Power commander question

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

Do the same Power Commanders work for all the v11 model years? ie. will one for an 02 work for an 03 bike? What is the 'proper' model # for an 03 lemans?

thanks

Good question.

A similar question was asked in this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2964

But the answer was never disclosed.

I say buy Wayne Macdonald's tuneboy or Cliff' Jeffries My15M ECU.

Those Aussies are awesome for going through so much trouble for a bike that will yield small profits. And I don't think they will have any problem disclosing that their product will work for all model V11S, V11Lemans, cafe, tenni, scura, rosso, etc....but excluding Breva, Griso, MGS01, etc.

Either that or contact Todd Eagan at Guzzitech as he seems to be the only one who can answer whether or not the same PCIII can work across all years.

But from your question, it reads like you may be looking to buy one second hand.

I don't think there is a difference between a 2002 and 2003, especially if your 2003 does not have the oxygen sensor. But Todd would know for sure...and possibly the people he contacted offline.

There is no difference between 1999, 2000 and 2001.

Another option:

Contact Dyno Jet at www.powercommander.com or (800) 992-4993

You will probably get someone who knows or who can find out for you.

There tech support is pretty good.

I had mine repaired after the warranty had expired and it only cost me shipping....apparently because it was easy to repair.

The units are the same for all years of V11 sports. The 15M ecu has not changed. Only the maps will be slightly different for the later bikes with the front crossover.

The map that comes with the Power Commander will be a big improvement over stock. Contact Todd for a map that will be even better.

Or if you want perfection, have a custom map built on the dyno.

John

I was considering a dyno session for my '02 LeMans, but I'm wondering now if they can completely compensate for that pesky lean mid-range. I've added an FBF intake kit, X-pipe and Staintunes. I had Todd provide me with a map based on similar mods when I bought the PCIIIusb. The bike ran too lean and was spitting, coughing and backfiring. I had a dealer "tweak" it, but the bike still runs like crap between 3500-4000 RPM. Now I'm seriously considering the My15M.

1) Check your valve-lash, and make sure it is at Raceco or "world" specs, that will help across the board

2) Balance your Throttle Bodies

3) If possible, have a custom map made for the bike at a certified DynoJet center THEN send the map to Todd Eagan for one last bit of tweaking.

After that, it should run fine!

al

How much looser are the world spec settings? The slight decrease in duration and lift along with slight increase of overlap really makes that much difference? I balanced the TB's with a TwinMax unit and they're spot on from idle pretty much all the way up to 5K. I didn't rev it higher than that while checking. I live fairly close to an approved DynoJet facility so I might still go for the dyno tune before I spring for the My15M. My current map was "modded" with arbitrary guesswork. My Staintunes are all sooty at the back, my mileage is about 28 MPG and the bike still leans out around 3500-4000 RPM.

I live fairly close to an approved DynoJet facility so I might still go for the dyno tune before I spring for the My15M.

That would be a waste of money. There would be little of the dyno session to carry forward.

You would probably find that My15M solves all your issues and you don't bother with a dyno tune. Not sure how many of MyECU users have actually done the dyno. It would be a small %. Probably less than 20%. Most talk about it beforehand.

Well Cliff, you might still be hearing from me soon. If I won't need a dyno tune with the My15M, will I be needing the Optimizer? I'm not being sarcastic either, I just want to get this Guzzi to run like it should.

60911[/snapback]

I disagree with Cliff that you can rely on closed loop operation via an O2 sensor to properly tune the maps. Rather than buying another ECU which still ultimately needs optimization on a proper eddy current brake equipped with a 4 gas EGA, I recommend tuning the existing ECU via TuneBoy or TechnoResearch software.

Regards,

Derek

banner_motolab_general.gif