Frame Of Bike And Oil System Venting

Guest MikeC

When I park the bike after a long ride I will find one to two drops of oil on the ground left side of bike. I see it's drips off the end of the bar that connects the throttle bodies which runs the width of the bike and directly under where the frame ends. I find the area just below where the frame ends is oily and it looks to be open.

Does the oil system vent into the upper part of the frame? There is a hose at the very top in front of the tank that is clearly visible that looks to be venting something and the hose from the back of the oil sump pan runs into the side of the frame as well just above from where I'm saying the frame ends.

I guess my questions are. Does the oil system vent into the frame. Is that low rear part of the upper frame open and allows the condensed oil to collect below it which is why I see oil there and it's collecting on the bar and running down to the end when the bike is on the side stand. Is this all common and normal to the V11.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Mike, I assume the bike in question is your Sport. In answer:

1. Yes, the crankcase oil breather vents into the frame through the hose that starts at the top of the engine case in front of the clutch housing and runs up underneath the steering head. The frame acts as a condenser and returns oil to the rear of the sump via the banjo union at the "scavenging pipe" on the LHS of the frame.

2. Yes. (see above)

3. No. The lowest part of the "spine" frame terminates at a horizontal cylindrical crosspiece that is bolted to the "porkchops". It is NOT open.

4. Yep, leakage from the decomposing cheapo factory hose is common. You need higher-grade, more heat-resistant hose in place of the cheap stuff. Bulk hose of the proper grade and diameter is readily available, and there are a few custom-molded hoses from non-Guzzi sources that will also be more durable than OEM.

It's possible that you have a leak at the banjo union that's migrating back to the area you're describing at the end of the spine. I had this one time and solved it by torquing down the bolt at the banjo union.

You can do searches here for the better-than-stock sources for breather hose replacement. :luigi:

Mike, I assume the bike in question is your Sport.  In answer:

1. Yes, the crankcase oil breather vents into the frame through the hose that starts at the top of the engine case in front of the clutch housing and runs up underneath the steering head.  The frame acts as a condenser and returns oil to the rear of the sump via the banjo union at the "scavenging pipe" on the LHS of the frame.

2. Yes. (see above)

3. No.  The lowest part of the "spine" frame terminates at a horizontal cylindrical crosspiece that is bolted to the "porkchops".  It is NOT open.

4.  Yep, leakage from the decomposing cheapo factory hose is common.  You need higher-grade, more heat-resistant hose in place of the cheap stuff.  Bulk hose of the proper grade and diameter is readily available, and there are a few custom-molded hoses from non-Guzzi sources that will also be more durable than OEM.

It's possible that you have a leak at the banjo union that's migrating back to the area you're describing at the end of the spine.  I had this one time and solved it by torquing down the bolt at the banjo union.

You can do searches here for the better-than-stock sources for breather hose replacement. :luigi:

59984[/snapback]

Yep the V11.

The rubber vent hose is new. I replaced it with a OEM hose I got from MPH. That shouldn't be a problem.

The place where I see oil is only an inch or so behind and above the rubber breather hose where it's clamped to the engine. The frame section I was referring to and probably described wrong, ends in a square plate with two 1/4" holes on the bottom and comes down on an angle. It ends just above and behind where the rubber breather hose clamps to the engine.

Looks clean by the banjo union which if I understand you correctly is the hose which goes to the rear of the sump.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Hmmmmmmm......I just went out to take a gander at my bike to see if I can un-puzzle this. The vertical "plate" welded to the frame that runs crossways and points down with the 2 holes is the attachment point for the mysterious and elusive "piastra colleg" that ties the frame to the engine. You don't have the piastra colleg itself because it was discontinued in prior years. If you do a search you can find discussion and a nice shot of this thing. Unless you've got a void in a weld on the spine frame where condensed oil is leaking out, I'm fresh out of ideas on the source of that leak if it's origin seems to be near this. :huh2:

Yep the V11.

The rubber vent hose is new.  I replaced it with a OEM hose I got from MPH.  That shouldn't be a problem.

The place where I see oil is only an inch or so behind and above the rubber breather hose where it's clamped to the engine.  The frame section I was referring to and probably described wrong, ends in a square plate with two 1/4" holes on the bottom and comes down on an angle.  It ends just above and behind where the rubber breather hose clamps to the engine.

Looks clean by the banjo union which if I understand you correctly is the hose which goes to the rear of the sump.

Thanks,

Mike

60005[/snapback]

Mike, I found oily residue at both top and bottom frame vent banjo bolts on my bike and here's how I fixed it-

I removed one of the banjo bolts and fitting to find the frame surface under it painted and rough so I inserted a small piece of paper toweling into the vent hole then carefully sanded (backed with a flat piece of plastic) that mounting surface down to smooth, flat metal. Then dabbed some anti-sieze on the mounting bolt threads and torqued it down. I repeated this on the other banjo bolt fitting and presto, no leaks after 2000 miles.

Cautionary notes before I get called down here- don't loose the paper toweling into the frame. And as you remove it, "unscrew it" to prevent any sanding dust from getting into those holes. In fact, I used a Shop Vac to prevent that possibility before removing the paper towel. Also be sure the two crush washers are in place at install.

Hmmmmmmm......I just went out to take a gander at my bike to see if I can un-puzzle this.  The vertical "plate" welded to the frame that runs crossways and points down with the 2 holes is the attachment point for the mysterious and elusive "piastra colleg" that ties the frame to the engine.  You don't have the piastra colleg itself because it was discontinued in prior years.  If you do a search you can find discussion and a nice shot of this thing.  Unless you've got a void in a weld on the spine frame where condensed oil is leaking out, I'm fresh out of ideas on the source of that leak if it's origin seems to be near this. :huh2:

60008[/snapback]

I did a search and I have the tang but not the bracket. That is where i'm finding the oily residue, right below where the plate would mount to the frame, the two 1/4" holes I mentioned are on the the tang.

BTW what does "piastra colleg" translate to in English?

Mike

Man, I hope so- the first thing popped into my head was 'pasta colostomy' and that ain't good.

60060[/snapback]

Hmm, reminds me of the time I had a vasectomy under local anaesthetic. The surgeon showed me the sections of extracted tube and they looked just like that tiny macaroni........