What goes down first?

Guest Nogbad

:notworthy:  :thumbsup:  :notworthy:

truly impressive.  How old are you two? I need some of what you're drinkin'  :grin:

60496[/snapback]

It's got nothing to do with age. It's strictly confidence in your tires, and, just like Freddie Spencer says in his schools, "smooth application of operation input". While it helps to know the road where you might do such 'damage', most of the 'damage' done to my bike was soon after I bought it, where I used it to go down to an AMA race at Sears Point in 2003. I was riding with fellows who had a distinct advantage in power output, so I was basically forced to make time in the corners through speed preservation, something I'm used to doing as most of my bikes are of the low hp output.

I should note that this kind of damage to my bikes bothers me, as I tend to keep my machines cosmetically quite neat and tidy. I wish it didn't happen, and I wish I'd thought of the great idea of cutting the sidestand stopper rubber down, this would have maybe prevented my side stand getting all buggered up.

BTW, I'm 47, been riding since I was 4, and had my bike license at 16, before my car license. I'm not going through the change of life as some non motorcycle versed people think, it's just that I've never grown up. Never will, dammit!

Ciao, Steve G.

:notworthy:  :thumbsup:  :notworthy:

truly impressive.  How old are you two? I need some of what you're drinkin'  :grin:

60496[/snapback]

Don't know about Steve G but I like the theory that growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Alright... I'm 53.

I scraped the Guzzi on a track day. I don't ride that way on the road... honest! :grin:

Drinking? I prefer Guinness. :bier:

Guest jedione68
I think it depends on a few things such as how much you weigh, springs, fork spacers, where the fork is set in the triples, etc.  Also, I think the stock mufflers touch down first, at least on the right, but if you've gone to shorter, slimmer aftermarket cans, I think the pegs drag first?  I haven't yet dragged pegs, but on the left, I used to scratch my sidestand enough to grind off considerable metal until I followed a tip here from Mike and trimmed down the rubber sidestand stop by half.  This made a big difference - haven't touched it down since. :race:

60443[/snapback]

Rachethack,

First off, thanks for all your previous advice. My v11 came out beautiful, thanks.

On grinding. With my old set-up/stock v11 (4.5 rim w/170) I'd grind my kick-stand

and both right and left pipes coming out of the cross over and up to the slip-ons.

That was with my Mistrals cross over and cans. And I way about 175lbs.

Post tear down and during the rebirth of Bee Bop. I lowered the forks 3/8 of an

inch (thanks Todd), went to a Lemans wider rear rim and 180 tire, picked up a Quad-D box muffler (Ghezzi-Brian) and ground off about 1/2 an inch off the kickstand and cut the rubber stopper in half as well. And added Buell foot pegs for more leg room.

Went for a ride the other day with some buddies (CBR1000RR, 900 Monster and

a 749S). Late in the ride, going up some second gear twisties with the CBR in tow

I managed to hit, kind of gave me a bump out, but nothing crazy. Later when we stoped for a rest, I checked it out, thinking for sure it was the Buell pegs.

But no, I managed to grind about another 3/8 off my kickstand. Simply knowing this due to the fact that I had the kickstand "powder-coated" Black with everthing else and now had fresh raw metal to look at. Not really looking for an answer (maybe I'll raise the rear ride hight). Just thought I'd let ya know. And its my personell feeling that there's only two ways to grind those pegs;

1. On the TRACK at your favorite corner.

2. CRASHING, on lets say your least favorite... does it matter.

Again, love following your veiws and humor. Thanks.

Peace and rubber side down.

JEDIONE68

post-1881-1127108348.jpg

Bah! - bunch of pussies - the Tenni they raced on the Island few years back was dragging it's sump.... :o

KB :sun:

60688[/snapback]

We won't go there! I've ridden the island. You've got to be on the edge, and hot one of it's lovely bone crushing bumps at speed.

Ciao, Steve G.

Bah! - bunch of pussies - the Tenni they raced on the Island few years back was dragging it's sump.... :o

KB :sun:

60688[/snapback]

We won't go there! I've ridden the island. You've got to be on the edge, and hot one of it's lovely bone crushing bumps at speed.

Ciao, Steve G.