sun:

59119[/snapback]

NO,NO, Sofia...not a Ballabio.

I've owned one for just over a year & done 12000km on it.

I love the look, I love the engine, I love the riding position & the comfort.

There is, however, one almighty negative to this bike... it's handling...especially on any road that's not billiard table smooth...it's like trying to hang on  to a greasy pig on an ice rink.

I've tried the full range of suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyres,damper settings &  fork height....it's now a lot better than "factory" but still a handful.

This bike would be terribly unforgiving of an inexperienced rider who overcooked a corner or got the line wrong on a bend on ripply tarmac.

Get something lighter & nimbler before it all ends in tears.

Miles Long...

fully expecting to be flamed by the faithful, but I type with my hand on my heart on this one...

59569[/snapback]

KB is dead on. I would've recommended the same 2 bikes. (actually, I might also suggest a low cc Ducati monster, either 620 or 800, if you're addicted to Italian iron). And Miles is quite right too.......it's an interesting handler, and not for the novice. You must have the experience of riding many miles to know what tires and shocks and chassis can do, because the V11 will contribute very little confidence itself.