Questions from the Guzzi-impared!!!

Guest AdamofKC

Guest AdamofKC

Hello all,

My name is Adam, and although I have only been riding for about 4 months now, I realize that my bike isn't cutting it for longer highway riding. I ride a Kymco Venox 250, and although it is fantastic for cruising around in the city, it is a struggle for me to do longer highway trips.

Also, since I'm going to CMSU for my bachelors as a professional pilot within a year, I'm going to need something bigger. I have considered two different bikes, the 2003-2004 V11 Le Mans or a BMW R or K bike. Both bikes have what I need when it comes to neccessities. Shaft drive, optional heated grips, good wind protection, 80+ hp and a somewhat nearby, friendly dealership.

I went to Jackson Cycles in St. Joseph to look at the bikes they have. I liked two of them there, a black 1997 V11 Sport and a 2003 V11 Le Mans. But my main questions are these.

Why should I choose Moto Guzzi over BMW?

-and-

What are the benefits of owning a Moto Guzzi?

Now for the V11 questions...

Are insurance rates reasonable for this bike?

Since I want to try and save some money at the pump too, is gas mileage reasonable as well? Hopefully 45+ when casually cruising.

Is maintenance relatively painless for this bike?

and finally...

will this bike cost me more to keep in the long run or is it built to take a beating a keep on ticking?

I know this post is long, you all have probably heard these questions before and are tired of the newbies asking somewhat dumb questions like these, but I would greatly appreciate any and all information you may have for these questions.

thanks!

AdamofKC

Adam,

Test ride both on as long a trip as you can. Then you'll know. Bikes are an emotional purchase, so get the one that will be emotionally more satisfying.

Ace Mallot works at Jackson's- he's also the club represetative for the MoKan area:

http://www.mo-kanguzziclub.com/

He's a good mechanic from what I hear.

Oh- why get a Guzzi? All the cool people are doing it. You DO want to be cool, don't you?

seriously- what db said. Do a couple searches and you'll find the info you need.

J

. . . I know this post is long, you all have probably heard these questions before and are tired of the newbies asking somewhat dumb questions like these, but I would greatly appreciate any and all information you may have for these questions.

thanks!

AdamofKC

61315[/snapback]

You had to know it was coming Adam (ie. "do a search") as if you didn't know that was an option! :rasta: . . . Being a newbie myself to MotoGuzzis and this forum, I haven't read all the archives either, so I'll give you a fresh answer.

Italian or German?

Sexy or prudish?

Exclusive or common?

Exciting or blasé?

Sporty or sedate?

You get the idea. One thing I have learned while following this forum for a month or two . . . V11's are easy to work on, and there is a plethora of information on this site to do just about anything you want. I bought my '03 LeMans at the advice of a knowledgeable '02 LeMans owner who said most all of the bugs had been worked out by the time the '03 models came out. By sticking with an '03 or newer, most people on here say it is just "plug and play."

Adam,

What the others said (about searches). While not the Beemer you mentioned, you might get some insight from the Ballabio-Rockster compo of sometime back, too. It's also in the archives.

I commute on one of my Guzzis almost every day, but this really isn't about transportation; it's about joy. So, my advice in all of these lovelorn columns is that one of those motorcycles calls to you more than the other. Buy it.

Best wishes in your aviation career. Fly well; I may be behind you in coach. :D

Bill

Guest AdamofKC

But what I really want to know is if Moto Guzzi's are reliable. Granted, Ace, the mechanic at Jackson Cycles, has told me of his good fortune, but I want to know also how reliable your Guzzi's are.

The thought which makes me think in these potenitally heretical thoughts has to do with he age of the engine design. I believe Ace told me that the engine design is based off one from the 60's? Does this mean the engine is tried and true? Are guzzi's pretty much bullet-proof, mechanically?

Are these bikes electrically reliable? I know that older Ducati's suffered from unreliable electronics, and the same for old Triumphs. Did this problem carry over the Moto Guzzi?

I do feel that I might get a V11 Le Mans, or a '97 V11 Sport. Oh gosh... that bike is just so freakin' SEXY in black!

Anyway, thanks for your input, and Bill, thanks for your confidence in my future career :D

:bier: heh, what a great emote from a future pilot, lol

Why should I choose Moto Guzzi over BMW?

61315[/snapback]

Because Beemers are comparatively BORRRRRING.

-and-

What are the benefits of owning a Moto Guzzi?

61315[/snapback]

It provides unquatifiable satisfaction in more ways than most any other bike.

Now for the V11 questions...

Are insurance rates reasonable for this bike?

Since I want to try and save some money at the pump too, is gas mileage reasonable as well?  Hopefully 45+ when casually cruising.

Is maintenance relatively painless for this bike?

and finally...

will this bike cost me more to keep in the long run or is it built to take a beating a keep on ticking?

Insurance is very reasonable.

Gas mileage varies by bike or rider from ~25 to ~50 MPG(US)

I average about 35MPG....and I bet that is about the median or average, or something like that.

Maintainance is hard to define.

Some have had lemons and some Energizer® Bunnies.

Generally there are some known bugs that would lead me to define the bike as more problematic than average. The bugs need to be gotten rid of, but the good news is that they can be gotten rid of, and once the bugs are gone, the reliability is above average, and the durability well above average.

I would guess the First thirty three and a third thousand miles will cost you more than a Honda or BMW, the Second thirty three and a third thousand will be cheaper than the Honda, but more expensive than the BMW, and the Third thirty three and a third thousand miles will cost about the same as the BMW.

...but I am only guessing and humblelily opinionatin'.

It is a more enjoyable bike to work on than a Beemer, and far more enjoyable to work on than a Honda....Too bad mechanics don't charge accordingly. :luigi:

I believe Ace told me that the engine design is based off one from the 60's?  Does this mean the engine is tried and true?  Are guzzi's pretty much bullet-proof, mechanically?

61484[/snapback]

Oh, man you're going to get Pete Roper started now. Yes, the design is very similar to the engine which debuted in 1967. The engine itself is fairly bulletproof unless the bean-counters substituted a crappy part for the proper one (there's been issues with soft valves for instance).

Bulletproof...hmmmm....I've got almost 400,000 miles out of one of my Guzzis. Top end needed some work, the ujoint was toasted. I couldn't see any wear on the main bearings. How's that?

Guzzis require periodic maintenance and/or attention. Give them that, and they are stone-axe reliable.

:bier:  heh, what a great emote from a future pilot, lol

let me know what airline you get a job with :!: