Breva weirdness

Tim

to change the Breva's air filter requires the removal of a cylinder....

61554[/snapback]

That's not too bad. You should see what you've got to do to polish the crank.

It's a pain. Every time that I check mine, it's as oily as it ever was. Must be a seal gone or something.

Guest ratchethack
You should see what you've got to do to polish the crank.

Don't think I want to see, thank you. Is polishing the crank a group activity in County Down? -_-

Is polishing the crank a group activity?

61583[/snapback]

I could say that it depends how big it is, but you might misinterpret – so I'll not say that.

photo_5.jpgI'll say,

I never heard of that kind of approach before.

It must be an American thing.

Weird.

Guest ratchethack
OK I don't like to boast, but

rta96c_crank.jpg

so the answer is, 'yes'.

My my, that IS a big one! :o It appears in your photo that there's a Leprechaun "a' wearin' the green" hard at work, and that polishing the crank may in fact be an Irish team sport...I know when I've been out-cranked...nothing like that in the US (that I know of...) but then again, YMMV. <_<

Friend of mine (admittedly a Laverda rider) claims that to change the Breva's air filter requires the removal of a cylinder....

shurely shome mishtake.....

61554[/snapback]

That's funny, Laverda owners don't usually think so illogically. Moto Guzzi, Laverda. Both stone simple, old school, and easy to repair.

Bet large sums of money!!!

Ciao, Steve

My riding cohort with the early Trimph Tiger, 'Steamers' they call them, tells me the carb rack must be pulled to change the air filter. But that's the worst I've heard of.

Guest aironepony

post-1243-1127977874_thumb.jpgMy Guzzi 500S has no filter to worry about.

Simple servicing by the removal of the remains of small children and dogs that have been sucked off the pavement (sidewalk) is all that is required......... :thumbsup:

I recognize this picture. It is for an engine for a ship being built in Japan. Touted as the largest diesel ever made.

61632[/snapback]

Worlds most powerful diesal engine in the world

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi Works of Japan's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where some of these pictures were taken.

It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.

The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:

Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)

Length: 89 feet

Height: 44 feet

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm

Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs per hp per hour (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/hp/hour. At maximum economy the engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency. That is, more than 50% of the energy in the fuel in converted to motion.

For comparison, most automotive and small aircraft engines have BSFC figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/hp/hr range and 25-30% thermal efficiency range.

Even at it's most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

My my, that IS a big one! :o  It appears in your photo that there's a Leprechaun "a' wearin' the green" hard at work,

61592[/snapback]

That's not a Leprechaun. That's a giant. :o

My riding cohort with the early Trimph Tiger, 'Steamers' they call them, tells me the carb rack must be pulled to change the air filter. But that's the worst I've heard of.

61605[/snapback]

That's true on my Trophy as well, which uses the same basic engine. I should note that, on the Trophy at least, you don't replace the air filter, you replace the entire air box, and it gets checked/replaced at 26k miles. The air box splits into two horns just in front of the battery and runs under the bodywork toward the rear of the bike. The actual air intakes (two of 'em) face toward the rear as well, which keeps out a lot of dust and such.