Redline gear lube question

bigbikerrick

A member posted that his gearbox leak stopped by using redline shockproof heavy gear lube. I will try anything before having to tear the gearbox apart or taking it to the dealer. But I heard that some of the gearboxes have plastic bearing cages that disintegrate with synthetic oil. Im currently running 80-90wt dino lube. I assume the redline is a synthetic, does my 2002 v 11 have those plastic bearing cages?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a myth that synthetic can damage bearings and seals. Just put it in, although I am dubious that changing the grade of oil would cure the leak. Thicker oil will still leak out, just more slowly.

I have to warn you though, that starting an oil thread on here is likely to get you punished.

Rick, it wouldn't hurt to try Redline. Some posters hold it in very high regard, who knows, it may contain the mystical and magical properties necessary to solve your problem. A lot of us are already using synthetic oil in both the gearbox and bevel box.

Rob

Would agree that putting in a heavier grade oil or additive "slows" down the leak. I have been using a % of Moreys oil additive on my 2002 LeMans. The gearbox does not leak when the bike is being used fairly regularly and only loses a smear when not. I might try Redline. Do you use it as a % with the recommended oil or straight

Allan

Guest ratchethack

Use it straight. Shockproof HEAVY is the correct Redline lube for Guzzi trans and bevel box - it's the one recommended by Redline specifically for Guzzis (I spoke with a RL Tech about this personally). I'd also expect that depending on what was leaking out in the first place, (assuming proper levels in each case) it could either slow down or exacerbate a leak. Roger the myth about synthetic eating bearing cages and seals. It's BS. <_<

Although my leak did stop when I changed to RedLine oil, I am not convinced that it wasn't just a result of changing the level and thereby ceasing to blow it overboard through the breather. Fill it ONLY to the middle of the sight-glass, when the bike is UPRIGHT.

The original oil was quite thin and clear so tracking the source of the oil was impossible for me to do with any certainty. The good news is that you will see the red staining of this oil wherever it leaks from.

Fortunately, I haven't seen any.

Redline Shockproof Heavy - improved (smoother action) gear change & no more oil leak from box (which it had done from new, pos from back plate or side plate collecting on xover).

I also spoke to Redline tech (UK). Rec'd the Shockproof Heavy.

Nogbad - you can get it mailorder from

Or Redline will give you a local distributor - email:

Some people have suggested that heavy oil can wreck bearings by causing balls to skid in races. I dunno - I meant to ask Red line about this but haven't got round to it.

KB :sun:

Some people have suggested that heavy oil can wreck bearings by causing balls to skid in races. I dunno - I meant to ask Red line about this but haven't got round to it.

KB :sun:

59454[/snapback]

That was me in point of fact, but it's dependent on the oil characteristics, the bearing type and the shaft speed in combination, and it may not be a problem anywhere in a Guzzi tranny. It is a particular problem with oils containing EP additives for high shear applications such as hypoid gears. (That is a crownwheel and pinion set up where the pinion centerline is offset from radius of the crownwheel. Used to be very common in cars with live axles)

Let me know what they say if you ask them.

That was me in point of fact, but it's dependent on the oil characteristics, the bearing type and the shaft speed in combination, and it may not be a problem anywhere in a Guzzi tranny. It is a particular problem with oils containing EP additives for high shear applications such as hypoid gears. (That is a crownwheel and pinion set up where the pinion centerline is offset from radius of the crownwheel. Used to be very common in cars with live axles)

59458[/snapback]

Redline makes a number of different products for various applications. Redline MT-90 is formulated to be used in manual transmissions and therefore uses friction modifiers that won't interfere with proper synchro engagement. Heavy Shockproof gear oil should be used in the bevel drive as it is formulated for applications that experiance heavy shock loading . I use both products in the V11. Mike

59458[/snapback]

Redline makes a number of different products for various applications. Redline MT-90 is formulated to be used in manual transmissions and therefore uses friction modifiers that won't interfere with proper synchro engagement. Heavy Shockproof gear oil should be used in the bevel drive as it is formulated for applications that experiance heavy shock loading . I use both products in the V11. Mike

Redline makes a number of different products for various applications. Redline MT-90 is formulated to be used in manual transmissions and therefore uses friction modifiers that won't interfere with proper synchro  engagement. Heavy Shockproof gear oil should be used in the bevel drive as it is formulated for applications that experiance heavy shock loading . I use both products in the V11.  Mike

59483[/snapback]

So, Mike are you saying that the shockproof heavy should be used only in the rear end ,and NOT in the tranny?

Guest ratchethack

RL Shockproof Heavy is correct for both the Guzzi trans and bevel box. The Guzzi trans, as with virtually all motorcycle transmissions, is a constant-mesh design. Constant-mesh transmissions have no synchro rings in 'em. RL MTL products are specifically formulated for synchromesh transmissions. If I remember right, synchro rings are made out of some kind of brass alloy. They evidently benefit from special stuff to retard wear.

If Mike put Redline MT-90 in his Guzzi trans, I doubt it'd hurt anything, but it ain't the best choice IMHO, and it wouldn't be the product RL recommends for the Guzzi trans. RL now offers 5 synchromesh transmission products, one of which is MT-90. I've run RL MTL in 2 car transmissions for many hundreds of thou miles for over 20 years, since back when as far as I can remember, there was only one general purpose product available from RL for synchromesh transmissions, MTL. I can't say enough about the stuff, but I wouldn't consider using it in the Guz, simply because there are alternatives with a closer match to the application. :luigi:

And just to clarify two points(one already made):

1) The V11 6-speed does not have the plastic(nylon?) bearing cage that was problematic on some previous models.

2) Many issues with leaking transmissions are directly due to overfilling, so always check this point first.

al

The stuff for syncromesh trannies is formulated to have the proper amount of friction to work correctly with synchro's which are usually made of brass and are very common in automotive transmissions. Motorcycle gearboxes (all the ones that I've worked on at least) are constant mesh and don't have any synchro's. They do have sliding and non-sliding gears, dogs, shift forks and some sort of shift drum, cam plate, etc. It would be my educated guess that most cycle trannies would benefit from the use of RL Heavy Shock-proof type gear oil. It wouldn't be the hot ticket for the T-5 trannie in my Mustang however because of the friction thang.