Stucchi x-over

Guest rollingthunder

Guest rollingthunder

I've just bought a Stucchi crossover, after dropping my bambino and snapping one of the outlet pipes clean off :homer: Closer examination showed numerous cracks at all four corners, so I decided to get a replacement.

Having taken delivery yesterday, I'm amazed that the Stucchi item appears to be made of mild steel, not stainless!

Two questions arise now - firstly, will the meeting of stainless steel (Mistral cans) and mild steel (crossover) cause an electrolytic reaction/corrosion? Secondly, can anyone recommend a good quality exhaust paint? :luigi: I'm thinking of POR-20 or POR-15 Black Velvet.

Many thanks,

I'd use one of the performance coatings like Jet Hot or HRC applies. I've never used an exhaust paint that was good for the long haul.

If you decide to go that route check the Stucchi crossover fit first as some have found problems with alignment with rest of the exhaust system. That way you can do any bending or tweeking before the coating is applied.

Guest ratchethack

What txrider says. To my knowledge, all Stucchi x-overs are stainless steel. Mine is. As txrider says, there's info you'll be interested in if you do a search. If you're still interested in ceramic coating, Jet-Hot did a great job for me on my dual-sport pipe & I recommend them highly. ;)

Having taken delivery yesterday, I'm amazed that the Stucchi item appears to be made of mild steel, not stainless!

Many thanks,

61512[/snapback]

It is stainless but of a different grade than the stock exhaust. It will polish very nicely and match your stock system much better although it is still a slightly different shade.

Guest rollingthunder

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If it IS stainless, then I'll polish it up - I'm doing the collector pipes at the moment as they're becoming badly oxidised, so another couple of hours on the x-over won't be a problem (for me that is - the missus will disagree!).

GREAT bike MikeC - very very nice :bier:

Thanks again all.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If it IS stainless, then I'll polish it up - I'm doing the collector pipes at the moment as they're becoming badly oxidised, so another couple of hours on the x-over won't be a problem (for me that is - the missus will disagree!).

GREAT bike MikeC - very very nice  :bier:

Thanks again all.

61537[/snapback]

It better be stainless: I didn't pay £200 for a bit of bent drainpipe!

Guest bshpilot
I had HPC (High Performance Coatings) do the exhaust on my California.  Highly recommand them.

61526[/snapback]

WOW ! wonder what my v11 would like like w/ black pipes...hummmm

Txrider...Thanks

Stucci crossover on my California is SS. I also have the Stucci headers with crossover in front of the alternator which is SS on the California. HPC coated the inside as well as the outside of both. The Lafronconi Competizione's are only coated on the outside, they don't coat the inside of baffeled mufflers. I used heat wrap on the front crossover to protect it from road debris.

Looks sweet.

I've just bought a Stucchi crossover, after dropping my bambino and snapping one of the outlet pipes clean off  :homer: Closer examination showed numerous cracks at all four corners, so I decided to get a replacement.

Two questions arise now - firstly, will the meeting of stainless steel (Mistral cans) and mild steel (crossover) cause an electrolytic reaction/corrosion? Secondly, can anyone recommend a good quality exhaust paint?  :luigi:  I'm thinking of POR-20 or POR-15 Black Velvet.

Many thanks,

61512[/snapback]

Is cracking of the crossover common to all v 11 sports, or only certain years? I recently removed my 2002 fpr polishing and it had reinforcements at all 4 outlet pipes.....

I had Jet-Hot ceramic coat my header pipes and Stucchi x-over and love it!!! 2 week turn-a-round, about $150, and looks great. I unsuccessfully tried to post a pic here, but if you want to see it just provide an e-mail address and I'll send you a pic.

-Carl

I had Jet-Hot ceramic coat my header pipes and Stucchi x-over and love it!!! 2 week turn-a-round, about $150, and looks great. I unsuccessfully tried to post a pic here, but if you want to see it just provide an e-mail address and I'll send you a pic.

-Carl

61672[/snapback]

Carl,

Shoot me a picture, curious to see what a V11 with black pipes looks like. I was thinking of doing mine but the multi-colored look of the stock headers seems to go well with a V11.

capurso1@optonline.net

Mike